Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,700 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to the Asheville area in August. I am a massage therapist/esthetician. I visit the Asheville area about twice a year, but it is not enough to get a real idea of the area. I will be visiting a couple of times before the move to get more of a grasp of the area. One, I need to find a great area to live in Asheville that has everything. Two I would love to get comments on companies I could work for or maybe a good area to open a small business. Asheville is a great and beautiful area that I am looking forward to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM

679 posts, read 1,463,463 times
We recently went through a stretch of people announcing they are moving to Asheville on this board. Many without job plans, assuming things are less expensive here than they are, they are somehow the exception to the issues noted, and generally assuming they are going to find Atlantis. As a result, I think the usual contributors are a bit tired. That may explain the length of time with no responses.

We probably need more information in order to help or offer advice.

What is driving your move?
Where are you coming from (point of reference)?
When you say you want a neighborhood that “has everything,” what do you consider everything?
Is it just you making the move or are others involved?
If you don’t mind, what is your age group (20’s, 30’s 40’s, etc)?
What are your medium-long term goals?

I don’t want to be nosy, but all of those will affect the answers.

From what you have said, understand you will not be the only massage therapist/esthetician looking for. My pet phrase is if you shake the trees, massage therapists fall out. Employment is the 2-ton gorilla in this room.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,700 times
Well guess you answered that one for me. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,248,932 times
Beachy,
I think it's cool you're coming here to be a massage therapist. I need a massage right now! There are several group salon type places who keep several therapists on the staff... one was set up in the Westgate Shopping Center, which is just west of downtown over the bridge, hard right to a strip type mall with the Earth Fare there. Anyhow, I used to go to that Earth Fare and would walk over to the middle of the place, and they were down the hall on the right, with a chair in the window. I have their card around here somewhere, but I am exhausted right now from too many chores. I'll send you a message before the weekend. But you CAN look in the phone book for us and probably find a number of massage people, and perhaps find one that hires several staff people, and you could apply to those folks. There's also a beauty school here, you might could fit in somehow with them. And there's spas with the big hotels, like the Grove Park Inn.

If you are somewhere between 20-40 or so, you might like either living right in downtown in one of the condos (somewhat costly), or just north of downtown makes it real easy to get to everything going on there, because you can walk or bike over the bridges over I-240 to get there from the north part of downtown. There are rentals in the north areas, if you'll try to find some rental companies for Asheville online, you may find a few that have pictures and the cost and where they are. Whenever I find that massage card (if they're still in businesss, by the way), I'll also send you a link to a good place online that shows good pictures and has good descriptions.

Also, West Asheville is getting pretty popular, but it's a pretty good ways and lots of traffic lights to get into town. BUT they have been working on their semi "downtown" three-block area, has a pub, grocery, coffee place, stuff like that. Oh, and one other thing, but it's costly, is downtown in the Grove Arcade, they have condos that are I think only rented now, and they are in the several floors ABOVE the main floor, which is where all the shoppes are. You might could live upstairs, rent a small office/massage place downstairs, it would be heaven, and you could walk for whatever you need, it's limited access to the upstairs. But gosh, that would REALLY cost you. But thought I'd tip you off in case you had some extra cash.

I'll TRY to remember to send you a message, I think it automatically goes to whatever email you provide this website, or your name in the top right corner of the pages will come up in bold and it'll tell you that you have a message. GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina