Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM

26 posts, read 34,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you want to continue working in architecture, I would suggest going wherever you find the best job. Since there are probably slim pickings in western NC, I would second the recommendation of Colorado. Perhaps also Idaho, Utah and Oregon, wherever there is growth and money to spend on new buildings.
Yeah first and foremost I have to go where the jobs/money are so Western NC might not be the place to start but maybe eventually move to after getting somewhat used to the state and established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 AM

474 posts, read 848,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi27 View Post
I have really been considering those areas out west as well, they fit my lifestyle perfectly in a lot of ways. I am just concerned about being so far away from family. Colorado worries me for similar reasons as Virginia, I hear its very expensive and just getting more and more expensive. Have you been to Salt Lake City by any chance? It looks like a really cool place.
Yes, I lived in that area for a few years. Great for outdoors enthusiasts, as you have the mountains in one part of the state and the desert and Moab in another. The snow is the best in the world for skiing/snowboarding. And the lift lines aren't long like in Colorado. The people are very live and let live. SLC is a beautiful city and is not crowded or congested like Denver.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 12,850 times
Default You can build me a small house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi27 View Post
thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate your input. I have more questions now I do eventually plan on coming down and checking out a few areas at some point before making any move. How about Raleigh and Charlotte, I hear the most about those two as far as being cool places to live. My only concern with NC and the South in general is the heat, I am a cold weather person and I am worried that I would really hate the heat but I also hear the western parts of the state are much cooler temp wise. I would miss the snow too. I am trying to find a state that has the best combo of living cost and fits my lifestyle and NC seems to fit that all except for the heat. Are there any areas down there that are really building a lot? What has really gotten my attention with NC is the real estate. The houses are selling for half and even a quarter of the cost of houses up here and the taxes are sooooo much cheaper.
I'm asking relocating questions, too! Good luck to you. I'll track responses to your questions & can't wait to learn the final results of your relocating. I'll look you up once I find some unrestricted property.....

Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 34,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPinCT View Post
I'm asking relocating questions, too! Good luck to you. I'll track responses to your questions & can't wait to learn the final results of your relocating. I'll look you up once I find some unrestricted property.....
Good luck to you as well! Its a big decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina