Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM

246 posts, read 881,620 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with Pittsburgh? I had a lotta laughs last time i was up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 53,418 times
I currently live in Weirton and work in Robinson, the commute is not too bad, I work at 8 AM, leave my house at about 20 after 7 and make it in plenty of time. The area has a lot of bars, but if you live in one of the "Heights" areas (Weirton Heights or Marland Heights), you will be far enough from any of the hustle and bustle that the small town has. There are some bad areas, but nothing comparable to Pittsburgh's bad areas. Plus, houses are cheap right now!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM

14 posts, read 34,974 times
Once again, thanks. Decisions, decisions. Weirton would definitely be a change from being around the diversity of Pittsburgh. That is something to consider especially for my son.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
What's wrong with Pittsburgh? I had a lotta laughs last time i was up there.
Pittsburgh is a great place in many aspects, don't get me wrong but very recently a young man was shot in the alley that runs behind my house. His car careened out of control on its way toward the playground. Fortunately, no innocents were hurt. Everyday you hear of a shooting or some sort of ridiculous event. It is getting out of hand. Young kids merely walking home from school are being killed. I have a young son and I would like him to have the opportunity to grow up! In Pittsburgh you have a lot of diversity and culture because of the massive amount of colleges and universities. The communities are close and the cost of living is okay. I may be a little extra jaded because I work in the criminal justice field and I see it everyday but enough is enough for me.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM

I also would like to know what is the difference in the counties? I've heard there is a difference between Brooke and Hancock counties. Can anyone shed any light on that? For example, I've heard that the police in one of those are rougher than the other. In PA, I live in Allegheny county which I believe is the second largest in the state, populationwise. Are there differences in the taxes, services provided?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 PM

94 posts, read 423,353 times
Differences in Counties?

Hummmmm.... I didn't really notice any, but I mostly stayed in Ohio County, which covers Wheeling. Sometimes I would venture to Marshall County, which is next to Ohio County, but far south of Weirton.

The further south you go past Ohio County, you def notice a difference is the people. West Virginia had get very southern, without going that far south.

As for the Police, I can only speak from what I know... Wheeling has some of the nicest Police officers I've ever met. They don't have that typical chip on their shoulder that you see a lot. They actually have a "protect and SERVE attitude".

I went to Weirton several times to frequent different bars while I was in school, and I always felt safe there.

I guess getting back to your question, I personally don't know much about the differences in counties as far as taxes, and benefits, etc.... But as for the people, nothing changes much till you get about 60 miles or so south of Weirton. The further south you go, you lose that "Pittsburgh feel" that you'll still have in Weirton.

Something you may want to consider, as I studied CJ myself. Depending on what kind of job you have, but if you are employed by the State, it is a requirement that you live in that state... And in some cases, even the county you work in.

Might wanna check that out...

Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 AM

423 posts, read 1,239,972 times
I'm fuzzy on the comment about "lack of diversity" in Weirton. As I recall, the steel mills pulled in a variety of ethnic groups during their heyday. Growing up in the area, I remember multiple ethnic based festivals. Where did all of these folks go? Moved away when the mills went downhill? In greater numbers than caucasians did?

I still have family living in Weirton, and they love it there. Housing is affordable and life seems good for them. It is an economically depressed area and will be for some time.

Regarding the comment about bouncing between Weirton and Steubenville schools, I don't think that is too likely. It's probably possible to enroll your kids in an "out of district" school, but I've never heard of being able to do that across state lines.

The commute out rt 22 probably isn't too bad, depending on where you will go in Pittsburgh. I thought that any traffic thru the tunnels was tough??

Good luck in your decision.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 19,162 times
Hello! Our family is considering a move to the Weirton area as well. I was wondering if anyone had some updated information to add to this thread.

My husband works in the Coroapolis area right near Neville Island. We both grew up in Northwestern PA in farm country. We absolutely hate it in Moon Twp and Pittsburgh. The crime has gotten to be too much for us.

I'd much prefer living in the country and making trips on the weekends to go to shows and visit museums.

Our eldest is in first grade and has Autism. Does anyone know what the services are like in the schools?

We are trying to find something that is between a 30-50 minute drive for my husband to work. Hopefully he'll be able to drive mostly highway to make the trip easier.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,944 times
We moved last year and havent looked back since. We left south fayette and couldnt be happier...1/7th the taxes!! cheaper gas and milk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia