Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,882,453 times

Advertisements

before we moved from Delaware to Asheville, we also did quite some research. on bestplaces net there was a way to compare cities health wise.
regarding the air quality there was a chart from 1-100 (100 is best). my town in Delaware ranked 9.8 , asheville ranked 78.4 It's still not superb (and we have to deal with those coal powered plans in tennessee, who send over quite some pollution) - but what a difference going from under 10 to over 70 !!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 AM

252 posts, read 474,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
It appears half the population is Republican there won't be as many green initiatives there.
Being aware of this shows knowledge of current events, as opposed to burning bridges, imo. That's a great thing in a college grad! For example, in 2011 & 2012, the House Republicans voted over 300 times against the environment. This included an effort to bar the EPA from requiring power plants to reduce carbon pollution, as well as end the Clean Air Act, to be replaced by pollution levels dictated by industry costs. Clean air doesn't seem to be a concern at all to them.

House Republicans' Historic Anti-Environment Efforts in 2011 and 2012

Last edited by MovingOver2; 03-07-2013 at 05:45 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
most of MLK's kids remain republicans. The girls are anyway. His son, I am not so sure. Funny that.
I know Yolanda King & her mother are famously pro gay rights. And Bernice King spoke at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. Plus she included the LGBT group in the 2012 MLKJr parade. She also publicly said that Jesus would be with 99% Occupy. He was fighting for the poor when he died and so she thought he would be against 40% of the wealth in the US belonging to 1% of the population.

Where did you hear all of MLK Jr's daughters were Republican? Just curious. I couldn't find anything about that online.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,851 times
MovingOver, this is not directed against your post, it is just the timing of my thoughts.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask: is there some reason this thread needs to swirl into yet another tired, political, finger-pointing, and eventually name-calling discussion?

We can spend pages (until Kayak pulls the plug) re-re-re-rehashing (truncated for bandwidth limitations) how if Democrats only rules the world it would be pollution free, there would be no hunger, peace would reign, and there would be total harmony, or if how only Republicans reigned the country would not be setting records for public debt, the world would be a more moral place, people would be freer from government micromanagement, and free to enjoy the fruits of their own labor. That, a good discussion of unicorns, and $4 will buy me a cup of coffee and a muffin tomorrow.

The OP asked a question and the answer is pretty narrow in scope. The fact that a political leaning/observation was included is not a license to turn this into another discussion that I do not come onto this site to hear. I am sorry if this offends anybody, but let's provide the information and leave the political jabs alone please.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Hey Mule, I get what you are saying, and I respect the timing. But just to be clear, I was responding to others' political posts here as well as the OP. I wasn't the first to focus in on what the OP wrote re: Republicans....And isn't interesting how you threw in your own sarcastic political views using some very theatrical verbiage while posting on how we shouldn't turn this into a political discussion.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 PM

487 posts, read 897,352 times
Oh, brother...Asheville does not sound like the place for me. It would be constant arguing with nonsensical Republicans. Democrats are not a bunch of little fairies as you like to portray them, they are simply people with a lot more sense as to what's true and good. Unlike "y'all" who like your SUV's and cockamamey religion and meat and pollution. The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina