Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times

Advertisements

I have a friend from Madison and he loves it too! There are some very nice older homes as well as new ones there, and the town itself is truely a charm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 90,691 times
Default Boone County

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
If I was looking for peace and tranquility Boone County would be one of the last places I would choose. The mountains are being blasted apart to get to the coal seams. There is a big mountaintop removal mine at Twilight, a 2000 acre one planned on Spruce Fork, a giant one at the county line above Garrison. There are a large number of conventional strip mines throughout the county. Not to mention all of the deep mines that can cause mine subsidence and dry wells. Coal trains blowing their horns as they pull coal out of the NUMBER ONE coal mining county in WV. The roar of fans, hum of prep plants, ambulances to the mines, delivery trucks to the mines, towering slurry impoundments - yep, Boone County is about the least peaceful place I can think of.

Go one county to the north to Lincoln County for peace and quiet.
I want to thank you for your honesty with this valuable information. I realize there are folks that live in Boone County and love it so it's very much appreciated that you took the time to put information down from the other side of the coin to help people looking to relocate. Good job, well done.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 23,827 times
Question Twilight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
If I was looking for peace and tranquility Boone County would be one of the last places I would choose. The mountains are being blasted apart to get to the coal seams. There is a big mountaintop removal mine at Twilight, a 2000 acre one planned on Spruce Fork, a giant one at the county line above Garrison. There are a large number of conventional strip mines throughout the county. Not to mention all of the deep mines that can cause mine subsidence and dry wells. Coal trains blowing their horns as they pull coal out of the NUMBER ONE coal mining county in WV. The roar of fans, hum of prep plants, ambulances to the mines, delivery trucks to the mines, towering slurry impoundments - yep, Boone County is about the least peaceful place I can think of.

Go one county to the north to Lincoln County for peace and quiet.
I am from Twilight. Born in Madison. Been away since 1960 and never got over missing WV. I have been reading here just looking for familiar places and maps. I did not post before because I did not think ANYONE heard of Twilight. A family member went back there a few years ago and my old home place is still standing. My aunt was once the post mistress of the post office there and I attended Mooney schook (no longer there) and older sibling went to Van High.

Is there anyone here who may be familiar with the Epling or Curry families from that area (also Gordon). I am desperately trying to find one relative who can help me find the cemetery of my deceased grandparents that I need for legal records. You can pm me or send email. Please, if you can help, I appreciate it. I am not able to travel to WV at this time. thank you! ilana

Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,879 times
Originally Posted by KewGee
I'm still on my search to live in the mountains somewhere in WV, VA, NC, or TN. I want to be where it's as peaceful as can be.

Boone County (Madison) looks pretty nice to me as far as what I'm looking for in the weather's comfort level, snowfall, ethnicticity, crime, etc.

Can anyone tell me what you think about the area? What about flooding as in homes or is the area just prone to overflowing creeks, etc.

Many thanks!!

I LIVE IN MADISON RIGHT NOW AND ALTHOUGH IT IS QUIETER THAN THE CITY , I HAVE TO SAY THERE ARE ALOT OF DRWBACKS HERE AS WELL. MANY OF THE LANDLORDS IN THE TRAILER PARKS THAT ARE EVERYWHERE DOWN HERE KEEP THEM EXTREMELY RUN DOWN. DRUGS HERE ARE TERRIBLE! THERE IS NOT MUCH OPTION IN MAJOR SHOPPING , WE HAVE A KROGER, FOODLAND , AND SAVE A LOT AND MAGIC MART IS THE ONLY REAL SHOPPING OUTLET HERE. FOR COAL MINING IT IS A GOOD AREA, BUT THE SCHOOLS ARE TERRIBLE, MY KIDS CAME HERE FROM A LARGER CITY AND THEY DID GREAT THERE, BUT IN THE 4 YEARS OF LIVING HERE THEY HAVE GONE MAJORLY DOWNHILL AND THE TECAHERS DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT BULLYING, VIOLENCE ETC. THEY TRY TO COVER IT UP AT MADISON ELEMENTARY. THE "HOPSPITAL" HERE IS BASICALLY A BAND-AID STATION AND EVERYTHING EMERGENCY ENDS UP BEING SENT ABOUT 30 MINUTES AWAY TO CHARLESTON WHERE THE DOCTORS REFER TO MADISON AS "THE VETRINARIAN" I LIKED IT HERE WHEN WE FIRST MOVED HERE , NOT SO MUCH NOWADAYS, AS FOR FLOODING, THE PARKS AND FOOTBALL FIEDS ETC. WERE COMPLETELY UNDERWATER LAST SPRING AND PERSONALLY WE HAD TO LEAVE WHEN THE WATER WAS COMING TO MY STEPS BY 8 AM THAT MORNING. I WOULDN'T ADVISE MOVING TO THE AREA, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, OR ARE GOING TO WANT A JOB CLOSE BY BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING REALLY. THIS IS JUST ONE PERSON'S OPINON AND EXPERIENCE, THOUGH, AND I AM SORRY IF SOMEONE IS OFFENDED OR DISAGREES

Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,503 times
Default Boone County Woman Wanted

Looking for a Boone County female 18-36 interested in marriage. Email me with photo at JakThis@webtv.net

Old 12-26-2007, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 20,436 times
We got a house (for sale) near Seth. It has never flooded.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:57 AM

107 posts, read 361,000 times
Hey try hillsboro,outside lewisburg, elkins as well

Old 12-27-2007, 06:42 PM

78 posts, read 394,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpreece View Post
Well I left Boone County area around 17. Not the same place now 12 years later. Its flooding bad there now and drugs have consumed alot of people there.
That is strange to hear. I have several cousins & old high school friends that are still there. I talk or email fairly often & visit most every year. The folks I know all seem to lead "normal" lives

Old 11-14-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,414 times
To the person who wrote about the noise. I visit my mother in Danville several times a year, and I do not hear the noise you wrote about. If you want noise, I live near I-4 in Orlando, and I hear noise all day and night.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,188 times
if you honestly think that boone county is the worst place to go in the world, you obviously havent been out of the house too often to notice all the peace and quiet of west virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia