Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM

94 posts, read 181,312 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anybody can clue me in. Long story short....I want to get out of the city, have some land, but still live in a community. I found some nice houses, with 1-2 acres, but do not know anything about schools, people, traffic and access to stores. I have passed through Winfield couple times, but do not know any person living in that area, so have no idea if it would be wise to move to Eleanor or not. My husband and I work in Charleston, and currently living on corridor G. I like it here, but....my kids need more space to run and play outside. We do have nice neighbourhood and the schools are really good...but still thinking of more land and nature.
hopefully somebody will chime in!:-)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Well...I guess nobody really knows anything about this little town!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

180 posts, read 352,270 times
Eleanor, Home to the WV State fair. I think you will get sick of this drive to Charleston real fast. I live right down the road in Poca and i love it here.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 PM

515 posts, read 778,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
Eleanor, Home to the WV State fair. I think you will get sick of this drive to Charleston real fast. I live right down the road in Poca and i love it here.
Ha ha... I think you're mistaken about the WV State Fair being in Eleanor. You probably mean Home to the Putnam County Fair.

I live in Midway, just north of Eleanor and I have 2 daughters that live in Eleanor. I believe it's a very good place to live but the drive to Charleston every day would be tiresome.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM

180 posts, read 352,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Ha ha... I think you're mistaken about the WV State Fair being in Eleanor. You probably mean Home to the Putnam County Fair.

I live in Midway, just north of Eleanor and I have 2 daughters that live in Eleanor. I believe it's a very good place to live but the drive to Charleston every day would be tiresome.
I guess i was thinking of the Putnam Fair. Thats pretty cheesy.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Thanks....I will go and see the properties....but I will definitely keep in mind the time it takes us to drive. We really do not mind driving, but I do agree that it gets to you when you do it day in and day out!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
If possible, drive it during your normal commuting times, instead of, say, Sunday afternoon.

The WV State Fair is in Lewisburg (Greenbrier County). Actually, the fairgrounds are in Fairlea, just south of Lewisburg.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Pinch is a great community just like Eleanor, but is alot closer to Charleston.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM

I have not found any houses for sale in Pinch. I heard about this community since one of my coworkers lives there....and likes it a lot:-), but nothing for sale that fits our lifestyle.As for the commute....my husband will have to drive during early hours, every day, but I work only during the weekend....so a Sunday commute early in am is never bad....no matter how bad the rush hour traffic is. I am more concerned about access to stuff like stores, good schools, physician offices and so on.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 AM

6 posts, read 10,419 times
I have lived in Eleanor since 1989; and, I think it is a wonderful place to live. We have everything here: Churches, Schools, Super Market, Pharmacies, Post Office, Bank, Medical and Dental Offices, Restaurants, Insurance Offices, Discount Stores, Funeral Home, Cemetery -- would not really ever have to leave this little town (could live & die here). However, it is located in PUTNAM COUNTY. If you have and/or care about pets, I would give it great consideration before moving to this County. In 2009, the Putnam County Health Department took it upon themselves to pass their own Rabies Policy. Of the 55 counties in the State of West Virginia, PUTNAM COUNTY is the ONLY county which has this policy. Whether or not your pet has had a rabies vaccination, should your pet bite or nip someone (even yourself, if you see a doctor or medical facility, or if it is reported to the police -- they are required by PUTNAM COUNTY'S LAW to call the Health Department), your pet HAS to be quarantined for 10 days either at the Animal Shelter or an approved Veterinarian facility. It just happened to my pet (a Lab). His rabies vaccination is good until October, 2013. I went to the shelter once to see him. He stood on his hind legs with his front paws against his "cell" gate, like he was begging for our help, and we had to leave without him. I just came home and cried; and, could not go back because it was just too hard for both me and my pet. He could not even be walked. He had to remain in his "cell" the whole time. We were able to bring him home on March 25, 2011. How could the other 54 counties all be wrong. Other counties go by the WV Rabies Manual. Pets can remain at home while quarantined. Putnam County goes by its own policy. It was forced on the citizens -- without any input from them. I didn't even know about it, until our dog had to be taken away. It is my understanding that the policy was written by Jackie Fleshman, current director of the Putnam County Health Department, and was approved by the current Putnam County Commissioner, Joseph Haynes. This was approved on August 25, 2009 (less than two years ago). Board Minutes are Public Documents. Their policy is on file at the Courthouse. Winfield, WV is Putnam County's County Seat. Currently. I am in the process of having petitions signed, hoping to have the PUTNAM COUNTY POLICY rescinded. Anyone can go to Google or Yahoo on the Internet and type in "Rabies Policy in Putnam County, WV", and find a lot of information regarding this.

Last edited by Bkpr123; 04-07-2011 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia