Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,580,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
3% is a really high percentage for the buyer's agent in this market (both purplebricks and redfin seem to use this amount). It makes sense where houses sell in the $100k-$300k range, but once you get over $400k, the percentages go to more like 2.5% or even 2%. I was able to get plenty of interest at a 2% buyers' agent fee.

I don't know about Purplebricks but with RedFin you may be able to get the Redfin agent to reduce the buyer's agent split.

But I agree, anything is better than 2.5% to a seller's agent. I prefer FSBO but $3,600 and 1% are both much better than 2.5% (and nobody in this area should be paying 3% to either agent).
Redfin quotes me 25% less for my house than it shows on Zillow, which is 7-10% lower than comps are actually selling for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,407,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Redfin quotes me 25% less for my house than it shows on Zillow, which is 7-10% lower than comps are actually selling for.

That's the Redfin website, which isn't the same thing as a Redfin agent. A Redfin agent is just a normal agent who works on a different commission structure; you will still be the one who decides what to list for, after meeting with the agent.

It's sort of a mid-point in the disruption of the traditional real estate model. A FSBO with no agents on either side is a full disruption, and a full 5%/6% is the traditional model. Redfin slots in at about the middle of that range.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM

27 posts, read 31,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
3% is a really high percentage for the buyer's agent in this market (both purplebricks and redfin seem to use this amount). It makes sense where houses sell in the $100k-$300k range, but once you get over $400k, the percentages go to more like 2.5% or even 2%. I was able to get plenty of interest at a 2% buyers' agent fee.

I don't know about Purplebricks but with RedFin you may be able to get the Redfin agent to reduce the buyer's agent split.

But I agree, anything is better than 2.5% to a seller's agent. I prefer FSBO but $3,600 and 1% are both much better than 2.5% (and nobody in this area should be paying 3% to either agent).
The purple dinosaur agent is coming tomorrow. She's also going to help find me a new place to buy; lucky her. I would like around an acre or an acre and a half for some privacy, but close to the social scene. She's recommending Stamford or North Stamford. I also want a house build in the late 90's or later. I've checked most places in Westchester and the good areas have sky high school taxes. Should I look anywhere else?

This is going to be tricky as I need buy and sell at the same time it seems. Where would I put my stuff in the mean time? This is why I hate moving and it's kept me here for so long.

Open to suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 PM

91 posts, read 123,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsquestions View Post
The purple dinosaur agent is coming tomorrow. She's also going to help find me a new place to buy; lucky her. I would like around an acre or an acre and a half for some privacy, but close to the social scene. She's recommending Stamford or North Stamford. I also want a house build in the late 90's or later. I've checked most places in Westchester and the good areas have sky high school taxes. Should I look anywhere else?

This is going to be tricky as I need buy and sell at the same time it seems. Where would I put my stuff in the mean time? This is why I hate moving and it's kept me here for so long.

Given your experience last time, I think renting for a year or so is probably a good idea so you can really settle into an area and tell if it's the right mix for you. Since you don't need to go to the city regularly it seems like you'd be better off being farther away, Stamford still carries a high premium for NYC accessibility relative to where you were.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,758,941 times
Quote:

Stamford is in the top 10 of lowest property appreciation rates for 2019, sounds like you will be in the same boat if you buy
over there. CT is rated 49th in fiscal solvency! I considered moving to CT a few years ago and even consulted a Redfin realtor, started moving things from my second floor to the basement in anticipation of moving to a brand new townhouse in Danbury, but in the meantime all the bad news about CT. fiscal condition was breaking, the taxes on the townhouse I wanted skyrocketed, so I stayed in NY. With the new tax laws the wealthy are leaving CT in droves and you will be left holding the bag to pay the bills (like the teacher's pensions while they retire and live it up in cheaper Florida) of tax and spend CT.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Stamford is in the top 10 of lowest property appreciation rates for 2019, sounds like you will be in the same boat if you buy
over there. CT is rated 49th in fiscal solvency! I considered moving to CT a few years ago and even consulted a Redfin realtor, started moving things from my second floor to the basement in anticipation of moving to a brand new townhouse in Danbury, but in the meantime all the bad news about CT. fiscal condition was breaking, the taxes on the townhouse I wanted skyrocketed, so I stayed in NY. With the new tax laws the wealthy are leaving CT in droves and you will be left holding the bag to pay the bills (like the teacher's pensions while they retire and live it up in cheaper Florida) of tax and spend CT.

I actually spoke to the purple dinosaur person, and I'm back looking in NJ. Specifically Teaneck, Hackensack, Mahwah, Ramsey, Hillsdale, Montvale, Saddle Brook, and Elmwood Park. It would be a cheaper house and significantly lower taxes than Stony Point. I am seeing a few tomorrow just to check them out.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM

I don't know much about the New Jersey real estate market, but I used to work in New Providence, Morristown, Bedminster, and Florham Park, all seemed like lovely towns (I know Bedminister is upscale). Did you consider the Hudson River Westchester towns of Croton, Buchanan, Verplank, Montrose? I think some of those areas have cheaper property taxes, I don't know about appreciation in that area. You would have easy access to NYC, it's not far from White Plains for socializing, shopping, etc., you would have easy access to RT6 shopping in Mohegan Lake, and you have nice parks in that area, as another poster mentioned. BTW, there are nice homes in Mohegan Lake, the taxes are lower, you get lake access and some homes have gorgeous views of the lake on elevated lots, it reminded me of California. Anyway, good luck with your search!

Old 04-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about the New Jersey real estate market, but I used to work in New Providence, Morristown, Bedminster, and Florham Park, all seemed like lovely towns (I know Bedminister is upscale). Did you consider the Hudson River Westchester towns of Croton, Buchanan, Verplank, Montrose? I think some of those areas have cheaper property taxes, I don't know about appreciation in that area. You would have easy access to NYC, it's not far from White Plains for socializing, shopping, etc., you would have easy access to RT6 shopping in Mohegan Lake, and you have nice parks in that area, as another poster mentioned. BTW, there are nice homes in Mohegan Lake, the taxes are lower, you get lake access and some homes have gorgeous views of the lake on elevated lots, it reminded me of California. Anyway, good luck with your search!

Buchanan, Verplank, and Montrose are going to be in worse shape than North Rockland is right now once the nuke plant closes. I did find a few nice homes in Croton. It's basically right across the river from Haverstraw. LOL.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Buchanan, Verplank, and Montrose are going to be in worse shape than North Rockland is right now once the nuke plant closes. I did find a few nice homes in Croton. It's basically right across the river from Haverstraw. LOL.
I forgot about Indian Point. I live in East Yonkers and love it, even though people say the Yonkers Public Schools aren't good and there is extra taxes on your salary, etc. they keep moving in, the property keeps appreciating, and realtors keep calling saying they have buyers waiting for homes and asking me if I want to sell. I did consider selling a few years ago, but it was for personal reasons, not that I didn't like Yonkers. I used to live in Croton, it's nice and safe but very boring and too quiet. I found myself coming back to Yonkers (where I was born) all the time to do things and see my friends when I lived in Croton, LOL.

This past Sunday I drove 10 minutes to the Bronx, went to Palm Sunday mass at an historic church, sat at an outdoor cafe drinking cappuccinos and eating Italian pastries, and brought home the most delicious loaf of Tuscan bread from the bakery that I ever tasted. Everyone was friendly and I had so much fun! I eat at City Island often and use the Long Island Sound parks for relaxing and exercise. I finally realized there would be too much to miss here if I moved away.

Last edited by wp169; 04-16-2019 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I forgot about Indian Point. I live in East Yonkers and love it, even though people say the Yonkers Public Schools aren't good and there is extra taxes on your salary, etc. they keep moving in, the property keeps appreciating, and realtors keep calling saying they have buyers waiting for homes and asking me if I want to sell. I did consider selling a few years ago, but it was for personal reasons, not that I didn't like Yonkers. I used to live in Croton, it's nice and safe but very boring and too quiet. I found myself coming back to Yonkers (where I was born) all the time to do things and see my friends when I lived in Croton, LOL.

This past Sunday I drove 10 minutes to the Bronx, went to Palm Sunday mass at an historic church, sat at an outdoor cafe drinking cappuccinos and eating Italian pastries, and brought home the most delicious loaf of Tuscan bread from the bakery that I ever tasted. Everyone was friendly and I had so much fun! I eat at City Island often and use the Long Island Sound parks for relaxing and exercise. I finally realized there would be too much to miss here if I moved away.
Ahh, yes, Author avenue bread and pastries. Can't get much better than that. Well, you can, but you'll need a time machine to back waybackwhen in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

I've considered Yonkers and New Rochelle too, but I like some privacy. Plus, I checked the taxes, they are insane in Westchester County outside of the dev zones. I want to pay less taxes, not more. I am surprised Westchester residents are not demanding more insight on where the money is going. Rockland has the same issue. People are from Rockland are moving mostly to Bergen as the taxes are half for the same house. IDK. I think I am up sh!ts creek here in finding a new place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County