Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 11,883 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I need some advice or suggestions on Pennington Elementary school in Mount Vernon NY? I bought a house in the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon. Im looking into enrolling my child in Kindergarten once he turns 5. He is now in catholic school in the city (PK-3). I also work in the city but if i can save some money and place him in a good school, that'll be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM

192 posts, read 375,746 times
I worked in MtVernon school district for a few years. Non-teacher position. Pennington school is a good school. I can say it's one if not, the better schools in MtVernon School District. I can tell you this, that after your child graduates from Pennington, you will probably have to enroll your child back into private school. Take this as a warning....DO NOT EVER, enroll your child into A.B. Davis Middle School. That place is a Zoo!!!!!!! Not going to say much about it, but that has to be ONE of the worst schools. Notice what I said...ONE of the worst schools...there are other schools that are up there in Mt Vernon.

Hope that answers your question. I would enroll in Pennington, but after your child is done with that school. For your sanity and for your child's well being, don't put them in any other school in Mt Vernon. Back to private!!!

Don't believe me? Go as a visitor to the other schools during the morning, lunch, and after school. Check out Davis between classes. It's a absolute disaster! For some reason 99% of the students have no respect for anyone in that school. I can sit here and tell you stories and stories and stories.

I can also tell you stories about how some ridiculous parents are...it's really absolutely amazing how parents make up lies for their kids, as to why they didn't do their homework and other assignments.

The staff is great...you have lots of great teachers, but they can't be an effective teacher when they are spending half the time taming those kids. I can say all this, because I was in every school, every classroom at all times of the day.

Pennington and back to private!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 11,883 times
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM

157 posts, read 347,472 times
I live in the Fleetwood area too. While I do not have children of my own, I have a good friend who has three children at Lincoln Elementary. I'm told this is one of the few decent elementary school in the Mount Vernon district. As accurately stated above, get ready to put your child back into private school once he graduates from elementary. That is my friend's plan as well.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Mt. Vernon native and still very familiar with the schools.

Basically I find Pennington, Lincoln, Traphagen, Columbus and Holmes are all fine, as good as many suburban elementary schools, and definitely better than the rest in the city (though Longfellow Elementary is a bit of a "diamond in the rough", as opposed to the Middle School, which is about as bad as Davis). Many feel Pennington is the "best" elementary school in Mt. Vernon, others argue Lincoln (where I went but a long time ago like in the 1970s).

But after elementary school, you'll want to consider moving or private school. And contrary to what you may hear, at least in this day and age, it isn't racial either, Mt. Vernonites of all stripes feel this way about the middle and high schools here. One joke I've heard in Mt. Vernon is that instead of "white flight", the city now has "bright flight".

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,454 times
Default Considering Fleetwood

Hi All,

Looking at a home in Fleetwood. Would have two daughters, 7 and 4, at Pennington. Sounds like it's a good school.

Middle school is a few years out. Might one of the middle schools improve by that point?

Tal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County