Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times

Advertisements

Hey there Asheville Folks,

I'm currently living in Salisbury, NC (2hrs away) and am looking to move to Asheville ASAP! I've been here almost a year and a half for reasons beyond my control. I HATE IT!!! So after much traveling I have chosen Asheville as my next spoty to live. I have had noooo luck finding work the entire time I have been in NC. I moved here from Northampton: Western Mass, which is very similar to the mountain vibe.

I will be relocating myself, my cat and my disabled mom. My mother already has her name on waiting lists for housing so that front is covered. My main issue is getting a job. I have been told that Asheville is a tough job market, but afetr living in Salisbury where the unemployment rate is above 11% I'm confident I'd have a better shot in Asheville.

I'm not set on any certain job field, but just need to make around $12-13 hr to avoid working two jobs. I have extensive experience in healthcare, hospice, elder care, home care, and human services but only want to do that as last resort. My last job was as Director of a private pay homecare/ hospice agency, so I 'd really like a little break form all that.

This is what I'm blessed to have going for me :
1. I have decent computer skills, Microsoft Office, Peachtree Etc
2. Payroll, AR/AP experience
3. Management experience, office skills
4. I'm a great vegetarian cook
5. I do many odd jobs: cleaning
6: Childcare experience
7. Professional appearance
8. Hard Worker
9. Great references
10. 2 yrs higher ed @ community college (no degree)

I would be willing to do almost any job if the situation was right. I have been applying to area health care office positions, and have been looking online for jobs.

I really did start this post with the intent for it not to sound like a silly personal ad, lol.

If anyone out there has any advice on where I should look for work sinec I'm not from the area it would be so helpful! Fingers crossed that this post brings about something positive>>>

Thank you for taking the time to read through all this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Asheville is a resort/retirement city, there are jobs, but dont hold your breath. There are alot of physicians/dental practices and healthcare so if thats ur field you may do okay.

The economy is bad everywhere, I know Salisbury had to drive thru their on way back from Charlotte airport. Most of those towns have little but scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina