Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What is the review of groceries and cost of in Weirton? How is Kroger as a grocery store? (I'm not into discount stores like Wa-lMart or Aldo).

I've been buying beer and wine in Weirton for a while because it's much cheaper than Pittsburgh; by about 11%. Giant Eagle has gone off the chain price wise, so I"m thinking I'll just do all of my shopping at Kroger once per month.

So what do you guys think? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 10:28 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
I am impressed by Kroger's and selection of more hard to find items. I will not patronize Giant Eagle because they take advantage of their Pittsburgh customer base, thinking we'd stick with the hometown market despite their ridiculous high prices. No thanks.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 2,301 times
Thank you! This is great news.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is really interesting that Pittsburgh is growing and becoming quite popular and we have no national grocery chains here.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:40 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I am impressed by Kroger's and selection of more hard to find items. I will not patronize Giant Eagle because they take advantage of their Pittsburgh customer base, thinking we'd stick with the hometown market despite their ridiculous high prices. No thanks.
Giant Eagle is high everywhere. I always avoid it. Kroger is by far the best large grocery store between selection and price.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:45 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,396,584 times
I used to go to Krogers for beer when I was staying in Moon, PA. Kroger's is a nice enough store and the selection is okay. However if you go a little further the Kroger's in Steubenville is nicer and they sell hard alcohol there as well. Sometimes the gas prices can be 80 cents cheaper than Pittsburgh and 20 to 40 cents cheaper than Weirton.

Although Kroger is sometimes 20 or 30 cents above local stations. I use gas buddy before I go and if they play games gas up elsewhere and accumulate my gas points. Call me cheap but when gas is a good price at Kroger's and I have around 75 cents or more discount per gallon I take gas cans and fill all 35 gallons they allow. I save around $100 a month doing this.

I was not impressed by Giant Eagle at all when I went there and that place wouldn't be in business where I am from.

The key take away here is Kroger's is worthwhile to go to in Weirton and it would be the closest shop for me. However I cross the bridge and go into Steubenville to use that Kroger's. If you ever want to do that the easiest way to get there is continue past Weirton and follow the signs for Follansbee WV. Around two miles south of the 22 there is an old bridge take that up to Kroger's it is easier than the University exit.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:49 PM

The curbside pick up service is also much better on the Steubenville side and is more likely to actually have everything you order. They still charge $5 however I heard that this will be free in the near future. If you want beer I believe you still have to go inside yourself. However for curbside pickups I always let them do most the shopping and pick my own meat and veggies anyway.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:49 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,299 times
Why not Walmart? Cheaper prices and decent selection, and can always go to Kroger for something you can't find there. There's no comparison between Wal-Mart and Aldi. Aldi only if you're extremely thrifty or desperate.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Why not Walmart? Cheaper prices and decent selection, and can always go to Kroger for something you can't find there. There's no comparison between Wal-Mart and Aldi. Aldi only if you're extremely thrifty or desperate.
One reason I can think of is gas points and that Kroger sells gas. If they are going to drive all that way might as well get heavily discounted gasoline. Otherwise I hear what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia