Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 03:46 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,711,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I want to help you and will Ranger, but I also have to be brutally honest in order to do so.

If you are not happy in Jefferson, you won't like anywhere else in WV.

Jefferson is, by far, one of the most prosperous areas of the state with the best roads. You're actually the first person I've ever heard complain about the roads in Jefferson and I've lived here my whole life. The Eastern Panhandle has the best roads in WV, hands down. I have friends from other parts of the state and their jaws drop when they come here and see the growth, good roads, new housing, etc.

I'm not in any way saying your points are invalid. I appreciate you sharing your views. They are just simultaneously intriguing and shocking to me. This looks like a description of the southern coalfields or the Ohio Valley, not the Eastern Panhandle.

As far as jobs go, we are a bedroom community. One of the main characteristics of a bedroom community is tons of available housing and primarily service-related jobs (restaurants, bars, retail, etc). I've seen this in bedroom communities across the US. People live here and work elsewhere.

The drug issue is a national epidemic, including in Northern Virginia. However, I will agree it is more obvious here. It seems to be more hidden elsewhere. I've also noticed a recent uptick in homeless people walking around in Berkeley.

Just curious, what brought you here? What was it about Jefferson County that made you happy at first? Just trying to get a feel for your interests so I can help you. I appreciate the conversation.
I guess you have never been to Greenbrier County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,897 times
Who moves to West Virginia?

Old 11-27-2019, 05:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I guess you have never been to Greenbrier County.
Yes, several times. The roads are far better than Greenbrier, if that's what you are referring to.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Who moves to West Virginia?
Many people, actually. It's a great place to live when people give it a chance with an open mind and don't buy into media portrayals and sterotypes.

WV MetroNews The prosperous Eastern Panhandle - WV MetroNews

Old 11-27-2019, 05:42 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have lived in Martinsburg/Berkley Co & Charles Town/Ranson/Jefferson Co for 45 years Never Run into what the OP is describing. Lack of jobs yes But not homeless & drugs. Bet OP lives in what used to be called wrong side of the track. Sure there are drugs & homeless That EVERYWHERE. In 45 years I only read about it the news papers Not live any where near it.

OP needs to Move to an area he knows....
[u]
You must be very sheltered. Berkeley County on one list I saw (on the front page of either USA Today, or the Washington Post?), last year was one of the top 5 counties in the entire United States in its rate of Opioid (use or deaths?). I can't find that link now, but here is a link with similar statistics for Berkeley County.

https://www.livestories.com/statisti...aths-mortality

Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
[u]
You must be very sheltered. Berkeley County on one list I saw (on the front page of either USA Today, or the Washington Post?), last year was one of the top 5 counties in the entire United States in its rate of Opioid (use or deaths?). I can't find that link now, but here is a link with similar statistics for Berkeley County.

https://www.livestories.com/statisti...aths-mortality
That doesn't mean the average resident sees any of it at all. I live near Charleston. I have to go into certain parts of the downtown area and [almost] make an effort to run into any of the homeless people or the opioid users. I've got friends and relatives in Huntington (where these problems are even worse) and they talk about what a great city it is and what a nice place it is to live and raise a family. Yet the drug problem in Huntington is so bad that they have identified an HIV cluster there. Still, it is a lovely city that recently rated 100% on a diversity index and is a very welcoming place for new residents.

If you buy a home in a residential area where the other homes look nice and well maintained, you would be unlikely to encounter these problems. The people I know who live in the Eastern Panhandle all speak highly of the area as a great place to live.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:47 AM

13,928 posts, read 39,306,840 times
WELL OP your Worries over the MARC Train were over on Friday BUT Today the Train Derailed in Harpers Ferry.... You don't seem to have Any Luck.

https://www.journal-news.net/journal...-zYFB0ZX1OeoMo
Our Tax Dollars Just so people can USE our area as their Bedroom!

https://www.journal-news.net/journal...DP08EkZnvigU_c
Powers to be trying to say something

Old 12-22-2019, 01:43 AM

537 posts, read 959,077 times
Quote:
What a dumb comment.
Your position is that the only people who should live in Jefferson Co. are those who work in Jefferson Co.?

Old 12-23-2019, 07:52 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,617,686 times
Glad to see it all worked out in the end (for now). It's a shame they can't at least have one train run on Saturday and Sunday well. MARC finally did that between DC and Baltimore. Promoting the Eastern Panhandle towns as a weekend destination could be nice but unless one is planning on not leaving Shepherdstown or Harpers Ferry you're going to be spending quite a bit on Ubers to get around. I am not saying it isn't doable but I think I'd rather have my car.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
WELL OP your Worries over the MARC Train were over on Friday BUT Today the Train Derailed in Harpers Ferry.... You don't seem to have Any Luck.

https://www.journal-news.net/journal...DP08EkZnvigU_c
Powers to be trying to say something
1. The line that the freight train derailed from was separate from the rail line MARC uses.

2. Yes, this is their bedroom. But, this is also where their grocery stores, clothing stores, gas stations, big box stores, restaurants, bars and so on are located. What does this mean? Tax dollars that go right back into our community. WV desperately needs the growth that's happening in the EP. There are plenty of dead areas of WV that are begging for new residents if anyone is looking to get away from here.

Investing in MARC was an excellent decision by WV. We are so far behind almost every other state when it comes to public transportation. In most other states, funding a commuter rail line would be a no-brainer. Here, it's like pulling teeth from a lion.

3. To imply that the train derailment was done by the "powers that be" is incredibly disrespectful.

4. Why do almost all of your posts appear confrontational, Katie1? I, as well as other members, have tried numerous times for years to have productive conversations with you only to be met with insulting replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia