Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning a trip to West Virginia, a small town called Lashmeet. Can anyone give some advice on what would be the safest route to go? I don't mind the trip taking a little longer if it's a safer way. I've not done much interstate driving, considered just driving regular road even if it's a longer trip. But safety is my big concern. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 10:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
What direction are you traveling? North South East West????

Old 07-01-2020, 06:46 PM

From Manchester TN, going north.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:48 PM

Meant to add in here, I'll be travelling from Manchester TN to Lashmeet WV

Old 07-01-2020, 07:31 PM

I used to stop at the former Davy Crockett restaurant at Manchester traveling from Chattanooga to Nashville. Our son lived in Decherd for a few years and I discovered it while visiting.

Since time is not a problem:

Go over to Chattanooga and take 411 North to 129 into Knoxville
From Knoxville I think you will pretty much have to take I-40 toward Ashville then go up I-81 (about an hour and a half from Knoxville to the Kingsport I-26 interchange)

You can then go over to Gate City, VA (not much Interstate on 26) From Gate City head toward Lebanon on 71N then at Lebanon take US 19

At Tazewell, VA you get on 460 N (might also still be 19) into Princeton, WV
Out of Princeton, take 19 until you get to Rt 10 and Rt 10 leads into Lashmeet.

I have no idea how long that would take but I see it as feasible with not much interstate driving.

We drive the Knoxville route a lot as our son now lives in Vonore, TN.

As for safety, the interstates are, in my opinion, safe. However, if you are uncomfortable driving them, these are some alternate suggestions.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:46 AM

Thank you so much!!☺️ That's cool that you've been out this way!! Davy Crockett was an awesome restaurant. Now it's a Mexican restaurant, and the food is great. They kept the old cabin-esque look to the outside.

I'm planning on leaving around 1 am in the morning, thinking that if I do go interstate it should hopefully alleviate some traffic. Many thanks for your help!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:01 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
I used to travel that part of VA from NE AL for business. And I know most roads well throughout Tennessee too.

I would go Manchester to McMinnville to Cookeville. Get on I-40 East going thru Knoxville to I-81/I-40 intersection where you would get on I-81 north.

Follow I-81 through Bristol and up to Witheville, VA. Turn north on I-77, and get off on Hwy 460 West at Princeton. You'll want to pickup Hwy 19 going northwest of Princeton. Right past Kegley, turn left on Hwy 10 and it takes you into Lashmeet.

Forget trying to drive the backroads to get there. Lashmeet is not the end of the earth--but it's close.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seren575 View Post
Hello, I am planning a trip to West Virginia, a small town called Lashmeet. Can anyone give some advice on what would be the safest route to go? I don't mind the trip taking a little longer if it's a safer way. I've not done much interstate driving, considered just driving regular road even if it's a longer trip. But safety is my big concern. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
I drive from Nashville to the Beckley area once or twice a year. Honestly, the Interstate is your best option compared to the mountain roads in East Tennessee and the roads going over the mountains into WV. If you're uncomfortable, just stick to the right lane and go however fast you feel safe driving.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I used to travel that part of VA from NE AL for business. And I know most roads well throughout Tennessee too.

I would go Manchester to McMinnville to Cookeville. Get on I-40 East going thru Knoxville to I-81/I-40 intersection where you would get on I-81 north.

Follow I-81 through Bristol and up to Witheville, VA. Turn north on I-77, and get off on Hwy 460 West at Princeton. You'll want to pickup Hwy 19 going northwest of Princeton. Right past Kegley, turn left on Hwy 10 and it takes you into Lashmeet.

Forget trying to drive the backroads to get there. Lashmeet is not the end of the earth--but it's close.
I would agree with the above as well.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:33 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Go interstate. Stay in the right hand lane. Find a trucker that is driving in the right lane at the speed limit and just tuck in behind him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia