Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 06:00 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,872,159 times

Advertisements

Hi guys just trying to learn more about what the route 19 corridor towns are like.

I don't see much discussed in this area.

How is living there? How are the local schools? How are the local people and pace of life there? Is it a closed off area where it's hard for new people to be accepted or are people accepting of new comers?

Sorry for so many random questions

It seems to be a really beautiful area, lots of outdoor recreation etc. It seems like it could have a lot of positives going for it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 02:28 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Hi guys just trying to learn more about what the route 19 corridor towns are like.

I don't see much discussed in this area.

How is living there? How are the local schools? How are the local people and pace of life there? Is it a closed off area where it's hard for new people to be accepted or are people accepting of new comers?

Sorry for so many random questions

It seems to be a really beautiful area, lots of outdoor recreation etc. It seems like it could have a lot of positives going for it.
I've never lived in that part of the state, but I could speak a little bit about it. It's certainly a slow pace of life, but you'll get different vibes from each of those towns you've mentioned. Oak Hill is easily the worst of these communities with a lot of drugs flowing in and out of there. Fayetteville is the up and coming star in the region. It has lots of young people, small businesses, tourism, and probably the most expensive land. Summersville is a sleepy mountain town that resembles other WV towns more so than the other two. I have never heard anything positive or negative about the schools in those three towns. The Summersville area is getting a few new school buildings.

I believe that these areas are accepting and welcoming of new comers. Especially Fayetteville.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I've never lived in that part of the state, but I could speak a little bit about it. It's certainly a slow pace of life, but you'll get different vibes from each of those towns you've mentioned. Oak Hill is easily the worst of these communities with a lot of drugs flowing in and out of there. Fayetteville is the up and coming star in the region. It has lots of young people, small businesses, tourism, and probably the most expensive land. Summersville is a sleepy mountain town that resembles other WV towns more so than the other two. I have never heard anything positive or negative about the schools in those three towns. The Summersville area is getting a few new school buildings.

I believe that these areas are accepting and welcoming of new comers. Especially Fayetteville.

Thanks for the honest and unbiased feedback I really appreciate it.

Fayetteville and Summersville sound pretty interesting. I might have to make an excuse to stop and check Fayetteville out some time from what I've seen and read and how you explained it, I might think I would be interested.

Anything else you can think to share would be welcomed

Old 02-28-2022, 09:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,513,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

Great analysis. Of the three, I would lean toward Fayetteville. It has a much younger, more eclectic vibe. Tons of folks in their 20s move there from all over the country for summer jobs as raft guides, etc. Tourists are flowing in and out of Fayetteville with the national park right there. In short, it seems very accepting and welcoming to newcomers. Not to mention that whole region is absolutely gorgeous…one of my favorite areas of the state.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Great analysis. Of the three, I would lean toward Fayetteville. It has a much younger, more eclectic vibe. Tons of folks in their 20s move there from all over the country for summer jobs as raft guides, etc. Tourists are flowing in and out of Fayetteville with the national park right there. In short, it seems very accepting and welcoming to newcomers. Not to mention that whole region is absolutely gorgeous…one of my favorite areas of the state.
Great write up thanks

How is Fayetteville for raising a family? Is there a job market or would that most likely be a good candidate for remote work? How is internet there?

Old 03-01-2022, 12:36 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,618,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Great write up thanks

How is Fayetteville for raising a family? Is there a job market or would that most likely be a good candidate for remote work? How is internet there?
Can't speak for raising a family but unless you work in a restaurant or the seasonal white water rafting industry (or Wal-Mart) then it is not a great job market. Perfect for remote work though as long as you can get high speed internet. Beckley is a nearby larger 'city' with about 20k people and half hour away - they have a small airport with flights to Charlotte and are a retail center for southern WV. Charleston with a metro population of around 250k is about an hour and some change to the north - there's an airport there with flights that will get you to airline hubs in Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago and DC and to leisure destinations in Orlando and Myrtle Beach. The entire Fayetteville/ New River Gorge area is absolutely beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia