Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,828 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking into a job that would relocate us from Rochester NY to the area in or around Hendersonville, NC. We know very little about the area. We are a family of 5, kids 9 & 7 years and 6 months. We are trying to do the pro and con thing, could anyone help us out with an idea of what the utilities run. We think that we might want to rent a home, till we are sure that we like the area. If anyone has any info for us we would be grateful.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-19-2008 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:17 PM

79 posts, read 359,609 times
I to am from western NY state and moved to Hendersonville area 15 years ago so I am very familiar with both areas. Here it goes: Winters are much much milder in NC, we had our first snow in 3 years last week, Its a lot easier to heat your house when its 30 degrees than 4. House prices in Hendersonville are much higher there are no 90 thousand dollar houses here. however Property taxes are a pittence ( 1/3 of NY state) This area is a retirement, resort, vacation area. The money here (and theres lots of it) has nothing to do with jobs, people come here with money. The area has grown a lot and there are people from all over which makes it kind of interesting. Because the area is growing and doing well its upbeat vs depressed. Even though Hendersonville area is a "small town" it is much more congested than Ontario county there are few large tracts of land and open space like we know it. The History, culture and education level is not like NY state. This is the new and NY is the old.
I hope this helps, best of luck to you.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 33,305 times
Agree with the statement that Hendersonville doesn't have the jobs but does have the money from influx of retirees from the North and those moving back up from Florida during summer. People COME to Hendersonville with money. They work in Asheville. I'm from the Albany/Adirondack area and the weather is sooo much better here. Mild year round. Utils are so cheap it amazes me. We have lovely mountains all over, like my beloved Adirondacks. And yes, no true cheap homes except for really bad homes you really don't want. Not to be phoney about it. We like it here but it is the South and you do have to get used to the different culture. Yes, we do have a fair amount of Northerners here and they keep coming but it is still the South with its own culture. It is NOT Upstate NY (good, bad, and ugly- are different for both areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina