Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 11:23 AM

728 posts, read 302,812 times

Advertisements

Lewisburg is a nice little town. I was there for a week in a VRBO a few years ago. I keep thinking about the time I spent there whenever I reflected on my experiences in all the small towns I went to throughout the USA. I wonder if I would be happy moving there to live. Folks I met there were nice enough, but then I was a tourist and was treated like a guest. What would life be like for me if I became one of them? So, the question is, who are these people who live in Lewisburg? I don't mean the ones who transplanted themselves there from the cities. They could all be gone by now after reality set in and they realize that growing organic produce, baking breads and pastries, and writing novels are not going to cut it.

So, who are the people living in Lewisburg and never leave? They are the ones I must be happy being a part of. Are there any locals who can give me a clue?

Old 04-05-2021, 11:06 AM

No locals from Lewisburg on City-Data? Too busy tending to chickens and turkeys or what?

Old 04-05-2021, 02:50 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
No locals from Lewisburg on City-Data? Too busy tending to chickens and turkeys or what?
There are a couple of our members that know Lewisburg. They may not be on here every day.

I doubt you'll find many chickens or turkeys in Lewisburg. Lewisburg is a small city (population ~4,000) with a huge resort in the next town that employs over 1000 people. Most people work jobs, not farms.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are a couple of our members that know Lewisburg. They may not be on here every day.

I doubt you'll find many chickens or turkeys in Lewisburg. Lewisburg is a small city (population ~4,000) with a huge resort in the next town that employs over 1000 people. Most people work jobs, not farms.

Thanks for responding. For a while, I thought I was alone in the wilderness. So, how do I draw attention to my thread above the furious posting activity at City-Data? Is there some way to "shoot a flare in the sky" to get noticed?

There are definitely folks farming grass-fed poultry and organic produce in the areas around Lewisburg. On my last visit, I attended a dinner gathering of local farmers. It was held in nearby Alderson which is a prison town. (They proudly told me that Martha Stewart did time there.) Although, most are locals, there are more than a few at the gathering who moved to Lewisburg from cities as far away as NYC. It's not easy to live off the land but those wannabe farmers are a draw for me. I can "talk" to them.

You may be right about most people there working jobs. But what type of jobs besides running the stores and restaurants in town? Are you from West Virginia?

Old 04-05-2021, 07:36 PM

456 posts, read 602,265 times
Lewisburg is a town of only 4,000 with probably 10 to 15,000 nearby. The major employers are the Greenbrier resort (2,000), WV school of osteopathic medicine(175), New River Community(175), and Greenbrier Medical Center just south of town(450). I live a couple of hours north but go there 4-5 times a year. The people are great just a great small town with great restaurants for its size. A typical small town with better amenities than most towns its size. Beckley WV is about an hour and Roanoke VA about 2 hours. One of my favorite towns in the region. I hope you find a local on here. It's a Beautiful area.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Lewisburg is a town of only 4,000 with probably 10 to 15,000 nearby. The major employers are the Greenbrier resort (2,000), WV school of osteopathic medicine(175), New River Community(175), and Greenbrier Medical Center just south of town(450). I live a couple of hours north but go there 4-5 times a year. The people are great just a great small town with great restaurants for its size. A typical small town with better amenities than most towns its size. Beckley WV is about an hour and Roanoke VA about 2 hours. One of my favorite towns in the region. I hope you find a local on here. It's a Beautiful area.

Yeah, it's idyllic and the locals (a couple of real estate agents, the woman who owns Swift Level Fine Meats, the folks at the only coffee shop in town, and the farmers at the market) I met there were great. Even a stranger who stopped me to ask if I needed help, when I was fumbling my way to Muddy Creek Mountain, made me want to be a part of their community. But one never know if one is a good fit.

The guy who was killed recently by cops at the Capitol was from Fairlea, where the farmers' market is. Wow, I wonder if that is an omen warning me to watch it.

Two hours north of Lewisburg is not that far away. Have you been living there all your life or are you a transplant from elsewhere? What's life like for you?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Thanks for responding. For a while, I thought I was alone in the wilderness. So, how do I draw attention to my thread above the furious posting activity at City-Data? Is there some way to "shoot a flare in the sky" to get noticed?

There are definitely folks farming grass-fed poultry and organic produce in the areas around Lewisburg. On my last visit, I attended a dinner gathering of local farmers. It was held in nearby Alderson which is a prison town. (They proudly told me that Martha Stewart did time there.) Although, most are locals, there are more than a few at the gathering who moved to Lewisburg from cities as far away as NYC. It's not easy to live off the land but those wannabe farmers are a draw for me. I can "talk" to them.

You may be right about most people there working jobs. But what type of jobs besides running the stores and restaurants in town? Are you from West Virginia?
Of course I am. See up there in the upper right section? It says "West Virginia." I live near Charleston. Been here more than not since Truman was in the White House.

Alderson is a pretty town. Martha Stewart isn't the only celebrity that has done time there. Billie Holiday, Tokyo Rose, and Sara Jane Moore were there too. Moore actually escaped, something that doesn't look very difficult since the place is only a minimum security facility. Last time I looked, they didn't even have a gate at the entrance.

Like was posted above, there are a couple of other significant employers besides the resort. Some studies show that each primary job created creates three more in the community at places like grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, big box stores, and car repair shops. That's where those people work.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Of course I am. See up there in the upper right section? It says "West Virginia." I live near Charleston. Been here more than not since Truman was in the White House.

Alderson is a pretty town. Martha Stewart isn't the only celebrity that has done time there. Billie Holiday, Tokyo Rose, and Sara Jane Moore were there too. Moore actually escaped, something that doesn't look very difficult since the place is only a minimum security facility. Last time I looked, they didn't even have a gate at the entrance.

Like was posted above, there are a couple of other significant employers besides the resort. Some studies show that each primary job created creates three more in the community at places like grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, big box stores, and car repair shops. That's where those people work.

Ok, upper right section, West Virginia. Between you and DT, that's all I need to wise up on whether I would fit in with locals in Lewisburg.

Alderson is charming but only in town where the railway station is. The farmers' dinner I attended was held in the B&B, a grand old house, near the station by the Greebrier river. I returned the next morning to check out the town as a possibility for relocating there away from touristy Lewisburg. The surrounding houses did look downcast and fit right in with the narrative of a prison town. I guess that was me and my picture book expectation of what life is like away from the grime and crime of the big city. This is why I am not sure about Lewisburg which could be just a pretty face done up for the tourists. What is it like to live there year round? Do I need to own a gun against home invasion in West Virginia? All the movies I love tell me that I should.

I did drive through Charleston and Beckley. The big road from Beckley towards Lewisburg was scary. Thank God, I didn't submit to the temptation to leave 64 to get the feel of John Denver's country road down that mountain. The descent on 64 was like a 3 in 1 decline. How do you guys deal with that kind of terrain on a daily basis? I get the same drift everywhere even in Lewisburg town. There was no flat land anywhere. Even the homes have depressions in the backyards. And the roads reminded me of England, Ireland and Scotland. The real estate agent kept mentioning radon mitigation.

Charleston has a bigger population and it would be easier for me to lose myself in that town and be quite happy. But I need to be close to the farmers. What made you stay in Charleston all your life?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:06 PM

I'm not going to participate in this any more. Asking about mountain roads in the "Mountain State," home invasions (as if that is even a thing in small towns), owning guns (there hasn't been a gun in any on my family's homes for at least 3 generations), and acting like all of WV is what shows up in movies, are all reasons I'm not going to continue.

This is the place that gave the world entertainers like Peter Marshall, Don Knotts, Soupy Sales, Jennifer Garner, and Kathy Matea. Not to mention heroes like General Chuck Yeager, or diplomats like Cyrus Vance.

You want to ask if you need a gun to prevent home invasion. Go away. You insult us. I'm pretty sure now that the good people of Lewisburg wouldn't want you there anyway.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:01 PM

I've closed this thread so nobody will find it and resurrect the discussion about the false negative stereotypes mentioned in post #8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia