Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:32 AM

524 posts, read 152,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
On a related note, the U.S. Coast Guard has multiple facilities in Berkeley County. U.S. Customs & Border Patrol has a massive training site just west of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County. Both make you turn your head when you see them in WV.

I love Thomas and Davis! I've thought about getting a weekend cabin out that way. Of the places you've listed, I would put those in my top 3 alongside Lewisburg.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess it makes sense there would be training facilities around there; the seat of government being close by.

Glad to hear Thomas and Davis getting seconded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 10:37 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
If you're going to head North to Davis/Thomas, I would suggest checking out Cathedral State Park. It's not very big, however, it is home to some of the only virgin Hemlock Forest in the entire United States and is rather impressive.
When did you last visit? I ask because Superstorm Sandy took down most of the giants. I visited a few years back and was a bit shocked and sad. Yes, tree fall is natural and allows light in to encourage the growth of the younger trees, but we won't see them get that large again for a few lifetimes.

It is still a nice place to take a hike, but it isn't what it was before that storm. The same thing happened to the big hemlocks in Swallow Falls, in Garrett County, MD, but not to the same extent. So, I would drive up the extra hour or so into MD if big trees are your thing.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
100% agree with Davis/ Thomas/ Canaan Valley area. We are actually looking at a weekend place there as well. I find Lewisburg to be a nice place but rather pretentious - and that is coming from someone who has lived in Northern Virginia / DC the past 15 years. Don't get me wrong the Greenbrier Valley is beautiful but it just has this air of snob in-town for one reason or another. Can't quite pinpoint the origins but it wasn't like that when I was growing up.
A poster on another thread mentioned that he noticed a "lot of yuppies" in Lewisburg. Could that be where that "air" you're noticing comes from?

I'm not exactly fond of yuppies, but as long as they don't have blue state values and culture I can live with them. After a lifetime in my mega-whopper demo-run city, any place where I don't have to keep my head on a swivel and worry about getting robbed or mobbed all the time will be a vast improvement.

That said, I do hope eventually to live around authentic Southern, West Virginia people. Or the equivalent type of Westerners, if I wind up out there.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:47 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
A poster on another thread mentioned that he noticed a "lot of yuppies" in Lewisburg. Could that be where that "air" you're noticing comes from?

I'm not exactly fond of yuppies, but as long as they don't have blue state values and culture I can live with them. After a lifetime in my mega-whopper demo-run city, any place where I don't have to keep my head on a swivel and worry about getting robbed or mobbed all the time will be a vast improvement.

That said, I do hope eventually to live around authentic Southern, West Virginia people. Or the equivalent type of Westerners, if I wind up out there.
I think it has a lot to do with the Greenbrier being nearby- the Sporting Club has brought in a lot of wealthy retirees and second home owners from places like New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc and they tend to bring their attitudes with them. That's not to say there aren't perfectly pleasant people from any of those states- my wife is from Long Island. It's just a certain vibe that I've noticed with some of the restaurants, bars and shops in Lewisburg. Again not all of them but it is noticeable. I can assure if you go to Davis or Thomas and act like a snob in any of the restaurants or bars there your welcome will disappear very quickly with the locals and I like that.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times
Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with the Greenbrier being nearby- the Sporting Club has brought in a lot of wealthy retirees and second home owners from places like New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc and they tend to bring their attitudes with them. That's not to say there aren't perfectly pleasant people from any of those states- my wife is from Long Island. It's just a certain vibe that I've noticed with some of the restaurants, bars and shops in Lewisburg. Again not all of them but it is noticeable. I can assure if you go to Davis or Thomas and act like a snob in any of the restaurants or bars there your welcome will disappear very quickly with the locals and I like that.
I sense that vibe as well when I visit. I think there is a lot more money flowing through the Greenbrier Valley than meets the eye at first glance. I don't think it would ever persuade me away from moving there, though. It's certainly tolerable.

I occasionally search through the Greenbrier Sporting Club property listings just for fun. Those are some spectacular homes! A cabin in the woods of Canaan Valley is closer to my budget, though.

https://greenbrierliving.com/homes/

Last edited by mmccul; 02-10-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-10-2021, 01:15 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
The Greenbrier Valley has always been a bit wealthier/more well-to-do than a lot of the other surrounding areas due to the fertile farmland/agrarian heritage and all of the hot springs and the resorts that followed (the Greenbrier being the lone survivor). They also never had mining, which caused it to develop and grow differently than the rest of southern WV.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
If you're going to head North to Davis/Thomas, I would suggest checking out Cathedral State Park. It's not very big, however, it is home to some of the only virgin Hemlock Forest in the entire United States and is rather impressive.
My grandfather's farm had a lot of hemlock, but most likely they were second growth; anyway, not more than 18" at chest height. Would surely like to see a virgin hemlock forest.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I sense that vibe as well when I visit. I think there is a lot more money flowing through the Greenbrier Valley than meets the eye at first glance. I don't think it would ever persuade me away from moving there, though. It's certainly tolerable.

I occasionally search through the Greenbrier Sporting Club property listings just for fun. Those are some spectacular homes! A cabin in the woods of Canaan Valley is closer to my budget, though.

https://greenbrierliving.com/homes/
No kidding! Had a friend from high school whos grandparents built a place up there. Wow is all I can say.

And you're right - I wouldn't necessarily kick Lewisburg off the list for snob factor but it was just something I felt worth mentioning just in case the OP isn't into that. There are plenty of nice locals as well. Monroe County also has some beautiful land.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times
Quote:
No kidding! Had a friend from high school whos grandparents built a place up there. Wow is all I can say.

And you're right - I wouldn't necessarily kick Lewisburg off the list for snob factor but it was just something I felt worth mentioning just in case the OP isn't into that. There are plenty of nice locals as well. Monroe County also has some beautiful land.
Yes, very beautiful! I was also surprised to see Amish horse & buggies in Monroe County during a visit a couple years ago. Who knew WV had an amish population? Granted, it's not nearly as large as Lancaster County, PA, but I was really surprised.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
My grandfather's farm had a lot of hemlock, but most likely they were second growth; anyway, not more than 18" at chest height. Would surely like to see a virgin hemlock forest.
I have three hemlock on my property in southern Indiana. One is very large near my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia