Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 PM

13 posts, read 32,087 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate my parents and myself and we are truly on a budget. Coming from NY its difficult to wrap my head around these low priced homes. Since my father is a contractor we were thinking of getting a lower priced home and putting the money into fixing it since we need separate living quarters.

Nobody has really answered whether or not these locations are not good places to live. It can't possibly be any worse then where we are now since this neighborhood has gotten run into the ground over the last 60 years. Yet even with that, the home prices are high.

I suggested Dad take a trip down there but where should he look? And are those places okay? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Bear in mind, I am not from West Virginia, but here couple of thoughts that if correct might be helpful, and dead wrong with provoke someone to smack me down, and indirectly help you...

I live out west in Oregon, in a an are that has seen home prices double and triple even as population declined and nice neighborhoods turned into hoods. Obviously in such areas anything related to property development was very profitable for years. Now that the bubble has burst, such areas are toast, and the building trades are terrible. I would assume that New York has had many of the same dynamics.

Well, because of the some of the negative branding of W. Pennsylvania and W. Virginia, these areas never bubbled, so they are both much more affordable, and their economies are doing better. Morgantown area is in the midst of a much milder and sustained development boom, due to growth, and a commute from Fairmont into that area might work for your Dad. So, in contrast to the Northeast and many areas in the sunbelt and DC, the job market is better, at least for a town of its size. Most importantly the income/earning to housing ratios are much better. That is one reason I am considering W. Virginia. It is a place where a person might get ahead, or barring that, be able to live a sensible middle class lifestyle that was unattainable in many areas over the last decade.

I would vote for Fairmont/Morgantown because it is growing, which means work, and West Virginia University is there, which means training potential and cultural activities, good schools, great outdoor recreation,etc. Nothing against Clarksburg, I have just been researching Morgantown for an academic job, and I really like what I am seeing.

Of course, West Virginia is not for everyone, so you would need to make your preferences a bit more clear for folks to help you decide about that.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Thank you for replying! Interesting that nobody from WV replied. I spent half my childhood in Georgia so I'm looking to get back to that feel without the b.s. I went back when I was older and it just wasn't the same.

For some reason when I look into Clarksburg I get the same feeling as I did when I was a kid. I could be wrong since nobody but you has replied but it seems to be a warm/friendly place.

They are on S.S. right now as a main source of income so I think it works better in that regard as well. I'm just not understanding the major price differences in some homes and wondering if they just need a lot of repair or if they're in bad neighborhoods.

Obviously shopping and a hospital is a must.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write me. I will look into Fairmont and Morgantown too.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I grew up in Clarksburg and now live in Bridgeport; and be relocating (sigh) to another state. Anyway, my current impression of Clarksburg is that it is an old town . . . that's fast going downhill. There are still some nice areas though; I'm not sure what particular area you are looking at.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
If you wanted an old restoreable mansion from the 1890's a little town called Mannington has them.

A farm might be the answer near Grafton...restore the old house, which will possibly be a Sears of Wards kit from the 1920's.

Clarksburg had old houses in the 'dope district that they sold to young couples for $1.00 but I believe they are gone by now.

The area is full of older homes...Shinnston...Nutter Fort...Stonewood..all have areas of newer homes and stately old homes that could use a complete gut and re-do. all under 100k.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM

44 posts, read 111,046 times
I am very familiar with Fairmont(lived there 36 years) I attended WVU as well So I did spend alot of time in Morgantown. Both are nice towns with a relaxed pace of life. Morgantown has more to offer in my opinion with the University and hospitals and shopping/restaurants, but Fairmont may be less expensive to live. Fairmont is also a college town as well. Fairmont State University is there, and Technology PArk area in South Fairmont. The whitehall area has restaurants and Walmart. There is very little shopping in Fairmont now, but there are several unique hometown restaurants you will find only there( Muriales, Dutchman's Daughter, Say-Boys, to name a few). It is a very safe, quiet place to live. Its a short commute to Morgantown or Clarksburg as it is in between the two. You generally have to go to Morgantown on Bridgeport/Clarksburg area to visit a mall or other shopping centers. Bridgeport /Clarksburg area has the shopping/ restaurants/ mall and UHC(hospital) and FBI facility. I would recommed Morgantown to anyone moving in the area. Lots of transplants will be there. Generally speaking you will find some very nice people in WV. Fairmont is called the" Friendly city". A good realtor should be able to help you with finding homes in good neighborhoods. I could tell you alot about neighborhoods in Fairmont. I'm not as familiar with those in Clarksburg/Bridgeport. I strongly recommend you visit each town you have mentioned and get your own personal feel for the them. You can research the medical facilities and everything that is very important to you. Morgantown has great medical facilities/services. It is around a 45 minute ride from Clarksburg depending on traffic and such. Fairmont and Clarksburg have hospitals as well, but I personally not a fan of Fairmont General Hospital. In general this is a okay area to live in. Great for raising families and retiring in my opinion. If you are into the big city life, you might not enjoy it. These are small towns. It is about a little over an hour's drive to Pittsburg, PA.(from Fairmont/Morgantown areas) Good luck. I no longer live in this area but I tend to visit every other month. I would be glad to forward information to you if you have other specific questions if I am able to answer them.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Thank you both. I don't mind older homes at all. Most of the homes here are old. Mine was built in 1920. I think the problem from what I've read in WV where older homes are concerned is the insulation. ?? But let me tell you what we're dealing with here in NYC now. Meet SURcharge. Ex: electric usage $28.23 Add on tax's and surcharge comes to $90.73. Oil monthly from $300 to $650 year round. Gas for stove is only $24 or so every two months. But if you have it as heat its insane. So I think I'm in sticker shock on your utilities alone making this a wonderful move for us.

As far as drug addicts go, I could swing a net outside my home and catch them better then farmed salmon. But they don't both us other then bringing down the appearance of the neighborhood. But in NY, location is everything and for some God forsaken reason they tolerate it. I do think in smaller towns were police is low in numbers they do interfere with the people more. But so long as the town itself isn't run down I'm good to go with an older house if we can get it low and then fix it up to a still reasonable price. I found one property I like but am not sure if its in an okay place. Its on Adams Ave.

I have cats and I have a dog. Is everyone friendly towards animals? People here aren't at all.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Well, Clarksburg just got a new dog park at the VA park. And word has it that Bridgeport is getting one too . . . so pretty dog friendly. Almost everyone here on my street has a cat or dog.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM

37 posts, read 104,006 times
I agree prices in Fairmont are better and more to do etc. up that way. The new web site for the areas Multiple Listing Service is www.ncwvmls.com
Good Luck

Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM

That's a great website. Thank you!!! I think it sold me on Fairmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia