Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM

121 posts, read 295,375 times

Advertisements

Are the Great Smokies similar to the Adirondacks in NY? What are the must sees in the park for a one day trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
Are the Great Smokies similar to the Adirondacks in NY?
What are the must sees in the park for a one day trip?
No specifics aside from looking up the park website to see what sorts of attractions or activities suit you...
But one piece of advice: Avoid the RV hours (10A-4P) on the road. Be somewhere else.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Are the Great Smokies similar to the Adirondacks in NY? What are the must sees in the park for a one day trip?
Oh gosh no!

While I really like the Adirondacks there is just no comparison to the majesty and beauty of the Smokey Mountain National Park

You'll find lots of info on what to do here: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 PM

91 posts, read 286,051 times
Go to Cades Cove in either the early morning (7-10) or late afternoon (6ish-9) and drive the loop to see all the deer! Clingmans Dome is beautiful on a clear day as well!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM

100 posts, read 318,226 times
Quote:
nah,
I was born and raised in Western/Central NY, just a little south of Old Forge, NY.

The Great Smokys are nothing like the Adirondack's enormous size, diversity of wildlife, quietness, good air quality, lack of mass amounts of people, great numbers of lakes/ rivers, lots of snow in the winter, fishing, canoeing, lake side camps, intense thunderstorms, even minor earthquakes, etc.

No comparison. I've been up and down the Smokys--TN/NC sides and so far nothing comes close to the Adirondacks, minus the Sierra Nevada MTNS of California and perhaps the Colorado Rockies which I have never visited.

But with that being said, the Smokys are a great getaway from the lower elevations to cool off, but you will have to contend with many more people. The Smoky Mtn Park does not have the abundant amount of interconnected lakes and rivers that the Adirondack's boasts ...but only a few rivers and man-made lakes within/near the smokys, with very strict fishing regulation, as the few rivers that do flow at the base of Smoky Mtns are heavily trodden by the masses of people and business growth(Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge). Lots of trails though, and unique ecosystems and flora that is typically found in Canada...so that makes the Smoky Mtns area very unique especially being so far south.

Smoky Mtn park is the most visited National Park, so the park gets packed.
I visited the Adirondacks last year and didn't want to come back to NC. The Adirondacks are vast and peaceful with water everywhere. You actually feel alone in the Andirondaks and sense a Native American "feel" up there. I also like the white barked trees(Aspens, white barked Birch) in the Adirondacks that contrast the darker pines, mosses that grow on house sized boulders, and wispy large ferns.

But all nature is cool in its own way, and there are some really nice areas here in Western NC/Eastern TN, but you won't see a moose around here, or a mtn lion like you might see up there.

Per Andirondak's park website: "The Adirondack Park boasts 3,000 lakes and ponds, and 30,000 miles of rivers and streams" and ...6million acres!
http://visitadirondacks.com/adironda...dack-park.html

Smokys size is "522,419 acres" and within a days drive of 2/3 of the US population....so more people...more air pollution.

Visit and play around in both like I have.
I like the Adirondacks better, but the Smokys is not a bad escape being so far south. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice drive through NC and up through VA.
To each their own.

Last edited by eclipticX; 06-06-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina