Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,600,965 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for a home in the Tuckahoe, Ossining, Peekskill, etc area, and I think a condo or co-op can be a good starter, or perhaps a small home, who knows?

What is the commute like into the Bronx at around say, 6AM on a weekday from these towns? I would be coming home around noon...I work at Columbia-Presbyterian.

Is anyone familiar with the Highland ave. area of Ossining? I am concerned about safety having children.

Also, what is Campwoodsgrounds? The houses seem affordable, and they have gas lines. You have to pay taxes and homoeowner assocation dues, what doe sthat give you in return?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,444,715 times
Campwoods grounds is a unique sort of community. The HOA you pay is actually a land-lease, since you only own the house, not the land. It's in a decent area, but it doesn't have the same level of conveniences, and the unique ownership situation could be a little more difficult on resale. Parts of Ossining are nice, and others are a little transitional.

The easiest commute will be Tuckahoe, and if you can get into Tuckahoe, do so. The schools are good in the village, and you are not far from work at all, and the parkways are generally moving well in the 6 o'clock hour. Neighboring Eastchester, of which Tuckahoe is part of the same town, might have something as well.

What is your price range? I ask only to let you know that around the same price point as Tuckahoe, you might be able to find something comparable in Pelham, which also has great schools and an easy Bronx commute.

Peekskill has some good parts and then others that are on the rebound. It's a decent community, overall, but the only hesitation I would have would be for children, from a schools perspective.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,600,965 times
I'd like to spend less then 350k if possible. I am not looking for a particularly large house, 3 bed 1 bath is ample.

I am strongly considering parochial school for my girls. I asked a place called St. Annes for info on their curriculum.

Is Pelham NJ? As a native New Yorker I cannot live in Doizey and retain my self-respect.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,444,715 times
Nope, Pelham is in NY, Lower Westchester. If you are not using public schools, you can also consider Hartsdale and the nicer parts of New Rochelle, since their schools tend to be more average in nature, but with the parochial school, you might find something that's decent. You could find an apartment for $350k or so in Lower Westchester.

Edit: Also, there are areas of Yonkers and Mount Vernon that might be worth considering, but here I would definitely not recommend the public schools as they tend to have more issues.

And, if you don't mind going further out in Westchester, consider lookng in Valhalla, Tarrytown, and Sleepy Hollow. The schools there are good in places, but there are also parochial schools to consider.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,973,869 times
Don't knock New Jersey! You might find more variety living in Fort Lee, right across the GW Bridge from the hospital... $350K isn't enough for a house.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,987 times
Default Quite a spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a home in the Tuckahoe, Ossining, Peekskill, etc area, and I think a condo or co-op can be a good starter, or perhaps a small home, who knows?

What is the commute like into the Bronx at around say, 6AM on a weekday from these towns? I would be coming home around noon...I work at Columbia-Presbyterian.

Is anyone familiar with the Highland ave. area of Ossining? I am concerned about safety having children.

Also, what is Campwoodsgrounds? The houses seem affordable, and they have gas lines. You have to pay taxes and homoeowner assocation dues, what doe sthat give you in return?

Thanks!
I have to say that's quite a spread! I never thought of Tuckahoe, Ossining, and Peekskill as in the same area! Tuckahoe is about 30 min to NYC while Peeksill is so far I don't know anybody who commutes from there. And in between are scores of towns that range from urban/ghetto to bucolic farmland.
If your limit is 350k you will be in a condo or coop in Tuckahoe. You can forget 3 bedrooms.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,198,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgecross View Post
Tuckahoe is about 30 min to NYC while Peeksill is so far I don't know anybody who commutes from there.
The train from Peekskill to Grand Central is 54 to 60 minutes, which is faster than the trip from towns such as Mt Kisco, for example. I get on the train two stops south of Peekskill (Croton-Harmon) and the train is very crowded, so I can assure you that lots of people are commuting daily from Peekskill and further north.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM

263 posts, read 525,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgecross View Post
If your limit is 350k you will be in a condo or coop in Tuckahoe. You can forget 3 bedrooms.
The housing market is tanking in Westchester. Soon 350K will buy you a 3br in those areas. Rent for a couple of years before you buy. Rents are coming down too. If you buy now you risk depreciation. Read this recent discussion:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/7525674-post27.html

Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 AM

95 posts, read 431,917 times
I can second that lots of people commute from Peekskill (and even from points further north), at least via the train. From the few times that I've driven in, my sense is that a drive in at 6 a.m. actually would not be that bad at all (maybe about 45-60 minutes or so), with the drive home potentially having some worse traffic (depending on time, and especially on Fridays).

You also may be able to find a house in Peekskill in your price range, though it may need some work/updating. I've heard people express schools as a concern about the Peekskill area (which I think is somewhat over emphasized), but if you're thinking about going private anyway, then I would definitely recommend taking a look.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,083,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you are not using public schools, you can also consider Hartsdale and the nicer parts of New Rochelle, since their schools tend to be more average in nature
Hey there beamer . I was wondering why you all tend to find Hartsdale schools "average".. or usually far worse. Why is that? The town seems to be in the general vicinity of all the other places that are supposed to have such wonderful schools. What is it about the place and the schools that is not so great?

For the towns past Yonkers but closest to the Manhattan (30 mile vicinity), which 3 towns have the best schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County