Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM

14 posts, read 34,941 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Seriously considering moving to Weirton to get away from the hustle, bustle and crime in Pittsburgh. I plan to continue to work in Pittsburgh so I've been investigating carpools. We have a small boy (almost 2) who I would like to show some wide open spaces and a smaller town way of life. Is Weirton the place for me? Pittsburgh is very expensive to get a nice sized yard but it is friendly for it's size. Biggest concern is the crime factor. Drivebys and random violence are common occurences and I've had enough although I have to stay close enough to work. I've visited the area. It would definitely be a change but we are all for it. The amount of bars/clubs I've seen is of some concern, however it is very quiet. What about schools? I have spoken w/ people whose children attended years ago but no one currently enrolled. We all have little "geniuses" who deserve only the bestalthough we have a few years for that. I've seen some nice places but I've also seen some not so nice places. Some folks are quite friendly, others not so much but that is ok. I'm looking for peace and quiet and safety. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Network the churches, service clubs and people who cater to your interests. Weirton is just a hop to the left, take several evening day trips to get to know the area.

Within the current depressed real estate market a great buy is lying at your doorstep.
Many properties are devalued 30% or more. (I'm using Morgantown as an example, not Weirton)

I would side-step the Realtors initially, but why not a call an appraisal company or a mortage banker if your bank has a branch there? Take notes and pics on the excursions. good luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 PM

29 posts, read 149,556 times
like the other poster said, visit the area a few times day and night.
Also check out the surrounding areas. I live south of Weirton in the Follansbee/Wellsburg area, I work in Pittsburgh - it's about a 45 minute drive from door to door. Follansbee and Wellsburg are mostly quite towns. Housing is very reasonable and affordable.
I live a little out of town and I only drawback I can think of is the shopping. If I want to go to Sam's Club I either drive to St Clairsville or Washington PA (both approx a 20 - 25 minute drive), Walmart is Weirton, Steubenville (10-15 minutes) or Wheeling (the Highlands (20 minutes). Lowes - Steubenville 10-15 minutes, or Wheeling 20 minutes. The Tanger outlets in Washington are about 25 minutes away.
The big plus is you more or less have 3 states relatively close - you will learn which has the cheaper gas this week as well as the which does not tax clothing and which does not tax food.

Another drawback is 22 can sometimes get backed up with traffic, depending on what your work hours are or if there is a concert at Post Gazette.
There are alot of people that live in the Weirton/Steubenville/Wintersville/Follansbee/Wellsburg area that commute to Pittsburgh everyday.

Here is a link (hope it works) of some of the housing in the Wellsburg area http://realestate.yahoo.com/West_Vir...&search=Search

Last edited by Blasey; 03-30-2009 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,759 times
For schools, do look into the private schools in Weirton. There are two excellent Catholic elementary schools there, one Catholic high school, all with very reasonable tuition. Non-Catholic students are welcome.

You'll find that the farther from Rt.22 you get, the lower the price of the homes. Traffic in Weirton isn't bad at all so if you're willing to travel an additional 5 miles or so to 22, you'll get an even better price on a house. Marland Heights is nice and the WeirCrest area is very quiet.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 PM

11 posts, read 28,502 times
Default Weirton for African Americans how is it?

I am considering moving from Chicago IL to Weirton WV to work at the airport in Pittsburgh. I see that the cost of living is cheaper in Weirton than it is in Pittsburgh. I know that in 2009 I should not be wondering about this but how is life for African Americans in Weirton? I grew up in Uniontown PA so I am some what familiar with the area. I also have a brother that lives in Natrona Heights PA.

I may get offered the job next week at possibly 34,000 a year is that good for the area?

This is the house I maybe renting in Weirton dont know where it is in the city but looks nice

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1126019557.html (broken link)

Last edited by kidjudge; 04-17-2009 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Left something out

Old 04-18-2009, 04:01 AM

African Americans?

Please leave any racial feelings and prejudces in Chi-town...You're Movin' Up, Baby.

In these parts a person is gauged by their friendliness, honesty and hard work...not the color of their skin.
That's why we are out of step with mainstream America.

Your wages? A little low, but survivable..the house looks good and very reasonable to have that kind of privacy.
If the landlord is mowing that huge lawn, then he must live nextdoor.

Your brother should be telling you these same things..

Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Weirton is defintely out of the hustle and bustle of Pittsburgh that's for sure. Life moves slow in the area.

I never really cared for the Weirton area though. The steel plant used to be a major employer in the area and it's basically dead. The whole area gives out a depressed vibe. Yeah I know, someone from Clarksburg talking about depressing towns, but atleast the North Central region of West Virginia is booming.

If it were up to me, if I lived 25-35 miles from Pittsburgh, I would still live in PA and live in Washington County. It's a nice suburban county with affordable homes, especially in the City of Washington and those areas to the west toward Wheeling.

Also living in West Virginia and working in Pennsylvania you have to consider taxes. You have to pay taxes to two states.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM

North View? that's pretty up-scale for Clarksburg all things considered....ha ha ha...

Income Taxes are reciprical...some divided...Allegheny Taxes are going to get you anyway...

Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 AM

14 posts, read 34,941 times
Thanks all for the input. I have a ton of decisions to make. It will be an adjustment but peace of mind is a beautiful thing. Some parts of Weirton are reminicent of Pittsburgh and the depressing vibe reverberates in most former steel towns. I've been at current position with Allegheny County for 10 years and am not yet willing to give that up which is why I am looking for a "close" getaway.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM

94 posts, read 422,728 times
Hi Nancy...

Being a transplanted Pittsburgher, or Yinzer, I can understand why you would want to get out of Pittsburgh with your family.

Being that you said you want to say close to work, I assume that you work close to the airport or in Moon area? If thats not the case, have you looked at Washington County at all? Bridgeville, Canonsburg, and Washington are all very nice, close, and affordable.

With that said... I want to college in Wheeling, WV... not far from Weirton. Weirton is a nice little town. About the bars and clubs... for a small area, the night life is pretty frequent. West Virginia has a drinking problem. The bars dont have to close till 3am in WV, so there is potential for negative events, but its few and far between what you see in Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh, we have a murder or two a week... in that area, you get a couple a year.

As for schools. Weirton is home to 2 very solid schools. Weirton Madonna is a private school, and a strong academic front. Its small though, only about 150 students, so you're def going to lack a lot of the culture learning that you'd get in the City. But there is not much Culture in that area to begin with. Its very common for kids in that area (and especially older folks) to feel very unconfortable when they are asian, african, middle east people, etc... Its a very white area. If you're a biggot or racist, you'll love the area. While people there are NOT KKK or anything, they def are old American in that almost all people only speak 1 language (english), they are mostly against interacial marriages, etc...

The other school is Weir High... it is a little bigger with roughly 500 students, but still pretty small. They have a rich athletic tradition in football.

Accross the River is Steubenville Ohio, which once used to be a solid economic town. Now it is pretty run down, and not much to it. BUT, it two has 2 solid schools. Steubenville High School has great facilities, and a VERY good football program. The catholic school is Steubenville Central, there too have strong traditions academically and athletically.

Would I live in Weirton? Sure. I would probably send my kids to Steubenville or Steubenville Central though. In that area, it is very common for kids to flip flop schools also.

Taxes are lower in West Virginia, as compared to PA... much lower actually. But with that, the public services are not nearly as good. Things like road conditions, city upkeep, unemployment benefits, police and fire equipment is far behind compared to PA, mostly because of lack of spending dollars generated by Tax dollars.

All and All... I enjoy that area. Its nice to visit and in the Wheeling area I made some of the best friends that I'll ever have in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia