Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 49,144 times

Advertisements

The one and only time I remember visiting my Granddad was while in Bradshaw. I have tried to find references to him, Duff Murr, on Ancestry and a general search on Google plus others with no results.

I know my Granddad worked in the coal mine at the north side of town, I think, where the creek/river ran through between the mine and the road. I do not remember the name of the coal company, not that it matters, but I do remember seeing him in a car coming out of the mouth of the mine. His face was black hardly reconizable his lungs were probably equally as black due to not using breathing protection. He did die of black lung as they called back when in or around 1958.

My step-Grandma's name was Ollie. They had a son named Paul David.

All I recall about the stay was a house with many, many steps leading to the front door on the side of a hill and muddy roads.

My Granddad would get up early and he would drive me around to several businesses bragging about me being his grandson.

I have no pictures or anything other than documented census from the early 1900's that he actually existed. I do know from those documents he and Ollie were married in Tazewell, Tn.

My Granddad was originally married to Mary Ellen Salley from Harlen, Ky who died at childbirth while giving birth to the twins who died the next day. Mary Ellen Salley was my Dad's mother. I also had two uncles, Freddie Gene and James Orben Murr.

If anyone knows of my Granddad's life in Bradshaw, I would very much appreciate any information you have.

Thank you for any help.

Stephen Murr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:47 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,248,501 times
Hi, I don't have any real information other than what I found on the Mormon website.
This I believe is your grandfather-

Quote:
Birth: 14 Apr 1905Marysville, Blount, Tennessee, USADeath: 17 Apr 1958ParentsMarriage(s)Spouse: Mary Ellen Sally Disc #144 Pin #2591163Marriage: 17 Feb 1921
And this is probably your great-uncle James Murr

Quote:
Birth Date:30 Jan 1897 Death Date:Jun 1963 Social Security Number: 233-05-2416 State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: West Virginia Actual Death Residence: Ohio
I use the LDS website for my own family research because it is free and I am cheap.
But these might give you a few hooks to pull in more information elsewhere.
Here's a direct link for the LDS site.

FamilySearch.org - Search

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Bobilee - thank you so much! The information is a lot more than I had before.

Now let's see what else can be found out.

Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:04 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
I figured his first name had to be a nickname, so with Bobilee's info, I went looking for a five year old boy in the same area in the 1910 census.

His name IS Duff.

- Ancestry.com

I'm not sure the link will work, unless you have ancestry.com, too.

His parents names are Guss and Jennie, and he had sisters Dora, Grace, Pearl and Bird.

Hope this helps a little -- happy hunting!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 AM

Tallysmom - thank you for the additional info. I am finding out more and more about my granddad.
Thank you again!

Stephen Murr

Old 07-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Wow! You folks are great. What I have found so far.

Duff Murr -1904/5
Mary Ellen Salley -

Gustavus Murr - 1879
Virginia Stinnette -

Alexander E. Murr - 1858
Eliza Rudd -

Jacob Murr -1783
Nancy Boyd -

Possible John Murr - ?

Possible Michael Murr - 1740 (Potter)

Also possible emigration by my ancestors in the 17th century from a town in Germany called Murr named after the river.

Gus and Jennie had six children, Dewey - 1900, Grace - 1902, Duff - 1904/5, Beryl - 1906, Louise - 1908 and Lee - 1916.

I remember visiting Grace when she lived in Knoxville but at that age didn't really "know" who she was. I did not know about the others or ever meet them.

Thank you both for the information once again.

The Journey Continues

Last edited by smurr; 07-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 30,971 times
HI. I was raised in Bradshaw. My name is James (Jimmie) Carlos Payne. My father was James Elmer Payne, he was married to Jacqueline Ann (Counts) Payne. His brothers were Everette Payne born 1908, William Earl Payne born1910, Elmer was born 1912, Vernor R. Payne born 1914, Oma (Payne), Minter, then Mullins. Their parents were Lewis Howard Payne, and Patricia (Patty) (Mullins) Payne. They also had a 1/2 brother, Everette Mullins that lived on Bradshaw Mountain. I have a brother who still lives there named Larey (Mokie) Payne. A sister, Tawnya Renee (Payne) Day, who now resides in Statesville NC. I have two children who live in Hickory NC, Rebecca Rena Payne, and Joey James Tyson Payne. There were also a group of Paynes that lived down the road from us, Junior and I think Armanda Payne. Their children, James Payne, Deaceased, shot in a poker game with Walter (Lil Bub Graham, At Walter Blankenships Club by Donald Ray Mullins, And his father Raymond Mullins, who jame;s brother later shot in retaliation. He served 10 years I believe. Roger Payne, Emory Keith Payne, Barbra Payne, and Cathy (Payne) Oquin. Roger was shot and killed by Emory whithin the last couple of year. Their fathers brother was Harvey Payne. I'm not sure whether there were any more children. I believe Harvey had a son named Raymond, and Raymond had a daughter. I don't know if there was any more children. I know she owns a lot of properyty around there. Further up the road was Eddie Payne, don't remember his wifes name, I know he had a son named Jimmy Payne, and a daughter named Lisa Payne. A little further up the road was Bus Payne, he owened Saveway store, I know he had a son named David, and a brother named Bear Payne. Then down the road up bee branch holler was Claude Payne,Children named Tommy, James Frankie, Hubert, Eddie, Charlene,and Donna. I also went to school with a Clifford Payne of of Rock Ridge. Then there was Will Payne, He had a gang of children, then down at Garland 6 miles from Bradshaw, there was Basil Payne, children Dennis, my ex brother-in-law, Raymond, and another boy and girl. Then up on top of Beartown holler Jimmy Payne, And I know of another group but the only one I remember was James Payne.There was some more I remember my father telling me about over the years but its been so long I don't remember.Theres also a unincorparated town up Bradshaw Mountain called Paynes'ville. Hope this has helped you some or give you some information on ypour relatives.Email me at [email]jamescarlos1962@mail.com[/email]. Theres a lot of wonderful people up there in those hills, I miss them, Take me home country roads!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM

I can't tell you any thing about the Murrs. but I believe the mine may have been in Beartown, there was a coal tipple there as you went toward Iaeger about 6 miles out of Bradshaw. The mines were up in Beartown, There are also some mines at Oosley Branch Rd, Bartley, There was a explosion there once where a lot of miners were killed. Also where my family some of the Paynes lived outside of Stringtown if you cut across the creek there are mines at the top of the mountain where Bill Kennedy lived, he had about 17 or so children or so and back then as I remember he had about 36 grandchildren. There used to be a company store in Bradshaw from the Island creek coal company. There were mines at Caretta, Coalwood,Gary, Bradshaw mountain,Bishop,Litwar, Warriormines. That's all I can remember. I'll ask my cousin if she remembers she was a teenager back then. Email me at [email]jamescarlos1962@mail.com[/email]

Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Also there were some Paynes that lived across the creek and up on the side of the mountain, one was myn Uncle Jesse Jack Payne,He had a brother named Cecil who used to take me for rides in the early 70's in a Modei A Ford. That was right before you get into Bradshaw where they lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia