Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,125 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Mills River this summer. My husband will be looking for work in the HVAC/R service field. What areas would be close for commuting.. What is the 'rush hour' like in this area? We currently live in Clearwater, FL and there is traffic at all times, but it is horrendous @ rush hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy.mama View Post
We may be relocating to Mills River this summer. My husband will be looking for work in the HVAC/R service field. What areas would be close for commuting.. What is the 'rush hour' like in this area? We currently live in Clearwater, FL and there is traffic at all times, but it is horrendous @ rush hours.
Hi Gypsy Mama. I live in MR too. Welcome to the neighborhood, you're going to love it here, I know I sure do.

Commutes can be tricky things around here, I guess it all depends on where in MR you will be living. I work downtown Asheville and my commute takes roughly 30 minutes. Now if you were going to be working in Hendersonville that commute would be about 15. Either way, it's really not that bad and other than Hwy 280 (Airport Road) the area isn't too congested.

If you need any other information about the area or want some feedback please send me a private message.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,774 times
There are HVAC companies in the Arden/Skyland/Fletcher area that would be near to Mills River. Also, as said above Hendersonville would be good. The Trane dealer here (Bullman) is very good but is located on the N side of town near Weaverville so would be a long commute as would anything over in E. Asheville/Swananoa area. Same goes for dealers in Leicester area. Jobs in this field are scarce and coveted so get one lined up before you move if money is an issue

Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,125 times
@ Cofga--Are refrigeration jobs hard to come by, too? My hubs will be able to work on any refrigeration (ice machine etc). Why are the jobs scarce in HVAC in that area?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM

765 posts, read 2,568,774 times
There are tons of threads here about the shortage of jobs in this area. The general recommendation is don't move here unless you have a job lined up or deep pockets to live on for 6 months or more while you job hunt. Good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Dear Gypsy,
If you want to browse jobs available in our area, the NC Employment Security Commission in Asheville has a job bank type of thing where you can look up work available via several links at this webpage:
ESC NC Individual Services: Job Search

To save you a little trouble, below is a link out of many listed, that is one of the main websites used at the NCES, and it's site where you do not have to register and log in to see jobs in various fields and areas of NC. When you go to this site, it has a map to guide you, but you would look in Sector I, which is the mountains where Mills River is, and the two counties you would check out separately are Buncombe (for you and Asheville) and Henderson (the Hendersonville town mentioned by another poster).
Applicant Preview Current Job Listings

Hope this helps you see what's going on here in the way of your husband's work. GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina