Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,459 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a 30yo applying for medical residencies and need to rank some programs around NYC. I've lived in NYC on and off for some time. And basically I would live the next 5yrs within walking distance (2miles) of the hospital where I end up, with the exception that I could live on Upper West Side or Washington Heights and drive to Westchester, as another possibility. I would make $60k at any of those places. I wonder if it's possible to buy a house or apt in any of those regions, if my parents help me with down payment, or it would still be unaffordable? My goal is to find a wife and start a family, which is why NYC is appealing to me ( a lot of people). But I will not necessarily seek to find a wife in my neighborhood, I might even travel to my home country where there are more thin, white women Also I asked some women from my home country if they'd like to live in the city centre or in suburbia and their answers vary. And a woman will take a very important part in my decision to eventually own an apt in a city or a house elsewhere, although I am unable to afford anything right now.

So I am looking for any types of comparisons between these locations, assuming you have the same, job, finances,etc. I would also note that brooklyn and staten island have more people of my ethnicity which is appealing to me in that you could find colleagues to joke around in your own language. But otherwise, I do not know and do not foresee that I would meet more people in any of those regions. Except if 1 is significantly more rural, then there are probably fewer opportunities to get socially engaged. I.e. I might not want to drive or take a long train after a hard day at work just to meet people. I am much more inclined to walk or even ride a bicycle.
Also I wish I could go to the beach a lot. I am not afraid of even going for a swim in freezing temperatures. But I am very disappointed with NYC and Long Island beaches. And so no matter where I end up, most likely the only practical way to go to the beach will be JFK or Newark or Laguardia.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: