Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 AM

293 posts, read 886,027 times

Advertisements

specifically, I'm looking for a place that sells replacement gaskets for stovetop espresso makers.

Ordering online is ridiculous - they all seem to come packaged with the metal filter, which rarely needs replacing. I used to buy them individually in a coffee shop when I lived in Park Slope for like a buck a gasket... I stocked up the last time I visited, but now I'm out. Any suggestions for places in Lower Westchester that might sell them (Sound Shore ideally)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Go down to Arthur Ave in the Bronx. It's not that far. There are several shops down there that sell everything in the world having to do with expresso makers.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM

114 posts, read 302,112 times
I second that suggestion. It is a stone throw from lower Westchester, and there are are a number of shops that will have exactly what you need or are looking for. Most of them are located directly on Arthur Avenue or on 187th street (the two streets cross over each other).

Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 AM

293 posts, read 886,027 times
Thanks. Actually, I haven't been to Arthur Ave in ages, so it would be a fun little food outing. And yes, you're right it's quite close by.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

114 posts, read 302,112 times
Love doing food shopping there. We go there frequently.
Casa Mozzarella......delicious homemade cheese.
Borgatti's ....delicious homemade pasta's
Maddonia brothers bakery....excellent Italian bread
Egidio Bakery...IMO best cheesecake
Biancardi's Butcher....fresh and good quality meat
Overall, can't beat the selection and quality of the food in that little hub of the neighborhood.
Now, I am hungry.LOL..

Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 AM

72 posts, read 130,259 times
McNulty's on Christopher Street in Manhattan carries those too. I know that's not lower Westchester!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,286 times
Ciao mi chiamo Simona,
vivo a Milano Italy,visto che il lavoro qui da noi è in crisi ho pensato di rendermi disponibile per cercare i nostri prodotti Italiani e spedirli a chi vive lontano.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Just curious - why such shops (and many others) don't open in Westchester? Its always the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan of course. Actually, I would expect more wealthy customers interested in gourmet everything in Westchester.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Just curious - why such shops (and many others) don't open in Westchester? Its always the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan of course. Actually, I would expect more wealthy customers interested in gourmet everything in Westchester.
Wrong question, at least in the case of Arthur Ave. The question is "why aren't there any old school ethnic neighborhoods with all the stuff that you'd expect in such a neighborhood?" Those things are restaurants, community, churches and SHOPS. If you disregard the places like Balducci's, those "gourmet shops" are just regular places used by the locals. Arthur Ave is just one example. There's Chinatown, all the Indian shops near Bellvue and Koreatown in Flushing.

OTOH, did you mean "Why isn't there a Balducci's in Westchester?" There is. In Scarsdale. Go figure.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Also you may just have to look more closely - they may not be big name nor interent savvy. In our village there is a premier smoked-fish producer, an excellent fresh pasta maker (and soups too) - you can see the guys making it right there from the counter - and an old school Italian deli who make a bunch of there own stuff and are also packed with imported Italian specialties. All are low key and not so easy to find. being relatively new to the area, we found them by being observant when walking around town and recommendations from older residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County