Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 AM

143 posts, read 368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by david 1939 View Post
Thanks. I was there to visit this summer and loved it. I get the sense there is a group for every conceivable interest (Buddhism for example). I also looked at real estate and the homes one can get for the sale price of Hartford homes were great. Not too sure of what are the best areas thought. I liked Arden, Weaverville and Asheville itself. I am also very interested in having a place to swim, hike and mountain bike. Thanks again for your input....
David,

Western North Carolina should have a lot of opportunities and a lot of things to keep you interested. There is a large hispanic poopulation in Asheville and in the surrounding areas. So, getting a part-time job or volunteer position working within your field shouldn't be a problem for you. However, if you are relying on a part-time position, please make sure to look into it closely before moving as there aren't a lot of jobs available in the area.

As for the real estate market and cost of living... there are absolutely a lot of great deals to be had in this area. You can get a lot more house in the Asheville area for the same price as what you would find in Hartford.

My husband and I moved here from Vermont about 5 years ago. While the cost of living in Vermont is high, it certainly isn't as high as Hartford. However, we noticed that in addition to the lower cost to buy a house, the property taxes here are quite a bit lower than what we were seeing in similar areas in Vermont. I'm certain that you'll find the same thing when you compare to Hartford. Of course, the locals still say that taxes are too high, but... in comparison...

Regardless of where you decide to move to in Western North Carolina, there are a lot of places for outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking and mountain biking. There are a lot of people that come to this area for just these things.

I think you'll really enjoy being able to retire to this area.

Best of luck!
Tanya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,413 times
thanks for your comment...I do believe we are here to "serve others." I also believe serving others is the best medicine for ourselves....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina