Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 07:33 AM

11 posts, read 6,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwch View Post
The old croton aqueduct trail (unpaved) runs through downtown yonkers roughly around warburton and a little up the hill. It's a little bit rocky/rooty, but is nice to jog on if there hasn't been recent rain. Heading north you can get just short of the Tappan Zee Bridge before you have to go along a few roads (and subsequently all the way to the Croton Dam, but I haven't travelled all of the northern section).

The south county trail (former new york and putnam railroad right of way) runs through tibbets south to van cortland and north to elmsford and is paved most of the way. It's also good jogging, but you'll have to do a bit of dodging of walkers and cyclists at busy times. Getting from near the river over to the south county unfortunately isn't the nicest as almost all of the east west through streets are busy and narrow.

If you're up for a long run you can go south through van cortland park, the botanical garden, and along the pelham parkway over to Pelham bay and City Island. Or head north on the south county and connect up with the north county, tarrytown lakes trails, and rockefeller preserve. Lots of interesting little routes around here if you explore.
It sounds that Westchester county is a very nice place to live. I am sure I will enjoy the plentiful outdoor opportunities in this area. Normally when the TV news media talking about the NYC, they mostly focus on the downtown Manhattan or Center Park. The Hudson Valley is indeed great. No wonder some people are trying move to this area from big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 12:57 PM

1,185 posts, read 980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerK View Post
Yes, I will explore all the options. Google Earth is very useful to look at the surroundings.
It's worth noting that Yonkers has one downside which is that unlike other towns in Westchester, residents are subject to an income tax (along with the NYC boroughs). That said, there are plenty of great areas near Yonkers already mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:47 PM

94,861 posts, read 126,276,400 times
No mention of Fleetwood/NW Mount Vernon?

Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 6,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
It's worth noting that Yonkers has one downside which is that unlike other towns in Westchester, residents are subject to an income tax (along with the NYC boroughs). That said, there are plenty of great areas near Yonkers already mentioned in this thread.
vladlensky. Oh, I had no idea that the city imposes income tax. I just checked the internet. That income tax is .5%? Well. It's life. We all have to pay.

Too late for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County