Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 AM

15 posts, read 11,425 times

Advertisements

Your lack of understanding and assumptions don't make your answers factual or realistic. Get some knowledge instead of guessing. Prisoners and the military/national guard could provide these services. You obviously have a tunnel vision view of just what's happening in your living room.

From WV Metro News
What’s open and closed in W.Va. during the shutdown
As described above, there is access to national parks in West Virginia, but not a full array of services.
The National Park Service contingency plan says the agency will stop providing visitor services, including restrooms, trash collection and facilities and roads maintenance, including plowing.
“Staffing levels will be based on the assumption that no visitor services will be provided,” according to the park service contingency plan.

If there’s snow before the shutdown ends, roads and trails within parks may not be cleared.

WV MetroNews – What’s open and closed in W.Va. during the shutdown

Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 AM

113 posts, read 149,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentnosetony View Post
Your lack of understanding and assumptions don't make your answers factual or realistic. Get some knowledge instead of guessing. Prisoners and the military/national guard could provide these services. You obviously have a tunnel vision view of just what's happening in your living room.

From WV Metro News
What’s open and closed in W.Va. during the shutdown
As described above, there is access to national parks in West Virginia, but not a full array of services.
The National Park Service contingency plan says the agency will stop providing visitor services, including restrooms, trash collection and facilities and roads maintenance, including plowing.
“Staffing levels will be based on the assumption that no visitor services will be provided,” according to the park service contingency plan.

If there’s snow before the shutdown ends, roads and trails within parks may not be cleared.

WV MetroNews – What’s open and closed in W.Va. during the shutdown
Stop wasting your time with her. She's clearly made up her mind with whatever false narrative she wants to push. Or, she's a troll. Or, she's both.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM

16,792 posts, read 15,940,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Then WHY did he post this in WV? Original Post was Charleston WV MODS moved it the general WV. Post #6

Maybe he needs to Mind NY Business NOT WV.
I did that. Because the thread was started in the Charleston sub-forum. It had no particular relevance there, so I moved it to the main WV forum since the state does have facilities owned and operated by the National Park Service.

One thing West Virginia DOESN'T have is a full time military base.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM

15 posts, read 11,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
Stop wasting your time with her. She's clearly made up her mind with whatever false narrative she wants to push. Or, she's a troll. Or, she's both.
Thanks! I got It and I agree.

Military/ National guard are transferred around the country as needed to cleanup after unforeseen situations tax the resources of states and organizations in those states. They will even stand and pass out water for days. No reason they can't do some trash runs. The prisoners, too. Bivouacking has never been a problem for the military.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:47 PM

13,950 posts, read 39,562,349 times
2 Newbie Trolls Calling other members Names just cause they Don't agree with them.... Real Mature just like Trump going thru his 2nd childhood throwing Temper Tantrum

Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,189,756 times
Since this thread has spiraled out of control and I'm sure most people have no idea what the question is or whatever, can we just delete it?

Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,157,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentnosetony View Post
Thanks! I got It and I agree.

Military/ National guard are transferred around the country as needed to cleanup after unforeseen situations tax the resources of states and organizations in those states. They will even stand and pass out water for days. No reason they can't do some trash runs. The prisoners, too. Bivouacking has never been a problem for the military.
I spent a WHOLE lot of time in the military, coincidentally much of it in New York. National Guard troops do respond to disasters and use their equipment to help with cleanup. That is true. But they are not activated and assigned to go around and pick up trash. Inmates … yes. They routinely pick up trash, but not the military unless they are doing it on their own time as volunteers. Active duty personnel are very rarely assigned to disaster assistance, although I am aware of it being done in the case of large wildfires on the West Coast, and in the case of the more recent hurricane recovery efforts in Puerto Rico.

These days, military personnel are generally used to focus on mission related activities and training. It is very expensive to use them for civilian related operations. It isn't just the pay involved, it is allowances, housing allotments, medical issues, transportation costs, use of allotted "man hours" for National Guard troops which distracts from mission essential training, logistics and provision of foodstuffs. It is not a simple matter at all.

Even the mess halls are largely staffed with civilians these days, and a lot of services have been privatized, or they have government civilians performing them. It is a lot cheaper to take inmates out and get it done that way, and it fits better with what organizations are supposed to be accomplishing. They are not going to mobilize military organizations to go out and pick up trash. When you say "they are being paid anyway", … that is way off base.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-17-2019 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-17-2019, 05:59 PM

16,792 posts, read 15,940,974 times
This was a silly idea for a thread. In spite of that, there was a lot of personal digs going back and forth.

I apologize for leaving it open this long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia