Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times

Advertisements

Correction: Highland Lake Road is to be North Highland Lake Road.

I have traveled on North Highland Lake Road often in the past nineteen years. The curves around Ingle's #177, 220 North Highland Lake Road, Flat Rock, North Carolina 28731-8568, and from Highland Park Road to Highland Lake Drive are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM

Interstate 26 exit 49 (United States Route 64) is proposed to be rebuilt into a oontraflow interchange. Loops from United States Route 64 onto Interstate 26 would be removed. They would be replaced by two left turn lanes onto Interstate 26 in both directions.

Interstate 26/United States Route 64 contraflow alternative

Further reading

Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 AM

526 posts, read 459,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Interstate 26 exit 49 (United States Route 64) is proposed to be rebuilt into a oontraflow interchange. Loops from United States Route 64 onto Interstate 26 would be removed. They would be replaced by two left turn lanes onto Interstate 26 in both directions.

Interstate 26/United States Route 64 contraflow alternative

Further reading
This makes no sense. There is no reason to change it now, no crossovers, no left turns.
Why would they screw with something that works.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 AM

The problem is the cloverleaf loops and lane weaving. Cloverleafs are effective if they have a collector/distributor lane.

I do not know if a diverging diamond interchange has been considered as an alternative.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
The cloverleaf works, just not safely. There's not enough room for safe acceleration, deceleration and merging for current and future traffic volumes, and the footprint of the interchange can't be increased due to the proximity of businesses and residences. The current interchange doesn't meet modern design standards, and has to be rebuilt before the I-26 widening can continue to U.S. 25 at East Flat Rock. Three projects to widen the section of I-26 between I-40 and U.S. 64 are scheduled to be let next year.

A Times-News article did mention that a DDI interchange is being considered, as well as other partial cloverleaf designs. The DDI would remove all loops, but the contraflow would still maintain loops off of I-26, just no loops on. A DDI is also planned at the U.S. 25 Fletcher exit as part of the I-26 widening.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Did plans for Interstate 26 exit 44 (United States Route 25 north/United States Route 25 Business south) change recently from a partial cloverleaf to a diverging diamond interchange?

Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 AM

NCDOT received a lot of negative feedback about having to take homes and businesses for the loop onto I-26 WB (public hearing map). The project website says that two other alternatives are being considered, but the above article says that they're going with the DDI.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:20 AM

526 posts, read 459,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The problem is the cloverleaf loops and lane weaving. Cloverleafs are effective if they have a collector/distributor lane.

I do not know if a diverging diamond interchange has been considered as an alternative.
I agree with this headed towards Asheville from Four Seasons can be tricky to a non experienced driver.
This would be taken care off when they widen 26 though, getting off 26 on Four Seasons is fine.
Have ya been up to I think it's Long Shoals or Airport Rd and see the new Cluster up there?
The DOT just in the last month was on the local news and admitted congestion and accidents have not decreased. The buffoon went on to say people just don't understand the layout! Really. I gave yet to go up there and not sit thru several lights and seeing others flying around to miss the next light.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
NCDOT received a lot of negative feedback about having to take homes and businesses for the loop onto I-26 WB (public hearing map). The project website says that two other alternatives are being considered, but the above article says that they're going with the DDI.
Converting Interstate 26 exit 44 (United States Route 25 north/United States Route 25 Business south [Asheville Highway]) from a diamond interchange to a partial cloverleaf interchange would require acquiring land.

I am viewing the diverging diamond interchange alternative. I think this would be better going forward.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
I agree with this headed towards Asheville from Four Seasons can be tricky to a non experienced driver.
This would be taken care off when they widen 26 though, getting off 26 on Four Seasons is fine.
Have ya been up to I think it's Long Shoals or Airport Rd and see the new Cluster up there?
The DOT just in the last month was on the local news and admitted congestion and accidents have not decreased. The buffoon went on to say people just don't understand the layout! Really. I gave yet to go up there and not sit thru several lights and seeing others flying around to miss the next light.
The interchange at Long Shoals Rd. is called a single-point urban interchange (SPUI). I prefer this configuration to the diverging diamond interchange (DDI) that is found at Airport Rd., but a SPUI is generally more expensive to construct. A DDI can be retrofitted pretty easily into an existing interchange. Several DDI's have been built on I-85 north of Charlotte and are proposed elsewhere, so it seems to be "the thing" for NCDOT right now. If a DDI is constructed at Fletcher and Four Seasons, that will be three in a row on I-26.

I personally like the "partial cloverleaf with free flow ramps" (top left corner in the graphic above) better than the other options for Four Seasons. It's simple, more familiar, less expensive, uses existing ramps rather than new pavement, and has less traffic signals and phases. But I'm sure that NCDOT will pick the most convoluted and expensive design possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina