Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 8,922 times

Advertisements

Hello. I looking into moving to Peekskill. I found a brand new townhome/condo and just want to know more on the peekskill living. I have a 2 year old daughter and will be commuting to Yonkers. I don't know much about the school system and how rough the winter season is. I would like to know what you guys think of peekskill living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 01:50 PM

821 posts, read 774,000 times
Peekskill doesn’t have a very highly regarded school system.

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/peekskil...l-district-ny/

Old 04-08-2019, 03:08 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm9047 View Post
Hello. I looking into moving to Peekskill. I found a brand new townhome/condo and just want to know more on the peekskill living. I have a 2 year old daughter and will be commuting to Yonkers. I don't know much about the school system and how rough the winter season is. I would like to know what you guys think of peekskill living.
If you are buying to live in the area and not as an investment, Peekskill is great. It is an urban area, density is higher than the surrounding towns. the town is also very racially diverse, with over 50% of the residents being minority. It has a very nice lifestyle, with active communities. There are great sports programs, the public library is amazing. the Youth bureau runs a bunch of great programs for youngsters. The downtown area has great restaurants and good live music on weekends. The paramount is a great theatre that brings in high level acts. The only real problem is that the schools are very crowded, which impacts home values a great deal. With the home values lower, the tax rates are high. So property has not increased as fast as other towns near it. The schools seem to be great until the high school, so if it is not a long term decision, this may not be a problem. The town has great annual festivals at the waterfront and in the downtown area. Lots of good places to eat, shopping is easy. Its a great place, just know that the high school is not well thought of and the home values have been slow to rise. But I love the town. Good family town. The townhomes are great. If you have any specific questions, be sure to ask. Fair warning to you, there are a few people on this forum who will preach a lot of hatred of Peekskill and the changes it underwent in the past 50 years from a working class town to an "urban suburb." Certainly consider all everyone has to say, but you will get some extreme views here. I encourage you to visit. Also, look into Cortlandt, Lakeland School District. Good values and better schools. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:45 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
If you are buying to live in the area and not as an investment, Peekskill is great. It is an urban area, density is higher than the surrounding towns. the town is also very racially diverse, with over 50% of the residents being minority. It has a very nice lifestyle, with active communities. There are great sports programs, the public library is amazing. the Youth bureau runs a bunch of great programs for youngsters. The downtown area has great restaurants and good live music on weekends. The paramount is a great theatre that brings in high level acts. The only real problem is that the schools are very crowded, which impacts home values a great deal. With the home values lower, the tax rates are high. So property has not increased as fast as other towns near it. The schools seem to be great until the high school, so if it is not a long term decision, this may not be a problem. The town has great annual festivals at the waterfront and in the downtown area. Lots of good places to eat, shopping is easy. Its a great place, just know that the high school is not well thought of and the home values have been slow to rise. But I love the town. Good family town. The townhomes are great. If you have any specific questions, be sure to ask. Fair warning to you, there are a few people on this forum who will preach a lot of hatred of Peekskill and the changes it underwent in the past 50 years from a working class town to an "urban suburb." Certainly consider all everyone has to say, but you will get some extreme views here. I encourage you to visit. Also, look into Cortlandt, Lakeland School District. Good values and better schools. Best of luck to you.
Over the past year, I noticed that Dr. Strangelove is an expert on northern westchester.

There are parochial schools for you to look at.

Townhouses are good. Which development are you looking at?

Old 04-09-2019, 03:50 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,844 times
Quote:
That's a pretty accurate albeit rosy picture of Peekskill. If the school is important to you, I would look elsewhere. Towns mentioned would be worth looking into.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:15 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Over the past year, I noticed that Dr. Strangelove is an expert on northern westchester.

There are parochial schools for you to look at.

Townhouses are good. Which development are you looking at?
While I am no expert, I do love the hidden gem that is the north county. I think Somers, Yorktown and Cortlandt are the best values within 50 miles for the schools, lot size and home prices. North Salem and Lewisboro are solid too, but more expensive.

Great point to consider the parochial schools if you want a religious element to education. There are some truly great parochial schools up here.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information. It's very useful. I was selected from a lottery and I will receive a grant for the downpayment and wanted to know if it moving was worth it.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:43 AM

I was also thinking about putting my daughter in private school if the public school system isn't the best.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Peekskill is reported to have a 66% HS graduation rate, according to one well known source I have reviewed. This means that 1 out of every 3 kids will not graduate. This fact alone would keep me out of Peekskill. Graduating high school is virtually guaranteed if a kid attends school every day (absent illness) and on time, doesn't cut class, does their homework, and acts respectfully and obeys school rules/societies rules in and out of school. If these numbers are correct, this means a full 1/3 of the kids in Peekskill are not doing these things. That is bad. Schools also have a pack mentality amongst the student body - if a lot of kids are misbehaving and/or not showing up and/or not doing their school work, it is much more likely that any one particular kid will fall into these habits.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:03 AM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Peekskill is reported to have a 66% HS graduation rate, according to one well known source I have reviewed. This means that 1 out of every 3 kids will not graduate. This fact alone would keep me out of Peekskill. Graduating high school is virtually guaranteed if a kid attends school every day (absent illness) and on time, doesn't cut class, does their homework, and acts respectfully and obeys school rules/societies rules in and out of school. If these numbers are correct, this means a full 1/3 of the kids in Peekskill are not doing these things. That is bad. Schools also have a pack mentality amongst the student body - if a lot of kids are misbehaving and/or not showing up and/or not doing their school work, it is much more likely that any one particular kid will fall into these habits.

Yes, all true.

I'm in Yorktown but my son attended Archbishop Stepinac High School in White Plains. Last spring, I noticed Stepinac billboards in Peekskill. There is a regular Stepinac bus going to and from Yorktown/Peekskill.

Probably this is true for girl school too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County