Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowingRock View Post
We just bought a small place in Blowing Rock, N.C. and it has two old analog T.V.s we don't want cable as we are only there twice a year. What are the best bets for an antenna and coverage of a few local stations? Not sure what type of antenna to buy. We cannot put it outdoors.
Charter Spectrum offers a special deal to folks with a vacation home. You can get it so it just is available on the weekends or only in the warm months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Default Outdoor Antenna May Be Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowingRock View Post
We just bought a small place in Blowing Rock, N.C. and it has two old analog T.V.s we don't want cable as we are only there twice a year. What are the best bets for an antenna and coverage of a few local stations? Not sure what type of antenna to buy. We cannot put it outdoors.
To get reliable digital TV reception in a fringe area requires a good outdoor antenna. And possibly an amplifier. Go to Walmart and get a Clearstream 2MAX antenna which is compact enough to use indoors. They also sell Onn brand amplifier. Also purchase their 15ft. coax cable to give you flexibility in placing the antenna at the optimum location. That may be the best resource available. Also the GE Attic Antenna from Walmart or Amazon may also perform well and is a bit cheaper. Model number 33692 or the newer 29884 which is at some Walmart stores. Most Radioshack stores have closed or no longer carry the large outdoor antennas.

While Blowing Rock is in the Charlotte broadcast market, it may be easier to receive some signals from Johnson City, Tennessee or Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg. From Charlotte WBTV may be your strongest signal, but WSOC and WCCB also have translators. To get the neighboring signals as well as Charlotte, a good High VHF/UHF combo antenna may be needed, which would be Winegard 7697 or 7698. But for something smaller, try the Clearstream 2MAX or 4MAX. A good preamp would be Winegard LNA200 from Home Depot, or RCA brand from Lowe's. But better performers may be Channel Master Amplify or Antennas Direct Juice.

Remember it as against the law according to FCC regulations to deny an outside antenna. But start at Walmart first and go from there. The Mohu may work at some suburban locations, but a fringe area in the mountains may not be adequate. The Clearstream 2MAX may be the better choice, but a larger outdoor antenna may actually be required.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 40,944 times
Default Local TV stations

You should understand that there are NO local network stations. The nearest are Charlotte, Winston-Salem, High Point. You can receive those with a good outdoor antenna when the weather is favorable, meaning no rain storms between here and there. If you have high speed internet service at your home, consider using a Roku device if you're just looking for entertainment and can do without live TV.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo44 View Post
You should understand that there are NO local network stations. The nearest are Charlotte, Winston-Salem, High Point. You can receive those with a good outdoor antenna when the weather is favorable, meaning no rain storms between here and there. If you have high speed internet service at your home, consider using a Roku device if you're just looking for entertainment and can do without live TV.
That is correct. Boone is in the fringe areas of many broadcast markets, but is technically classified Charlotte market area. But with a good outside antenna, you may receive stations from multiple marketsin addition to Charlotte, including Johnson City, Tennessee, Asheville-Greenville- Spartanburg, and Greensboro-Winston-Salem.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoreblue7 View Post
It's actually an indoor antenna (sits on top of the tv). I live in an apt, so an outdoor one is not an option. I already have charter for internet and I cannot afford to pay for cable as well. Plus, I noticed that they would charge me an $80 fee to have the guy come and turn it on. Which is bloody ridiculous because my internet constantly goes out and I've had tech people here to fix it quite a few times. I can't believe it's that bad. I don't understand why they don't increase the signal here.
Consider getting Sling for $20/month, since you already have internet. Live TV, DVR capability, and no fiddling with the antenna.

I'm in Hickory, and have trouble getting a few stations from Charlotte/Concord via antenna. I imagine it's much much harder being another 20-30 miles away.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Consider getting Sling for $20/month, since you already have internet. Live TV, DVR capability, and no fiddling with the antenna.

I'm in Hickory, and have trouble getting a few stations from Charlotte/Concord via antenna. I imagine it's much much harder being another 20-30 miles away.
For the news, both WSOC and WBTV have dedicated live streaming apps on the Roku, and WSOC is also on the Amazon Fire. The WSOC live streaming app seems to work the best, with very good video quality. And it repeats the news all day between the live newscasts.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post

Both WSOC and WCCB have translator signals in nearby Burke County. And the Dallas signals from WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY should be strong in Hickory, right down 321. And WSOC also has a translator on Crowder's Mountain. So the proper antenna set up should be feasible in Hickory.

In addition to Sling, you may want to check out Playstation Vue as another good option.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:44 PM

As I pointed out in the Charlotte thread, WBTV-3 is currently operating at reduced power until their transmitter is replaced sometime in December. So this may cause issues with reception in the fringe areas, especially with an indoor antenna. But WBTV has a very strong full power signal, so many closer viewers may notice no loss of reception. At my location in Greenville County, SC I still receive WBTV at a full 10 bars on the Samsung signal meter, despite the reduced power, using an attic antenna and amplifier.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Both WSOC and WCCB have translator signals in nearby Burke County. And the Dallas signals from WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY should be strong in Hickory, right down 321. And WSOC also has a translator on Crowder's Mountain. So the proper antenna set up should be feasible in Hickory.

In addition to Sling, you may want to check out Playstation Vue as another good option.
I leave my antenna pointed in the same direction (approx 150 degrees), so I'm getting WSOC out of Charlotte using my outdoor antenna. I originally had the antenna on a 15ft mast on my back deck. Couldn't get it. I added 5 more feet and added an amplifier so I could watch the Indy 500. Works great now.

I had bad video with PS Vue. Tons of skipping and playback issues. YMMV

Youtube TV is awesome however. A tad pricey, but I have no complaints other than the lack of a guide showing you what's coming on in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina