Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,874 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance are considering a few areas to move to. We currently live in Indianapolis, IN.

Myself: I have not finished college, I did receive my bA in Holistic Health, though I've done nothing with it. Want to eventually receive a PhD in Archeology-related studies. I currently work for myself, selling herbal beauty products and new age curios. I make a decent living, and am not overly concerned about a huge mountain of material wealth, just a comfortable life. I am also an accomplished painter and sculptor, though I haven't begun to sell any of my works yet.

I am a US citizen but grew up near Wales, then have spent my life in the US living in Seattle, Santa Fe, St. Louis, etc. I've traveled my whole life, throughout the US and Europe. Loved all those areas in lived in, but I cannot stand Indianapolis, I find it very conservative and not at all environmentally aware. Also, there is little diversity and very little culture here, and it drives me absolutely batty.

My fiance: He has a bA in Business Management, has great references as well as is desirable for most companies to hire in regards to any management position that relates to accounts, etc. He has great credit, has been less of a free spirit than I have, so he looks a lot better on paper. He is flexible as far as what industry he works in, but he wants to be a part of something that is headed in a more moral/conscious direction longterm. He is a musician and wants to focus on developing more of that eventually and it's important he is in a place that has that scene/environment.

We are hoping to find someplace that has a small town feel, but resources of a larger (Northwest coast) city in regards to activities, causes, things to be involved with. We want to purchase our first house, preferably an old Victorian to renovate (we both have previous experience in that sort of endeavour), and have looked at the pricing of such places, the range is between 100-300 K.

Just wondering if Asheville would be a good fit for us and what the current socio-political outlook is there? We have also been discussing Seattle, but I feel the cost of living there, especially property pricing, is significantly risen in the past few years, as well as it being a very long and expensive move that I'm worried may not be best for my fiance consider the distance from his family
(whom he's very close to). And I'm not sure my business would fare as well in that area, as it's a large city not as focused on local shops/small businesses.

Thanks for any input or advice, it's truly appreciated.

Last edited by inquiringmindful; 02-04-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:50 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
just check out pay scales First. Vs cost of living.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiringmindful View Post
Me and my fiance are considering a few areas to move to. We currently live in Indianapolis, IN.

Myself: I have not finished college, I did receive my bA in Holistic Health, though I've done nothing with it. Want to eventually receive a PhD in Archeology-related studies. I currently work for myself, selling herbal beauty products and new age curios. I make a decent living, and am not overly concerned about a huge mountain of material wealth, just a comfortable life. I am also an accomplished painter and sculptor, though I haven't begun to sell any of my works yet.

I am a US citizen but grew up near Wales, then have spent my life in the US living in Seattle, Santa Fe, St. Louis, etc. I've traveled my whole life, throughout the US and Europe. Loved all those areas in lived in, but I cannot stand Indianapolis, I find it very conservative and not at all environmentally aware. Also, there is little diversity and very little culture here, and it drives me absolutely batty.

My fiance: He has a bA in Business Management, has great references as well as is desirable for most companies to hire in regards to any management position that relates to accounts, etc. He has great credit, has been less of a free spirit than I have, so he looks a lot better on paper. He is flexible as far as what industry he works in, but he wants to be a part of something that is headed in a more moral/conscious direction longterm. He is a musician and wants to focus on developing more of that eventually and it's important he is in a place that has that scene/environment.

We are hoping to find someplace that has a small town feel, but resources of a larger (Northwest coast) city in regards to activities, causes, things to be involved with. We want to purchase our first house, preferably an old Victorian to renovate (we both have previous experience in that sort of endeavour), and have looked at the pricing of such places, the range is between 100-300 K.

Just wondering if Asheville would be a good fit for us and what the current socio-political outlook is there? We have also been discussing Seattle, but I feel the cost of living there, especially property pricing, is significantly risen in the past few years, as well as it being a very long and expensive move that I'm worried may not be best for my fiance consider the distance from his family
(whom he's very close to). And I'm not sure my business would fare as well in that area, as it's a large city not as focused on local shops/small businesses.

Thanks for any input or advice, it's truly appreciated.

That is a huge spread in price range. Your dream of a Victorian to renovate may have to wait until you settle in, you both have jobs with good income and so forth. Rent anyplace you go for awhile, with your criteria, that would be prudent.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That is a huge spread in price range. Your dream of a Victorian to renovate may have to wait until you settle in, you both have jobs with good income and so forth. Rent anyplace you go for awhile, with your criteria, that would be prudent.

I appreciate the mention of this, but the house was not really what I was talking about/focusing on, nor was I asking how to buy our first house together. I have owned property before and have savings, as does he. We both currently have good income and jobs.

I'm more trying to get a feel for the area, the culture, the industries that are doing well in Asheville, as in what quality of life would we have. Sorry if I was unclear with this.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiringmindful View Post
I appreciate the mention of this, but the house was not really what I was talking about/focusing on, nor was I asking how to buy our first house together. I have owned property before and have savings, as does he. We both currently have good income and jobs.

I'm more trying to get a feel for the area, the culture, the industries that are doing well in Asheville, as in what quality of life would we have. Sorry if I was unclear with this.

Then visit for at least a week or two and get a feel for the area. It can be quite diverse, and your question is not unusual, and helpful replies can be found on many threads in this city-data forum with a quick search through past threads. Best to you and your fiance.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:31 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
I am kind of curious - in what way is Asheville notably diverse? It seems that you have: a blue collar Appalachian culture, a quirky hippy culture (mostly white middle/upper middle class), a wealthy retiree culture, a small AA culture, and a small mainstream middle american culture.

I suppose this is more diverse than other small cities in the region but it seems to pale in comparison to the melting - pot cities. Though it won't surprise me if you have a Hispanic and Oriental population with some restaurants, but I seem encounter this in even the tiniest towns o I'm not sure it makes Asheville unique.

Just asking - as a visitor I don't seem to encounter others besides these groups.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM

you say you have incomes, but that's now. have you checked to see what pay would be in Asheville???

Old 02-04-2015, 05:02 PM

i guess its diverse ie. compared to other surrounding towns.

but i wouldn't say Asheville is exactly "diverse".

Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I am kind of curious - in what way is Asheville notably diverse? It seems that you have: a blue collar Appalachian culture, a quirky hippy culture (mostly white middle/upper middle class), a wealthy retiree culture, a small AA culture, and a small mainstream middle american culture.

I suppose this is more diverse than other small cities in the region but it seems to pale in comparison to the melting - pot cities. Though it won't surprise me if you have a Hispanic and Oriental population with some restaurants, but I seem encounter this in even the tiniest towns o I'm not sure it makes Asheville unique.

Just asking - as a visitor I don't seem to encounter others besides these groups.

For a very small city, yes, it is quite diverse. This is an opinion forum, and the OP asked for opinions.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 AM

39 posts, read 64,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I am kind of curious - in what way is Asheville notably diverse?
It's not diverse unless you mean 'mostly white people who like to eat Americanized versions of food from other cultures and occasionally listen to music from other cultures.'

When it comes to actually being around people from other cultures, not so much of that going on around here. Sure there's an African band or two, a few Middle Eastern chefs, etc...but not even close to what you'd see in a big city...not even proportionally close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina