Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times

Advertisements

CT, i agree with a lot of what you are saying, but there are also mixtures of other ethnicities throughout all of WV, it's not as cut and dry divided North and South like you are making it sound. In fact, there is a larger German ancestory population in the Mid-Ohio Valley, and also in the huntington/Ashland/Ironton area. And i am sure there are Scot/Irish populations in in the Northern part of WV. Surprisingly i've even come across some Italian decendants in the deep parts of Southern WV, not sure if they are still there now though, as i know those populations in the deep south have dramatically dwindled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
I think the largest export in Northern West Virginia would be pepperoni rolls(which are pretty good). There is another issue at hand, I don't think Northern West Virginia nor Southern West Virginia should lay claim to the Eastern Panhandle til they have their own vote.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
Yes we still have some Italian descendants in Bluefield, Welch, Kimball, Keystone, and Northfork, they mostly have dwindled. Their stonemasonry is quite renowned and is still in use today.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
You have it all wrong cry_havoc. See, Tudor/Gino's is headquartered out of Nitro, WV (right next to the old WWII Nitroglycerin plant, coincidence? I think not) which is right in the heart of southern WV. We will survive off Peppi Melts and Big Tator Platters for breakfast and every evening will turn into Two-for-Tuesday specials of Gino's spaghetti. We will eventually strengthen our army up by loading up on carbs and begin a half-million man march to Flatwoods to face our supressors.

While the northern cities are starting to fatten their wallet's the over-competitive folks from NCWV will begin to create tension with the representatives in the EP and NP, as they will try to make Morgantown the new capitol, Wheeling will fight to try to bring it back to their city after losing it to Charleston 1 century earlier. This in turn will lead to the new North West Virginia to break up into 3 smaller states. The original Northern Panhandle renames itself Middlefinger. North Central appropriately names itself Egotopia. And the Eastern Panhandle accidentally cut itself off the crust of the Earth when they tried to build a border fence between Paw Paw and Cacapon Road, local legend has it that Berkeley, Morgan and Jefferson Counties fell into a black hole and were never seen again.
Morgantown doesnt want to be the capital. Where the hell is there even room for a capital? The city is growing fast enough without adding that burden.

Also that march would destroy the southern WV army. The population is old, obese, and out of shape in the south. Within one hour they would be dead and the rest surrounding.

EP can decide if it wants to join the new state of North WV. I imagine they would as they have no love for MD, VA, and PA and North WV would not neglect them like Charleston. Eventually North WV would annex South WV.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
I propose Mobley as the capitol of NWV.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
CT, i agree with a lot of what you are saying, but there are also mixtures of other ethnicities throughout all of WV, it's not as cut and dry divided North and South like you are making it sound. In fact, there is a larger German ancestory population in the Mid-Ohio Valley, and also in the huntington/Ashland/Ironton area. And i am sure there are Scot/Irish populations in in the Northern part of WV. Surprisingly i've even come across some Italian decendants in the deep parts of Southern WV, not sure if they are still there now though, as i know those populations in the deep south have dramatically dwindled.
I agree it's not all cut and dry, and I really don't mean to make it sound like that. Since this is primarily about the Northern Panhandle I should also point out that north of Wheeling, Italian is the the primary ethnic background in Follansbee, just like it is in Clarksburg. Weirton also has many Italian folks. And, you are correct, there are many Scots Irish descendents in the Northern Panhandle just as there are many German ethnics in Huntington. I'm referring to the predominant ethnicities... not in absolute terms.

The northern part of the state has German as the predominant ethnicity which gradually changes to Scots Irish the further south you go. My contention is that traditionally impacted the attitudes of the people in those areas, and even today does to a certain extent. I know this much... my own German ancestors certainly had a different orientation in that regard than did my Scots Irish ones. My Scots Irish ones didn't even like each other very much.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Morgantown doesnt want to be the capital. Where the hell is there even room for a capital? The city is growing fast enough without adding that burden.

Also that march would destroy the southern WV army. The population is old, obese, and out of shape in the south. Within one hour they would be dead and the rest surrounding.

EP can decide if it wants to join the new state of North WV. I imagine they would as they have no love for MD, VA, and PA and North WV would not neglect them like Charleston. Eventually North WV would annex South WV.
Forgive me for laughing. LOL. This is really getting carried away.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
You have it all wrong cry_havoc. See, Tudor/Gino's is headquartered out of Nitro, WV (right next to the old WWII Nitroglycerin plant, coincidence? I think not) which is right in the heart of southern WV. We will survive off Peppi Melts and Big Tator Platters for breakfast and every evening will turn into Two-for-Tuesday specials of Gino's spaghetti. We will eventually strengthen our army up by loading up on carbs and begin a half-million man march to Flatwoods to face our supressors.

While the northern cities are starting to fatten their wallet's the over-competitive folks from NCWV will begin to create tension with the representatives in the EP and NP, as they will try to make Morgantown the new capitol, Wheeling will fight to try to bring it back to their city after losing it to Charleston 1 century earlier. This in turn will lead to the new North West Virginia to break up into 3 smaller states. The original Northern Panhandle renames itself Middlefinger. North Central appropriately names itself Egotopia. And the Eastern Panhandle accidentally cut itself off the crust of the Earth when they tried to build a border fence between Paw Paw and Cacapon Road, local legend has it that Berkeley, Morgan and Jefferson Counties fell into a black hole and were never seen again.
LOL ... I can't stop laughing. This is good.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM

132 posts, read 195,893 times
Well, I would hate to be the outsider instigator of a West Virginian civil war, but I find this very interesting. Just as a matter of speculation, how about Wetzel, Marion, and Monogalia? They seem to identify with a separate northern character as much as the Northern Panhandle does. Were such a change of state possible and imminent, would they want to participate?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
Well, I would hate to be the outsider instigator of a West Virginian civil war, but I find this very interesting. Just as a matter of speculation, how about Wetzel, Marion, and Monogalia? They seem to identify with a separate northern character as much as the Northern Panhandle does. Were such a change of state possible and imminent, would they want to participate?
Yes, everyone Buckhannon and North of it would join in. In fact most southern counties would beg to be let in, but they would be rejected until the North developed to a point it could take on that burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia