Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM

124 posts, read 702,003 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Armonk for school purposes. But our friend who lives there told us that all their neighbors are jewish and they even go to the same synagogue. We are not jewish and we are afraid that our kids will feel being left out in the class. Also some website mentioned that besides being a snobbish town, non-jewish will have a hard time fitting in in Armonk. Is that true? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
These people might attend the same synagogue because it's one of the few around! It takes a LOT of families to support a temple because that temple pays the rabbi's salary and for all other needs of the congregation and the building, unlike the Catholic church where the diocese supports the priest or in which the central Episcopal authority pays salaries.

I don't think this should concern you. After all, Jewish children all over the US are almost universally in the minority and they do fine. I think you're more worried than your kids would be.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-10-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Did you read this thread? https://www.city-data.com/forum/westc...ntville-4.html

The consensus seems to support what you've heard.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Did you read this thread? https://www.city-data.com/forum/westc...ntville-4.html

The consensus seems to support what you've heard.
Consensus? I don't think ONE person posting in a multi-post thread constitutes a 'consensus.'

Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM

yes, I did read the "pleasantville vs. armonk" postings. Thanks for pointing that out. That's why i'd like to verify with people here who really knows. We actually would like to be in a racially and religiously diversified town (relatively speaking) while also have access to public good school. Armonk has excellent school (reputationally) and also offers decent tax (relatively speaking) and school bus (vs. other lower westchester towns). I don't think in lower Westchester towns Jewish is minority.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post
I don't think in lower Westchester towns Jewish is minority.
Well, there are NONE in Bronxville. In the 1930s selling real estate in Bronxville to Jews was prohibited. And there are few or none even today.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:34 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,980 times
I do not think there is a single town in Westchester where the Jewish population is the majority. I have never seen accurate town breakdown, but on a countywide basis, the total Jewish population of the county is 10%.
Certainly, it is much higher in some towns. It might even be near 50% in some towns like Scarsdale, Armonk, and Rye Brook. But not really the majority.

It seems whenever there is a "minority" that grows to a significant portion of the population, there is a fear by others that the "minority" is taking over. Whether it be Jewish, black, Hispanic, etc.

I know 5 families in Armonk pretty well. 2 are Jewish, 2 are Italian Catholic, 1 is Protestant.

Armonk is not racially diverse, but it is religiously diverse.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM

HAVOC315,

What do you think of Edgemont, Irvington, Harrison or Ardsley? Are they more religiously diversified?

Many thanks, PEMom

Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,980 times
PEMom.... all those towns are religiously diversified. Literally, except for Bronxville, every town in Westchester has a fair degree of ethnic and religious diversity, though not necessarily socio-economic or racial diversity. Some towns are more heavily Catholic (Eastchester, Yonkers), some are a bit more Protestant (Rye, Katonah), and some are a bit more Jewish (Armonk, Chappaqua, Scarsdale, Rye Brook).
But it is not as if most of these towns are segregated. There are plenty of Jewish people even in "less" Jewish areas like Yonkers and Eastchester. There are plenty of Catholics and Protestants in every town.

Some people claim that so-and-so town is 95% Jewish, or 95% Catholic, etc. This just really isn't the case.
If you wonder whether you would "religiously fit in" to a town, then just look at the churches in and around any given town.
For example, Irvington has a Catholic Church, Episcopal Church, Methodist Church, and Evangelical Church. There are no synogogues in Irvington, but several that are very nearby (Dobbs, Greenburgh)
Scarsdale, which is considered perhaps the most Jewish area in Westchester, has a Presbyterian Church, LDS Church, Catholic Church, a United Church of Christ Church, a Baptist Church, as well as a Conservative Synogogue, Orthodox, and Reformed.

The other reality, is that I would say most Westchester residents are somewhat agnostic. There are definitely many people with very strong faith, but I don't think this is an overwhelming majority. More families attend little league on the weekend, then a church/synogogue service.
So no matter what religion someone subscribes to, the children mix and socialize together. Jewish kids are invited to some Confirmations, Christian kids get invited to some Bar Mitzvahs, etc.

That's not to say these towns can't be cliquish, exclusive and competitive. They absolutely can be, especially from what I have heard about Armonk. But religious is typically not the basis for the exclusivity or snobbishness.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 PM

26 posts, read 228,343 times
Actually, those areas of Westchester where the majority of people are highly concerned about the make-up of other majorities or minorities of people -- well, that can be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County