Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,008 times

Advertisements

In terms of snowfall and such. I've actually never been, but would like to visit sometime. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some people who actually live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
It depends on where you are in the state. Here on the western side of the state, the snowfall isn't that bad in a typical year. As you get into the higher elevations in the eastern part of the state though, you can have pretty significant snowfalls every year. Here are a couple of links that might give you some of the info you are looking for.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...ed-states/3218

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Bailey is correct. Huntington probably has the least snowfall in the state. The amount is affected by two factors here … altitude and latitude. There are major differences even between two places close to each other based on altitude. Kingwood, on the Allegheny Plateau, and Terra Alta, also close by, have much more snowfall than Morgantown. So does Coopers Rock, even though it is only 9 miles away.

One rule of thumb is to never travel in the mountains during winter months at night. The weather is usually worse then, and the roads are not cleared until daytime.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 AM

282 posts, read 484,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
It depends on where you are in the state. Here on the western side of the state, the snowfall isn't that bad in a typical year. As you get into the higher elevations in the eastern part of the state though, you can have pretty significant snowfalls every year. Here are a couple of links that might give you some of the info you are looking for.

The second link looks to be the most accurate.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:05 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Depends on where you are in the state. The I-64 corridor from Charleston to Huntington and parts of the Eastern Panhandle closer to the DC region tend to be the least snowy. Morgantown isnt far behind snow wise but as CT pointed out when you head a few miles east on I-68 those numbers rapidly increase.

Heaviest snow areas are places like Elkins, Terra Alta, Canaan Valley and in the south around Summersville, Richwood and Beckley.

I do question that second link as it states Charleston averages 36 inches of snow a year while Huntington only 11. The two are a mere 50 miles apart and similar elevation- the real average for both is more in the 20 inch range.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:38 AM

194 posts, read 181,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

Researching Hunting for a possible move I find people mention it has bad weather I don't see a lot of snow reports, looking scientifically it is listed as a Pacific Coastal Temperate Climate which means rain lots of rain I assume caused by moister coming off the river that the clouds have to release to go over the mountains

Old 01-28-2019, 05:08 AM

16,664 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Depends on where you are in the state. The I-64 corridor from Charleston to Huntington and parts of the Eastern Panhandle closer to the DC region tend to be the least snowy. Morgantown isnt far behind snow wise but as CT pointed out when you head a few miles east on I-68 those numbers rapidly increase.

Heaviest snow areas are places like Elkins, Terra Alta, Canaan Valley and in the south around Summersville, Richwood and Beckley.

I do question that second link as it states Charleston averages 36 inches of snow a year while Huntington only 11. The two are a mere 50 miles apart and similar elevation- the real average for both is more in the 20 inch range.
All of that is true. I do not know why, but when we have snow, Charleston get more of it than Huntington, and there are indeed times that Charleston gets snow accumulation while Huntington just gets a dusting.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
True- especially depending on the Alberta Clipper path but on annualized basis the difference isn't that significant. Certainly not 25 inches. There is no way Charleston averages more snow than Clarksburg, Morgantown and Bluefield and has an average close to Summersville Lake.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
True- especially depending on the Alberta Clipper path but on annualized basis the difference isn't that significant. Certainly not 25 inches. There is no way Charleston averages more snow than Clarksburg, Morgantown and Bluefield and has an average close to Summersville Lake.
I agree. On average, we don't get a lot of snow in Morgantown itself, but I would say Charleston gets even less.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:50 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:

Well, it depends on how you measure the snow fall.

The valley floor on which Charleston sits is roughly 600 feet in elevation. Yeager Airport where snow fall is measured for Charleston has an elevation of roughly 1,000 feet. My home, a bit south of Charleston on Corridor G rises to almost 1600 feet.

When snow fall hits the valley, my house will 5 or 6 inches of snow and I will see snow all the way north on corridor G until right before I drop out of South Hills onto the valley floor. Then there is little to any snow. Just last week, the clipper that went through, dusted downtown with less than an inch but the houses on the ridge tops surrounding downtown had 2 or 3 inches.

Summersville is only 1800 or so feet in elevation and they definitely get more snow than Charleston downtown, but probably not a lot more than Yeager or on top of any of the ridgelines surrounding the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia