Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM

110 posts, read 224,405 times

Advertisements

[quote=Tom Lennox 70;31346429]There IS a noticeable Northern mentality in the government, with the unions and the high level of taxes here. The fact that you have to pay a 6% sales tax to change your vehicle over from out of state upon moving here is ludicrous.

Tom - sales tax on on transferred vehicles was eliminated years ago.
Directly from the WVDMV today -
New Residents must have their vehicles titled and registered within thirty (30) days of establishing residency.
The fees include a $10 title fee, a $5 lien fee if applicable, and a regular registration fee of $30. The titling sales 5% sales tax on a vehicles' value has been eliminated for new residents moving into West Virginia with a vehicle already title in their name in another state. The vehicle has to be in the name of the applicant when they apply for title and will be titled in the same name as the out-of-state title.
More info at:
New Residents

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Hillsand Trees,

Thanks you for this information. So the stupid woman at the Kanawha County Tax Assessors office completely lied to me or never did her research or get updated information. Typical of government workers. And the DMV website is very hard to navigate and its hard to find the locations of the DMV offices from their main webpage. All of my friends who had grown up in Charleston have warned me about the DMV and the incompetence and rudeness of the people who work there. They must have some kind of powerful union along with the people at the tax assessors office. Now I am even more upset at the people at the tax assessors office. That place was a mess and when there were 5 people in line they had 2 people at the window with 3 or 4 other people in the back doing nothing.

Those have been my only negative experience in this state. I also always had issues with government employees in Maryland too except for county employees in Baltimore County cause our county government was always promising cuts to county government and automating things so they knew they better keep their customers happy.

The fact that there is a property tax on vehicles at all is wrong. I've called my state delegate from Sissonville he was very nice and actually answered the phone himself and he's been working hard to have this tax overturned. In the context of this thread I think West Virginia should definitely look to our South and not north for guidance.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hillsand Trees,

Thanks you for this information. So the stupid woman at the Kanawha County Tax Assessors office completely lied to me or never did her research or get updated information. Typical of government workers. And the DMV website is very hard to navigate and its hard to find the locations of the DMV offices from their main webpage. All of my friends who had grown up in Charleston have warned me about the DMV and the incompetence and rudeness of the people who work there. They must have some kind of powerful union along with the people at the tax assessors office. Now I am even more upset at the people at the tax assessors office. That place was a mess and when there were 5 people in line they had 2 people at the window with 3 or 4 other people in the back doing nothing.

Those have been my only negative experience in this state. I also always had issues with government employees in Maryland too except for county employees in Baltimore County cause our county government was always promising cuts to county government and automating things so they knew they better keep their customers happy.

The fact that there is a property tax on vehicles at all is wrong. I've called my state delegate from Sissonville he was very nice and actually answered the phone himself and he's been working hard to have this tax overturned. In the context of this thread I think West Virginia should definitely look to our South and not north for guidance.
It depends, I've had government people here in Louisiana be just as false and ignorant to me as anywhere else.

I don't think the attitude is a north/south thing, I think it's an individual basis. I've met good people everywhere I've been, and bad people too.

In my opinion we should just fire congress entirely and rebuild it from real people who have suffered. THAT would solve some issues.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Personality Map from Time magazine

America's Mood Map: Find Which State Matches Your Personality | TIME.com

I'm not saying I totally agree with this, but this researched map shows dominant personalities in different states and according to it, West Virginia is most similar to the Northeast. Whoever did this research concluded that people here are more like people in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts than people in Tennessee and Mississippi.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
I wouldn't take these surveys very seriously. The same people just a few years ago had Mississippi as #4 most neurotic.

Quote:
Or take a cue from Ted Ownby, who studies Southern culture at the University of Mississippi. His state came up highly neurotic -- and he suspects his neighbors would be proud.

"Here in the home of William Faulkner," Mr. Ownby said, "we take intense, almost perverse neuroticism as a sign of emotional depth."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...11987961064719

personality+map+neuroticism.bmp (image)

The Map Scroll: The Geography of Personality

Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Southern WV is probably a subculture within the Upland South, just like the North also has many subcultures in its more isolated areas. I do think Charleston is more Southern than it is Midwestern or Northeastern, but its not like the lowland South at all. The popular image of the Old South is dominated by antebellum plantations and coastal cities, while the image of the New South is booming cities and suburbs, neither of which really apply to West Virginia.

There IS a climate map group that places West Virginia in the Northeast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ne...ted_States.svg

Geographically I guess its cause the mountainous impact on the climate here, so maybe we get more plants and animals that are more typical of the Northeast?

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 11-12-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
West Virginia was part of the Old South. Plantations ran up and down the Ohio River, there were few home-grown abolitionists. West Virginia was the summer watering hole of the Old South, wealthy planters would take steamboats up the river and land in Guyandotte and Point Pleasant to spend weeks at West Virginia's springs, travelling by coach to Red Sulphur, Blue Sulphur, Old Sweet, White Sulphur Springs and many others now forgotten. Just because there has never been a big picture book of West Virginia's ante-bellum architecture doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The mint julep made its earliest appearance at White Sulphur Springs in 1816, long before it reached Kentucky. Henry Clay haunted the springs of West Virginia which is where he probably first tasted the mint julep. His estate still owes a little money to the Old White on his bar tab. When Lee met with some of his generals after the war they chose White Sulphur Springs. West Virginia maintained a barricade from Wheeling to the Kentucky line before the Civil War, often crossing the Ohio River to beat or kidnap abolitionists who encouraged their slaves to run away. Historians do not promote the image of the Old South for WV because it interferes with their spinning of statehood history.

This is a short list of plantations in WV, it is certainly not complete, many of the old houses have been torn down, like the Harness Plantation in Wood County.

List of Plantations in West Virginia

Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
West.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
West Virginia was part of the Old South. Plantations ran up and down the Ohio River, there were few home-grown abolitionists. West Virginia was the summer watering hole of the Old South, wealthy planters would take steamboats up the river and land in Guyandotte and Point Pleasant to spend weeks at West Virginia's springs, travelling by coach to Red Sulphur, Blue Sulphur, Old Sweet, White Sulphur Springs and many others now forgotten. Just because there has never been a big picture book of West Virginia's ante-bellum architecture doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The mint julep made its earliest appearance at White Sulphur Springs in 1816, long before it reached Kentucky. Henry Clay haunted the springs of West Virginia which is where he probably first tasted the mint julep. His estate still owes a little money to the Old White on his bar tab. When Lee met with some of his generals after the war they chose White Sulphur Springs. West Virginia maintained a barricade from Wheeling to the Kentucky line before the Civil War, often crossing the Ohio River to beat or kidnap abolitionists who encouraged their slaves to run away. Historians do not promote the image of the Old South for WV because it interferes with their spinning of statehood history.

This is a short list of plantations in WV, it is certainly not complete, many of the old houses have been torn down, like the Harness Plantation in Wood County.

List of Plantations in West Virginia
Very well put, and I believe absolutely accurate. There were even large plantations right up next to the PA line such as the Carter plantation in Ohio County. In addition, although it didn't function as a classic plantation, Oglebay estates had almost the identical ambience. Look at the mansion house that now is a museum.

The Oglebay Mansion Museum at Oglebay park, WV - YouTube

and there is Blennerhasset, near Parkersburg... Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park

The home of my great great grandfather, Richard Carter...

http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/ohio/83003248.pdf

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-13-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
McDonald Plantation near Oceana,WV(Crouch's Farm now) in Wyoming County kept slaves and was burned by Union Troops and local partisans in 1862. There is a painting that depicts it that was in one of our history classrooms. McDonald Plantation(Crouch's farm) is pretty much the flattest and best land suitable for farming in Wyoming County, as much of the county is hilly/mountain terrain.

Wyoming County Civil War Days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia