Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 3,884 times

Advertisements

Tried to post this yesterday, but can't find it now. If this reposts, my apologies.
We are planning to relocate to WV sometime next year. We've been told the reason the population is so low and cost of land is so low is because the water quality is too poor to sustain.
We wanted to check with locals to verify as our internet search isn't returning any recent results.
We are avid outdoors-people we love to hunt and fish and swim, boat, etc. We want to be near some body of water, can we swim/fish (and eat our catch)/boat safely? Is there a safer vs worse situation?
Any links and info would be helpful.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 07:40 AM

33 posts, read 28,191 times
WV prides itself on its natural beauty and that is a driving to the economy of the state. So if you are avid outdoors people you will surely fall in love with the state.

As for the water quality in my neck of the woods, people swim, boat, fish, etc in the waters around us. I am from the North Central part of the state, so Morgantown/Bridgeport area. I am not sure where you heard that the poor water quality is driving down population and property prices but that is just not true. The reason for low population and prices is because much of the state is rural and isolated. In addition to that the economy, like many places right now, is slow and with an already low population this drives everything else down. There are pockets of population that are growing while other parts are not. But do not let that sway you away from moving here. There is lots of promise especially in the NC part of the state with a growing economy and population that will give you plenty do both the outdoor and non outdoor type.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:59 AM

Thank you! We want to purchase land in the middle of nowhere, but within an hour of a "city". I grew up in Ohio and I miss the beauty of the area. Glad to hear it's not a water issue.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:16 AM

33 posts, read 28,191 times
No problem. And if you have any more questions feel free to ask them. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site.

May I ask where you all are looking to relocate?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Probably closer to Morgantown or Weston, but not in the city.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 AM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stphlnn View Post
Tried to post this yesterday, but can't find it now. If this reposts, my apologies.
We are planning to relocate to WV sometime next year. We've been told the reason the population is so low and cost of land is so low is because the water quality is too poor to sustain.
We wanted to check with locals to verify as our internet search isn't returning any recent results.
We are avid outdoors-people we love to hunt and fish and swim, boat, etc. We want to be near some body of water, can we swim/fish (and eat our catch)/boat safely? Is there a safer vs worse situation?
Any links and info would be helpful.
Thank you

Water in West Virginia has never been cleaner or more pristine since it was inhabited. One of the most incredible rivers in the nation, the New River, is to be found in the heart of West Virginia. Outside of Colorado, it has the best White Water Rafting in the nation. There are beautiful, deep blue lakes all across the state. The are more babbling brooks loaded with native trout than you can count.

If you drive to West Virginia you will know when you cross over into this land. Everything feels more real. The hills and mountains are taller, the trees are taller, the woods are thicker and deeper, the river valleys and canyons are hidden and twisted. Where you see the land, you will see the strata of the earth revealing just how old this land truly is.

Stop your car, roll down the window and sit still for a moment. The air is scented with memories of times lost and the forest, which blankets the entire state in a deep emerald blanket is alive with animal sounds as nature goes about its day. The skies are graced with eagle and hawk and falcon and many others from the common to the unexpected.

We have cities here, but none are very big. You can find anything you want in them, but you will not stay long in them. Fortunately, they are a small presence and one you start the car, it will seem like you have already left civilization for the wilds.

You want to live in the most beautiful spot in West Virginia, throw a dart at a map and live where it lands. It will not matter where you go because no place here is anything but incredible.

But, for all of its wonder, it has its draw backs. West Virginia's populations hovers at 1.8 million for the entire state. No matter how many millions are added each census to Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania, West Virginia does not grow. Opportunity for young people here is limited to the few urban centers and even in these places it is a pale comparison to similar sized cities elsewhere. It is why so many youth join the military, adventure and excitement because to the young, the life in West Virginia is locked in times long lost.

West Virginia is as much a physical place as it is a state of mind and being.

Obviously my presentation of the state comes from my love for it. I have been to many states that the same could be said by their natives of their birth land. But, having been to those places, I did not feel the indescribable lure to go back to them, that so many who visit West Virginia profess. Once you get here and the soil works its way between your toes on your bare feet, the crisp air, filled with scents your mind can't recognize and the water splashes on your skin, West Virginia has claimed you. You will not know it when it happens, but you will if you leave and stay away a few weeks, your soul will ache.

All of those youth that left, spend the rest of their lives wanting to return, but life here comes at a price, walking away from the mundane world and few willingly do that? Will you be one?

Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Check your specific location. Many streams have been polluted with mine waste. If you post some specific locations you are looking at, I am sure you will get more specific information. Do not assume all locations in the state are going to have clean running streams.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:22 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Taxes are Cheap cause they are Stuck in the 1950 tax. When my son bought his home they put him on a Tax plan of XX increase each year till it caught up to current year .... This Only applies to OLDER homes .... New homes you will be taxed! As of 15 years ago... BTW they are increasing this on new buyer, Older owners are staying the same.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Taxes are Cheap cause they are Stuck in the 1950 tax. When my son bought his home they put him on a Tax plan of XX increase each year till it caught up to current year .... This Only applies to OLDER homes .... New homes you will be taxed! As of 15 years ago... BTW they are increasing this on new buyer, Older owners are staying the same.
Dang what county is that in?

Out here in Monongalia County (Morgantown) they reappraise everything every couple years. Every year they choose a taxing district and reappraise it and then the next year they chose another. It also helps that Mon County has lowered their taxes 2-3 years in a row now (thanks to the area growing so much).

To the OP, if you are worried about property taxes here, to give you an example, my townhouse (about 2 years old) was appraised at ~$184,000 and I paid around $975 in property taxes for the year (including all of the levies for the schools, the bus system and parks). I am not in the city though, I am about 5 miles west (12 minute drive) of Morgantown in the countryside.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 AM

110 posts, read 224,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Again -- what county is this?
I constantly get the "Charleston says we have to raise the assessment".
My response "We are not in Charleston".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia