Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,625,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Bingo! It's surrounded by ghetto. Lets not beat around the bush here - it is what it is. I know people in my family that would no longer go there. The last time I was in there, with my wife, (a few yrs ago) it was uncomfortable. We were like THE only white people in there.
Obviously Target seems to differ with your opinion, they razed the old Target across Palm Beach Lakes and built a real nice urban style store in the same location, WPB also has a police sub station located on the ground floor to keep whitey happy. Quite the investment for the Ghetto don't you think? Do black people scare you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 9,034,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Obviously Target seems to differ with your opinion, they razed the old Target across Palm Beach Lakes and built a real nice urban style store in the same location, WPB also has a police sub station located on the ground floor to keep whitey happy. Quite the investment for the Ghetto don't you think? Do black people scare you?
Now that tells you something, doesnt it? Do black people scare me? No, but it is strange to be in a crowded mall and be the only white couple in it. If you're telling me you wouldnt feel uncomfortable if you were in our shoes, I'd think you were fibbing a little bit.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,572,932 times
Quote:
Bingo! It's surrounded by ghetto. Lets not beat around the bush here - it is what it is. I know people in my family that would no longer go there. The last time I was in there, with my wife, (a few yrs ago) it was uncomfortable. We were like THE only white people in there.
But no, because it was surrounded by the same neighborhood back in the early 2000s as well and the mall was doing better.

The mall property immediately abuts the President's Country Club, which is where Hank Aaron and the mayor live. Then, on the other side of 95 is the Villages area, which is a good area, and also home of Bear Lakes Country Club.

Now, down the road up Congress and down Palm Beach Lakes is a depressed area, but there are also many office towers and the Jehova's Kingdom Hall in the immediate area, which draws in tons of people to the area every day. You have to offer those people something to shop there.

If you go to the new Target right across from PBM (very nice, btw), the difference is amazing from PBM's last couple of years. The area also has a Brandsmart and Best Buy, which attract all demographics.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 AM

10 posts, read 21,867 times
ComSense...have you visit other countries? It looks like you can never go around the world...the color of your skin or the way you look does NOT make you more civilized than others...and I am sorry to say to you...I am white like you and I do live at the area...and we have a lots of great african americans neighbors that work hard like anybodyelse and they are more polite and civilized than many WHITE people that thinks like you...It too sad to know that you really create your own reality about people. By the way...the article was about the Palm Beach Lakes mall...something it will turns this neigborhood around because there are a lots of people that still believe in this area and care enough about the real estate. Nothing personal about you...but this is the reality about this area...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcraft View Post
ComSense...have you visit other countries? It looks like you can never go around the world...the color of your skin or the way you look does NOT make you more civilized than others...and I am sorry to say to you...I am white like you and I do live at the area...and we have a lots of great african americans neighbors that work hard like anybodyelse and they are more polite and civilized than many WHITE people that thinks like you...It too sad to know that you really create your own reality about people. By the way...the article was about the Palm Beach Lakes mall...something it will turns this neigborhood around because there are a lots of people that still believe in this area and care enough about the real estate. Nothing personal about you...but this is the reality about this area...
I hope it turns around for you guys in the area. No, I havent visited other countries, I live in Orlando. But seriously, me not wanting to go to a mall where we were the only white couple doesnt make me a bad person, and I think most people would feel the same way we did - they just might not want to share that info.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 AM

8,377 posts, read 31,052,579 times
Quote:
I hope it turns around for you guys in the area. No, I havent visited other countries, I live in Orlando. But seriously, me not wanting to go to a mall where we were the only white couple doesnt make me a bad person, and I think most people would feel the same way we did - they just might not want to share that info.
You should visit the Kmart store in Davie or Hollywood where you will have majority white crowds, then visit Supertarget in Miramar where you might be the only "white" person (by your definition) and tell me which is more "ghetto". Not meaning to stray off topic by suggesting examples in a different county, but just saying that maybe you would feel more comfortable at that store if you didn't have preconceived notions . I'm not as street-level familiar with PBC so I can't help as much, but it's about class level...and not necessarily financial class level either.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hollyw...245.44,,0,4.54

Majority white neighborhood

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hollyw...2,73.85,,0,0.8

Majority hispanic/black neighborhood

Which one looks better to you? I know I'm not using PBC as a very extreme example but just trying to prove a point. While there are certain realities that do tend to be prevalent in some communities, we shouldn't go out there living them and assuming because there are just too many exceptions. I know there are plenty of black people in that area around PBL that aren't going to steal from you, and while I'm not a huge fan of that area, there really isn't anything to be scared of in the Target store, at least not any more so than any other. Yes, it's a reality that there are a lot of "ghetto" areas to the east of the mall, but they were just as bad in the heyday of the Palm Beach Mall, and maybe even worse. It's nothing "new", although your view of it may be.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-06-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM

The one in Miramar looks better. Actually, the one in Davie just looks like old school FL to me. Not as nice as the other, but the age of the homes, the landscape, everything is different, but that doesnt mean it's safer. You know very well that the appearance of a neighborhood isnt everything. Just look at the area I'm in. New construction, cosmetically it looks good for the most part, except for the forclosed homes, etc... There's a little town called Bithlo that is like the areas punching bag, as it is lower class, majority white, lots of trailers, etc... But our zip code where I live (32828) accounts for more of Orange County's crime than does Bithlo.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 31,052,579 times
Quote:
The one in Miramar looks better. Actually, the one in Davie just looks like old school FL to me. Not as nice as the other, but the age of the homes, the landscape, everything is different, but that doesnt mean it's safer. You know very well that the appearance of a neighborhood isnt everything. Just look at the area I'm in. New construction, cosmetically it looks good for the most part, except for the forclosed homes, etc... There's a little town called Bithlo that is like the areas punching bag, as it is lower class, majority white, lots of trailers, etc... But our zip code where I live (32828) accounts for more of Orange County's crime than does Bithlo.
That neighborhood was actually in Hollywood, and that neighborhood is TEEMING with crackheads, bums, and all sorts of creepy characters. Muggings aren't uncommon, and burglaries are almost expected. There are also quite a few prostitutes, and it's pretty close to the shady US1 corridor where there is a lot of drug dealing and prostitution. It's also at least (approximately) 60+% white with minimal black population. The one in Miramar is at least 30% black and probably only around 30% "Anglo" tops, and might, at worst, get hit up by a burglar that lives outside of the neighborhood every once in a while, and you will see mostly people walking their dogs, women jogging alone, etc, signs of safe neighborhood. Do you see that there is a cops car in one of the driveways? Cops don't live in unsafe neighborhoods. It's just that a lot of these people out living their lives happened darker skinned, and a lot of the creepy characters in the Hollywood neighborhood happen to be "Anglo". Would you be more scared of a black guy walking his dog then a white guy asking you for money to buy alcohol? Judging by your "experience" in the Target store, this is what I gather.

Again, no need to have any preconceived notions about non-WASP people.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-06-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 21,867 times
ComSense I have lived in Orlando as well, and I have the opportunity to visite and live in many different countries because of my career and it does not give me the rigth to say less about you.However, I just think your comment was too negative, and I just wonder if anyone at that mall have disrespected you so much, for you to take the time to write online something so negative about a race, that's all. I don't think you were fair, mainly knowing that you are not from the area. It is very commun to see in US group of communities, spanish, brazilians, mexicans, haitians, etc,located in specific neighborhoods or states and it does not mean that because you are an white or black american you would not be welcome on their neighborhood. I would like to suggest you to be more open minded to people that may look, talk and act different than you. You might be able to experience life in very different exciting ways. I don't believe you are a bad person, I just think you didn't express yourself in a positive way.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 PM

If I feel kind of "strange" being the only white couple in a crowded mall, and the place just so happens to be in a "not-so-good" area, then it's easy to see why I felt out of place. Nothing against you rcraft, but I think I think just like any other person who would have the same experience. Maybe they wouldnt admit to it, but it is what it is. There are a lot of better, safer places to shop than that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach