Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,212 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone, I would love some input from those familiar with Gap Mills in Monroe County, I'm thinking about some land in that area and wondering what the area is like. Crime, shopping, racial makeup, and overall quality of life in that region. I'll be moving from the DMV area for something simpler. Thanks for any input or guidance anyone can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:16 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Its very rural and isolated. Crime is low, there is no real shopping outside of a couple local shops. For groceries, you'll need to go to Union to the IGA. However, you can get some stuff at the Barn Store. Additionally, there is no hospital in Monroe County; you'll be about 40 minutes from the hospital in Lewisburg. Its also not diverse at all. Monroe County is 97% white. There is also not reliable internet, so you'll be using a satellite for that and TV.

If you want a simple, off-the-grid lifestyle, Monroe County is great. Its one of the most picturesque parts of the state. However, if you want something simpler than the DMV area, but still want services and amenities, I'd look at Lewisburg up in Greenbrier County. Some areas outside of Blacksburg in VA may also work, but that area may be a bit larger than you're looking for, especially with Virginia Tech being there.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:07 PM

38 posts, read 13,621 times
It's only half and hour to Kroger in Lewisburg, it's really no big deal.
It's very low crime area, I think.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM

Hi Mattec, and Destination_east89. You guys have been a big help, I wasn't aware of the lack of internet and hospital distance. Mattec you read my mind when you mention off-grid lifestyle which is pretty much what I am looking for. I'll also look into Lewisburg as well Destination_east89. Thank you both for your recommendations, I really do appreciate it!

Old 05-21-2020, 05:06 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombucha01 View Post
Hi Mattec, and Destination_east89. You guys have been a big help, I wasn't aware of the lack of internet and hospital distance. Mattec you read my mind when you mention off-grid lifestyle which is pretty much what I am looking for. I'll also look into Lewisburg as well Destination_east89. Thank you both for your recommendations, I really do appreciate it!
Lewisburg is an awesome little town and the Greenbrier Valley's beauty is breathtaking. You feel "off the grid" but still close to shops, restaurants, I-64, etc.

You may have already visited these sites, but just in case:

https://greenbrierwv.com/

http://lewisburg-wv.com/

https://greenbrierwv.com/places/248/downtown-lewisburg

Old 05-21-2020, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the links mmccul I didn't have those actually. Yours and mattec's suggestion on Greenbrier is interesting and have added that to my short list as well ....... Thanks again for the links!

Old 05-22-2020, 04:44 PM

38 posts, read 13,621 times
There was a typo in my post above, I meant to say "half-an-hour" to Kroger in Lewisburg (I consider it almost nothing).

Generally, being 30 mins to an hour to a hospital - it's like that for most rural places.
Internet will be a challenge almost anywhere in WV out-of-town, if you want wired internet. There're counties in Northern WV which have widespread rural fiber internet project to all kinds of remote places, but nothing that I know of in Southern WV.
Even cell service can be a challenge out-of-town, many cabins in Monroe county don't have cell service and you get phone connection through satellite company, and Greenbrier has whole dead areas in Northern part.
Properties are more expensive in Greenbrier county than in Monroe, usually. More flat usable land in Greenbrier.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:13 PM

Hi destination_east89, I agree that drive is very doable and wouldn't be an issue, concerning the internet connection I do prefer a wired connection for better speeds and reliability but I do understand Gap Mills is pretty much wireless only with I think the speed is capped at 25mbs down and 5mbs up, its fine but I'm sure with adverse weather that drops big time. I'm finding exactly what you're saying about the property prices, there is a big difference between Gap Mills and Greenbier. For now I'm still leaning towards Gap Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia