Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
OMG! I didn't know about this tax!!!! Do they send you forms when you get your license switched?

Do they tax cats?
WV does not tax cats, some cities may tax them though. I'm not sure. I know my hometown of Elkins recently started taxing cats as a way of trying to cut down on the stray cat population and if your cat is outside and does not have tags on it, it will be taken to the shelter where if you don't come and get it in 5 days it is put up for adoption. It personally freaks me out!! I don't live in the city limits, so it doesn't affect me, we live in the country and we don't have the tags on our dogs, they roam freely on our land, we have a 3 acre yard, and our lab/retriever mix never leaves the yard, but what if? I mean I think it is a stupid tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:14 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,208 times
Hey, a "stupid" tax is not a bad idea. You can't fix stupid so why not tax it?
My question is, how do they tax a dog? by the pound? Do they share a database with veterinarians so they can enforce it? In ca. I was supposed to buy a new tag every year but it kind of ...ahem.....slipped my mind for a couple (3) years. Then one day i wanted to board him so I could go to vegas, and had to get a new vaccination before they would board him. The shot was recorded in a state database and in no time at all, I got a collection bill including fees for previous missing years and heavy penalties. At this point, ignoring it is not an option.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
At one time dogs were taxed according to gender...a female dog was $2.00 and a male $1.00 per year... money went to keep the pond filled at the dog pound.

Better days are here now...but our county pulled the plug on their share of the funding about 3 years ago and left the agency to their own peril...most of the funding now from ??? Dogs are people too...sometimes, even more so.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
At one time dogs were taxed according to gender...a female dog was $2.00 and a male $1.00 per year... money went to keep the pond filled at the dog pound.

Better days are here now...but our county pulled the plug on their share of the funding about 3 years ago and left the agency to their own peril...most of the funding now from ??? Dogs are people too...sometimes, even more so.
Well said DK!!! Dogs are people too

They're taxing cats in Elkins based on whether they are fixed or not, with special taxes for breeders.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Hmm.. I wonder if you get a tax credit in Elkins if you own a coonhound. As you may know, they are not too terribly fond of furry things that can climb trees

Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 PM

208 posts, read 605,009 times
I'm just curious about something: In Tennessee, when you move to another county, you have to get your car tag changed to the new county you are moving in to. Do you have to do that in West Virginia? If I'm not mistaken, the tag number on WV tags do not correspond to a county code and the county is not listed on the tags, like in OH, KY, TN, and GA.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
You're right, BE. While you have to notify the DMV that you've moved, the plate is good no matter where you live in the state.

Florida used to have that system too (the number before the hyphen corresponded to the county), but they dropped it several years ago.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Please...Blueyes30...

don't give those crazies in Charleston any ideas...they get us now for vanity plates...the only plate not for sale is the XC...that the reason for that is the EX-CON's make the license plates...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM

208 posts, read 605,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Please...Blueyes30...

don't give those crazies in Charleston any ideas...they get us now for vanity plates...the only plate not for sale is the XC...that the reason for that is the EX-CON's make the license plates...
LOL..I hear ya!

I think it's interesting to see the name of counties (or county code in some states) on the tag though. When cars whiz by with "Knox" county, I say myself, "Oh they're from Knoxville. No wonder they are driving that way!" OR "Oh, "Sullivan" county. Wonder if I know them."

But when I am in West Virginia, I notice alot more cars with the dealership frames. Maybe that's one way you can tell where some people live.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 AM

55 posts, read 235,719 times
I was told once that the first numbers on the WV license plate corresponds to the month that the license expires. Then the cops can just check the little year sticker on the plate and tell if you are driving with expired plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia