Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 AM

91 posts, read 307,425 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a little about Black Mountain and surrounding comunities. What is real estate like there, schools? Have a possible interview up there (live in Georgia now). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,621,811 times
Here is a page + of full threads on Black Mtn...handy Search This Forum, upper right tab.
I am sure posters familiar with B Mtn will also post opins.
GL, mD

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=38280356

Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagadawgs View Post
Can anyone tell me a little about Black Mountain and surrounding comunities. What is real estate like there, schools? Have a possible interview up there (live in Georgia now). Thanks!
Black Mountain is very desirable little town to live in.

Many folks would live there if they had an opportunity like yours.

Once you visit I don't think you'll be disappointed

Good luck with the job interview!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Thanks Lovemtns/MD. I am just afraid real estate is going to be a bit high up ther compared to where I live now.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,410 times
Black Mountain is a small town of around 8,000 people with fantastic views and a nice cozy feel to it. The downtown area is small but has great shops. I really don't know much about the school or real estate here as I'm a renter but apartments and houses get nabbed up quickly from what I understand. There is a beautiful, people friendly lake called Lake Tomahawk that has a walking path around it (0.55 miles around) and a community pool. The people here are laid back and friendly and will be willing to answer your questions if you have any. Asheville is about a 10-15 minute drive away and Swannanoa is just right around the corner. There is a recreation park that is close by that has some trails (Oaks Trail is a paved walking path and there are some unpaved nearby that lead into the woods).

If you're looking for big retail stores, you won't find them here. Walmart and others are some drive away. Asheville would be your main shopping hub (and they have a mall) for when you cannot find an item here. Buying local and supporting local activities and events is something that you can look forward too and you'll meet locals while you're at it. There is a Sourwood Festival that goes on downtown (I believe that happens really soon!) that has music, food & drink, and vendors. The event is a no-alcohol event so you don't get wacky people stumbling around and acting dumb.

There is a little visitors center that'll have all the information you need I'm sure.

You'll love it here .

EDIT: Here is a webcam downtown - This is "heart" of downtown -> http://blackmountainwebcam.com/

Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks Quert! Place sounds amazing!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,694 times
You'll find the mountains to be a great place to live. Black Mountain is a quaint little town on the outskirts of Asheville. Real estate values are all over. There are deals and there are those holding out. My advice would be to seek out a foreclosure and/or find an agent that knows the market-many don't. Let me know if I can be of help.

Jim

Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,758,364 times
Black Mountain has quite a distinguished history. Back in the '30s there was a radical liberal arts college there where some of the foremost writers of the Southern Renaissance taught or had some connection. It's a lovely area.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded! Unfortunately, I never received another call on the position. Maybe I will get to retire there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina