Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 PM

54 posts, read 195,307 times

Advertisements

We are looking into starting a business and/or possibly a franchise. What is needed or wanted that's not already there?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM

There must be something??

Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM

958 posts, read 2,622,105 times
For a city of its size, Asheville probably has too many restaurants, if that's what you might be thinking about. I know a lot of people on your Raleigh post said Dunkin Donuts, but we're getting them in Asheville here within the next few months. One place I always like that I've eaten at in various parts of the country, including in NC, but not around Asheville is Buffalo Wild Wings.
We have Wild Wing Cafe here, but they seem overpriced.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM

648 posts, read 2,981,137 times
IMO there is unmet demand for quality child care, especially in the South Asheville/Fletcher area. There are places around but not nearly enough.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM

What do you mean by child care? Day care or a babysitting service?

Thanks for the ideas.

It doesn't have to be a restaurant, any sort of store or business that is needed.

I also thought of a few things having to do with pets that Asheville area may or may not need, you kind folks can let me know: pet sitting service, doggie day care and/or a high end pet "resort" (kennel)? These are things that have had some success where I'm from in S. Florida, but is there any demand for these types of places/services there? I love dogs, I have 4, so these would be fun for me.

We are looking into both Asheville and Raleigh areas. I would prefer Asheville, I love the mountains!

Last edited by momtomany; 08-10-2007 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
I think you will find that Asheville is over run with people that provide all of these "services" as people have already moved here and setup their businesses. We have all the massage therapists, pet sitting, dog walking, baby sitting, delivery services, etc. etc. than the market needs.

I'm also amazed that you ask such an open ended question without any hint as to your skills or abilities, or if you have any money to invest (which franchises require). Determination is a requirement, but that alone without skills or knowledge in a field is a recipe for failure.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 PM

We have lots of skills and knowledge and abilities this is a general question. We are well aware of the requirement of most franchises, thanks for your concern regarding our finances.

Last edited by momtomany; 08-10-2007 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 05:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomany View Post
We have lots of skills and knowledge.....
Well in that case, might I recommend brain surgery

Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM

40 posts, read 158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomany View Post
We are looking into starting a business and/or possibly a franchise. What is needed or wanted that's not already there?

Thanks for any input!
Hi Momtomany,
I'm going to be tarred and feathered on this board but I have to say it....
We need a Dunkin Donuts.
I live in SC right now and there's some serious talk and complaints about not having a Dunkin Donuts. My daughters patients told her it's coming soon. Most people from the south have never had Dunkin Donuts with exception of Augusta, GA Even my church in Aiken sends someone to Augusta on Sunday mornings for their goodies. The coffee is much cheaper than all these fancy shmancy (is that a word?) coffee houses. Donuts are pretty good too.
I'm moving to Asheville soon and have no idea where the nearest Dunkin Donuts is. Woe is me.
Now, I'll just sit back and wait for the bashing posts.
Sorry, I just had to say it. LOL

Old 08-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, we are taking a second look at the Dunkin Donuts. There definitely seems to be a large demand for them everywhere these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina