Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM

15 posts, read 59,694 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with this house? I am looking into renting an apartment there. Is the school district Eastchester or Tuckahoe? Would you consider Eastchester a good school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
What is the address of the Elide House? I believe it is in the Eastchester School District. I live in the district and I am very satisfied.

Tuckahoe is also very good. Unlike Eastchester, it has some racial diversity.

As a broad generalization, I would say Eastchester ranges from lower-middle class to upper-middle class, while Tuckahoe ranges from lower-middle class to middle-class. Eastchester has more areas of affluence, while Tuckahoe has more areas where people struggle.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM

The address is 2 Park Avenue. It is near the Stop and Shop on White Plains Post Road. I just want to make sure that the school district is Eastchester before I rent.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM

That's Eastchester. And check out Lake Isle Country Club on White Plains Road. 18-hole golf course, eight tennis courts, five pools and a restaurant.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM

Thank you so much Rubygreta. How is Garth Road in Scarsdale? I know that it is in the Eastchester school district. How far is it from the school? Are their nice supermarkets and other stores close by?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Garth Road is lined with very attractive and well maintained apartment buildings. However, you may be out of luck because you are looking to rent. To the best of my knowledge there are only two rental buildings on the street. The one called Scarsdale Commons is fairly new and has very high rental rates. The other one is located on the west side of Garth Road close to the stores (you can tell the building because it still has some original windows).

You may be able to sublet a unit in some coop buildings.

The only downside of Garth Road is parking. Most buildings have waiting lists.

Garth Road has some modest stores and restaurants. There is an A&P and Trader Joe's about a mile away, and there is plenty of shopping on White Plains Road.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 108,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterbound View Post
Is anyone familiar with this house? I am looking into renting an apartment there. Is the school district Eastchester or Tuckahoe? Would you consider Eastchester a good school district?
Those are definitely Eastchester schools -- no doubt about it. Look at the map at the bottom of this page: Village of Tuckahoe Comprehensive Plan Update (broken link)

Everything North of a cut-off is Eastchester schools. I'm on Dante Avenue, South of Fisher Avenue and I am Eastchester schools. I'm actually moving to on Main Street in Tuckahoe which will be Tuckahoe schools, but the reason I'm moving has nothing to do with the schools. I'm sure you'll find Eastchester schools wonderful.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 AM

11 posts, read 108,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
What is the address of the Elide House? I believe it is in the Eastchester School District. I live in the district and I am very satisfied.

Tuckahoe is also very good. Unlike Eastchester, it has some racial diversity.

As a broad generalization, I would say Eastchester ranges from lower-middle class to upper-middle class, while Tuckahoe ranges from lower-middle class to middle-class. Eastchester has more areas of affluence, while Tuckahoe has more areas where people struggle.

Yeah, those are some pretty big generalizations... The town of Eastchester outside Tuckahoe vs. in Tuckahoe (speaking nothing of Bronxville for the moment) does have more single family homes, higher ownership rate... it's true there's probably less economic diversification there. However, there are multi-million dollar homes in each and the demographics of the commuters to Manhattan are probably the same in each. Most of Tuckahoe is actually indistinguishable from the unincorporated part of Eastchester... e.g. single family homes north of Main Street... there is that element. The only part of Tuckahoe where people "struggle" is in the public housing to the south of Main Street. What other areas are you thinking of? The average home price is like $650,000 or so. Really the only difference I can see is that there are more apartment buildings in the part of the town inside the village of Tuckahoe and there is some public housing. Other than that, there's not much difference between them. When I think of Eastchester, I think neighborhoods with smallish homes built circa 1920s-1940s that sell for $700,000, well manicured lawns, friendly neighbors, cars parked on the street, etc... so for example west of White Plains Rd., north of Main Street, along Fisher, along Lincoln, etc. I was surprised to learn how much of North of Fisher Ave. is actually still in Tuckahoe (to me, "Tuckahoe" makes you think of the downtown area near the train station of the same name and on Main Street). It's hard to say where Tuckahoe stops and unincorporated Eastchester begins. These places are really two peas in the same pod, except for Eastchester being pretty much exclusively "neighborhoody" whereas Tuckahoe is a mix of both the exact same type of neighborhoods and a more downtown villagey type setting.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 AM

Tuckahoe and Eastchester should merge into one community. The idea of having two distinct and expensive police headquarters within a mile of each other is ludicrous.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,319 times
Default Elide House

How did you like living in the Elide House? I was looking to rent there. Is White Plains Rd- Fisher Ave loud when your in your apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County