Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,462,363 times

Advertisements

Well, this might end up being the shortest stay ever. Husband was just offered a huge offer elsewhere and now we are contemplating a move after only a year in our home.

So my questions are, is the sale commission negotiable (what is the standard amount) and what kind of things are negotiable? Marketing? Staging? Is it standard to call in a few agents or should you just really call the agent that represented you on the buying side? I'm happy with her, but I bid out home projects so wouldn't you do that with realtors to keep them honest?

And hey, if anyone wants a newish 4BR in Larchmont.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,772,389 times
I would call in three agents and have each of them do a market analysis for you. Have each offer their marketing plan, discuss staging with them etc. Staging is not free- that furniture has to be rented.
I'd try to see which agencies have the most listings and sales in your neighborhood.

Everything is negotiable. Commission is negotiable - standard is about 6% but you might be able to get 5%. Too low a commission and other agents aren't interested in showing your home; Too low a commission and it doesn't pay for the listing office to do the advertising, etc. Nothing is free- everything costs money to someone.

Go over each market analysis with each agent. Get rid of any agent who offers pie in the sky- the three should be close to each other in value and using the the same comparables. If it sounds too good to be true, it's usually nonsense. Keep in mind that if you bought a year ago, you're most likely going to take a loss, after commission and the current market is factored in. After all that, go with who seems to have the best marketing plan, overall.

Good luck

Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,462,363 times
Yes, we figured that we would have to take some loss but want an idea as quickly as possible as it drives the offer. Although we did a lot of work to the house, so who knows?

Who handles staging? We're really only talking about 1 room that we don't have furniture in (we just finished renovations and were just about to have it all ordered). Sigh........

Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,772,389 times
If its only one room I wouldn't even bother. People usually stage vacant houses or new construction. If you're still going to be living there during the sale process, then don't worry about it.

There are all sorts of articles on the internet on how to best present your home to the buying public. Such as de-cluttering, remove personal photos, painting things neutral colors, etc. Also take real estate agent's advice.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 PM

293 posts, read 887,127 times
If you're looking for other agents to get comps, I would recommend the one I just worked with for my purchase: [modIndividual agent names/contact information by DM to the OP, please.[/mod]. She's ethical, knowledgeable and very thorough.

Unfortunately 4 BR is a bit larger than I need... 1 year and moving already - I feel your pain - especially if you've been suffering through a renovation most of the time!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-29-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
The sales agent may be willing to negotiate a bit more on the commission side, but that's not guaranteed. I would definitely interview several agents to find the best agent to sell the house, not find it for you. Sometimes better agents when you are looking may not be the best when you are selling.

A good agent can tell you if you need to stage, and some have their own designers and furniture that they know works in a given space. If the majority of your house is furnished, you may be able to re-purpose your own furniture so that the renovated room is not empty. I would not leave the room as a blank canvas, however, as that could imply that there was something wrong with the room and that's why you renovated, i.e., burst pipes that flooded the room, a structural defect, etc. The blank room would impart a feeling that it had just been repaired for the sale, and not reflective of a just completed renovation that you intended to use, but for the employment change. Recently renovated, yet with furniture, even if you have to rent it, can help to give ideas to those who may not envision their own furniture in the space, and will also not impart a negative feeling as to why the room is empty when the rest of the house is fully furnished.

A stager can also edit your furniture collection and help you to design a more model-like home environment, such as one that is depersonalized. The house has served you well, so when you go to list it, let go, and put away the family pictures, etc. That is very difficult to do on one's own, but a good agent and designer can help you to do just that, so that buyers look at the house, not pictures of your children, pets, grandparents, etc. A good broker should have an established relationship with a designer/stager, and go tour their existing listings on which they worked with the designer as part of the evaluation process. There's nothing wrong with asking to see three of their listings, for example, even if they send you with an assistant, since you are not buying that listing.

Good luck, both with the house sale and the move!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM

2,638 posts, read 7,439,183 times
Commision is negoitable. If you feel the agent that helped you purchase the did a good job, I would have them come out to look at the house and give their listing presentation. I would maybe bring out another agent or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County