Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:32 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times

Advertisements

It depends on how you define "diverse". The City of Asheville now has a population edging at 90,000 and the Asheville SMSA is close to 400,000. If you choose to define diversity as a wide range and significant numbers of various ethnic groups then Asheville does not fit in that ranking. However, every city has some pockets of different types of people, even if they are in the greater majority "white." If you look within sections of the City, there is diversity of lifestyle types. It's not a Florida retirement community here, where every similar house is lived in by white geriatric folks who fear any cold weather and drive to "the club" in their golf cart. This brings us back to those who post here who do not live in the City of Asheville, but look out their window and think Asheville must be like what they see. Or, they drive through downtown, see a few people who look like their concept of a "hippie" and believe that this is what the population must be like. Compared to rural and larger inner city areas, where lifestyles are very similar, this City has a good mixed variety of lifestyles, although these lean towards "liberal," that term also having a wide range of definition. I know this because I live in the City and have met in this City a variety of artists, young couples (gay and straight), some with children, foreign relocates, country type folks who have lived here 50+ years, and many people who moved here and brought with them very interesting backgrounds and skills. What they all share in common is this is where they chose to live. In my range of life habitats, at this time Asheville in the South is as good as it gets. Move into a "gated community" if you really want to see a lack of lifestyle diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:02 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
not sure who thats directed to^^^ we all live/have lived in AVL.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:07 PM

91 posts, read 112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i guess its diverse ie. compared to other surrounding towns.

but i wouldn't say Asheville is exactly "diverse".

Sounds like it, definitely compared to other towns. The term "diversity" is subjective though..

Old 02-06-2015, 05:21 PM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
not sure who thats directed to^^^ we all live/have lived in AVL.
That wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I wanted to get an alternative perspective into the stream of discussion for those that focus on the two common themes of "no diversity in Asheville" and "Asheville is full of hippies." Now, if those two theories were true there would not be consistent growth of a variety of people moving here, other than a mega stampede of hippies all stamped out of the same mold. Also, keep in mind that I am addressing Asheville as defined by city limits, not any outlying adjoining towns or the county. Forum discussions are complicated by a lack of definition of terms and of other cues that take place in face-to-face conservations. I can't find a "hippie" emoticon to add here.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:03 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Diversity in Asheville is mostly within white culture range not much racial or ethnic.
My comment was not meant as criticism just statement as to what is here. If someone is looking for a place that has a large mix of racial and ethnic groups this isn't it. If you are looking for a place that tolerates a variety of lifestyles, friendly people, great architecture, tons to do from outdoors to evening of food and music Asheville is it. Not to mention our beautiful location and community spirit.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiringmindful View Post
I'm more trying to get a feel for the area, the culture, the industries that are doing well in Asheville, as in what quality of life would we have. Sorry if I was unclear with this.
How much do you know about Asheville already? Specifically, what has cause it to be on your short list of places to move? Presumably you know something about the "vibe" or you wouldn't be thinking of moving there. Have you ever been? That should be the first step.

The job market in Asheville is not said to be particularly great--no matter how great your fiance' might look "on paper", there are probably dozens in competition for every professional job opening. I wouldn't make any assumptions about getting snapped up for the dream job within a month, in other words. Of course, you'll land a job before moving anywhere, I'm presuming.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
How much do you know about Asheville already? Specifically, what has cause it to be on your short list of places to move? Presumably you know something about the "vibe" or you wouldn't be thinking of moving there. Have you ever been? That should be the first step.

The job market in Asheville is not said to be particularly great--no matter how great your fiance' might look "on paper", there are probably dozens in competition for every professional job opening. I wouldn't make any assumptions about getting snapped up for the dream job within a month, in other words. Of course, you'll land a job before moving anywhere, I'm presuming.
I notice a good portion of people assume/say you have to do this. It can be pretty tough to land a job in a city you're not already a resident of, if it's between you and someone who lives there already, you'll probably lose out. I lived in Portland, OR for a while, and I was told over and over again "you won't get a job", "The job market here is beyond terrible", etc etc. Both me and my fiance got great jobs IMMEDIATELY, I actually had 3 job offers and got to choose. You could say that's luck, but I'm not going to consider it luck, but the truth is, it's hard to land a job when you're out of state. A lot of the times moving with a chunk of change and then vigorously looking is the only option. If you do that, just make sure you can support yourself for 4-6 months with the money you move down with.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I notice a good portion of people assume/say you have to do this. It can be pretty tough to land a job in a city you're not already a resident of, if it's between you and someone who lives there already, you'll probably lose out. I lived in Portland, OR for a while, and I was told over and over again "you won't get a job", "The job market here is beyond terrible", etc etc. Both me and my fiance got great jobs IMMEDIATELY, I actually had 3 job offers and got to choose. You could say that's luck, but I'm not going to consider it luck, but the truth is, it's hard to land a job when you're out of state. A lot of the times moving with a chunk of change and then vigorously looking is the only option. If you do that, just make sure you can support yourself for 4-6 months with the money you move down with.

We usually recommend expenses for one full year. Remember, Asheville has nowhere near the population or diversified industry as the Portland area. Always have a backup plan.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 16,895 times
I stayed in Asheville for a year. Stay in Ashville and the city is diverse. go the suburbs and a gay couple would get wise cracks even from the kids cutting lumber at Lowes, it happens so often you just turn the other cheek. Just an uneducated dude and only job he could get was a minimum wage at a hardware store. Which by the way of jobs. Unless your in the professions. You will not find high salaries, medium only LOW salaries, And I mean minimum wages jobs only. Whether it be KOHLS, malls jobs, office jobs, government a few cents more, one of the many resorts minimum wage, but they fee you at least. So come for the right reasons, beautiful weather, Mind you it gets just as damm cold as upstate NY in winter, except no snow....just black ice that you have to watch out for...hope that helps

Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
just check out pay scales First. Vs cost of living.
We moved to Dallas, TX (NCSU grads) when we were younger because the pay scale in Asheville is poor to say the least. What I can see it is worse than 20 years ago.

Our salaries more than doubled in Texas with a lower cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina