Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 PM

5,021 posts, read 9,083,818 times

Advertisements

They got their information from the official census counts from 1970. I checked the file and it lists 29,431 as Morgantown's official population in 1970. I'd say the chart on the Wikipedia page accurately reflects the census numbers.

1970 Census of Population and Housing

And per this page, WVU had 22,000 students in the late 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:13 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,147,262 times
Well, then they must have changed their criteria for how they calculated population. Maybe I am underestimating what was within the city limits at that time (I left for military service in 1966/67), and it is true the vast majority of development here population wise has been in the areas right outside of the city.
The University underwent a period of major growth between the mid 60s and 1980. There were approximately 12,000 students here in 1966. That number grew rapidly as there was a war going on and student deferrments were issued, and it continued growing after the war.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,930,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
They got their information from the official census counts from 1970. I checked the file and it lists 29,431 as Morgantown's official population in 1970. I'd say the chart on the Wikipedia page accurately reflects the census numbers.

1970 Census of Population and Housing

And per this page, WVU had 22,000 students in the late 1970s.

West Virginia University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why are we talking about the 1970s?

I thought this conversation was about Morgantown being the biggest city in WV recently.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 AM

5,021 posts, read 9,083,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Why are we talking about the 1970s?

I thought this conversation was about Morgantown being the biggest city in WV recently.
This conversation was never about Morgantown being the biggest city in WV because it isn't and never has been. The discussion about the 1970s came from this claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
While Morgantown was primarily a college town with light industry (glass companies, a faucet manufacturing plant) and mineral industries, it had around 12,000 permanent residents 40 years ago along with another 12,000 transient students in a perfectly adequate 10 square miles. It still has those same 10 square miles, but within that are now located 32,000 permanent residents and around 25,000 students with a diversified economy that has education, healthcare, government sector jobs, mineral industries, and light manufacturing.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
This conversation was never about Morgantown being the biggest city in WV because it isn't and never has been. The discussion about the 1970s came from this claim:
Im not sure if Morgantown was the biggest city in WV in the 1970s. I wouldnt be surprised if it as, but I just dont know.

It certainly is now, and probably has been so for the past 15 years.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 34,022,412 times
Quote:

The topic of the thread is a comparison between Charleston and Morgantown. If the topic continues to stray it can be closed. Please see the first post in the thread for the topic.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 AM

282 posts, read 488,470 times
Knowing what I know about both towns (grew up closer to Morgantown, went to Fairmont), my opinion is that Morgantown is more suited to younger people right now with all the college age kids around, and Charleston is a more adult-oriented city. Both towns have their pros and cons, but what's important is that both are made up of good hard working people that love the state, as all West Virginians do. On the issue of which is the larger, more densely populated town & vicinity, I personally don't think it's even close and think anyone looking at it honestly would say the same, but that's really a whole different issue. That said, Morgantown has been going throught a nice growth cycle here recently that's likely to continue for some time as WVU continues to expand, and from the posts it sounds like Charleston is seeing some growth & development as well.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
Knowing what I know about both towns (grew up closer to Morgantown, went to Fairmont), my opinion is that Morgantown is more suited to younger people right now with all the college age kids around, and Charleston is a more adult-oriented city. Both towns have their pros and cons, but what's important is that both are made up of good hard working people that love the state, as all West Virginians do. On the issue of which is the larger, more densely populated town & vicinity, I personally don't think it's even close and think anyone looking at it honestly would say the same, but that's really a whole different issue. That said, Morgantown has been going throught a nice growth cycle here recently that's likely to continue for some time as WVU continues to expand, and from the posts it sounds like Charleston is seeing some growth & development as well.
I have to disagree even there. Morgantown is better for people of all ages, except small kids. Morgantown attracts yuppies in there 30s.

I would have said that Charleston is a town that is better for OLD people, but Morgantown just won an award from the AARP for being an awesome place to live. I would recommend the town of Charleston for people who want to escape the hustle and bustle of a city. A place where things are quiet and there is lots of human space. Where as soon as you leave the city you are surrounded by trees for a long time.

Morgantown is for people who want a small city with more to do than Charleston but still want somewhere that isnt too crowded. They are both great places IMO.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,847,130 times
Quote:
I have to disagree even there. Morgantown is better for people of all ages, except small kids. Morgantown attracts yuppies in there 30s.

I would have said that Charleston is a town that is better for OLD people, but Morgantown just won an award from the AARP for being an awesome place to live. I would recommend the town of Charleston for people who want to escape the hustle and bustle of a city. A place where things are quiet and there is lots of human space. Where as soon as you leave the city you are surrounded by trees for a long time.

Morgantown is for people who want a small city with more to do than Charleston but still want somewhere that isnt too crowded. They are both great places IMO.
How is Morgantown not better than Charleston for small kids? Doesn't Morgantown have the best school system in the state?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How is Morgantown not better than Charleston for small kids? Doesn't Morgantown have the best school system in the state?
It does.

I meant small kids or too young to realize how much better morgantown is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia