Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 43,332 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving from Atlanta to south FL in a few months. My husband's office will be in Deerfield Beach, my 5 year old will go to North Broward Prep in Coconut Creek, and my 3 year old will go to the Baudhuin Autism school at Nova University in Davie. I'm thankfully a stay-at-home mom since it seems that we will be spread out all over the place down there! We are trying to decide where to buy a house and I think we have narrowed it down to Parkland or Coral SPrings. I like Parkland since everything seems newer and more family oriented, and the schools are good, and I love the YMCA recreational area there for the kids. (We visited the area a couple of months ago). My husband is leaning toward COral SPrings though, because it is more "established" of an area (i.e. more shops, restaurants, etc.) and the home prices are lower. Also closer I think to where the boys will be in school. Does anyone have any other pros or cons of these 2 areas?? HELP!!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
May want to ask in the Fort Lauderdale section, probably get a better response.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I agree with Sky Amy, but I have done tons of research on this. Parkland is a little more upscale, but I think a little more uptight as well - if that is for you, then I think this is the better of the 2. I like Coral Springs a little better personally, I felt things felt a little more real.

Now, Davie, Cooper City and Weston are all beautiful places as well! Weston being equivalent to Parkland and Cooper city Equivalent to Coral Springs - all places have really good schools. My question to you is where will your husband work and why is your 5 yearold going to a school in an area that you don't live in at all?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Sorry I see your husband will be in Deerfield. Coral Springs will be your best bet as far as a commute, however I don't think coming from Cooper City or Weston would be bad either and I am sure that Weton and cooper City both have excellent private or prep schools for your oldest child.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Cooper City is a step up from Springs as far as "family areas" go, although it's a LOT quieter in terms of shopping. Cooper City is more like Parkland except more working class and a tighter sense of community (almost small town like). I would compare Coral Springs more to Pembroke Pines, with the main difference being that Pines has a better mall and wider/newer streets. Still, it makes little sense to live that far south, because North Broward Prep is in Coconut Creek. A good, solid halfway point to look into would be Plantation, anything west of the turnpike. The public schools suck, but it doesn't matter because your kids won't be going to them, so you wouldn't have to pay for them in elevated housing cost. Plantation has a lot of shade trees, nice parks, and a decent location thats more of a halfway point between the two schools than Parkland. Coral Springs can also make a decent halfway point at some places, although I would definitely stay west of University Drive. The main advantage to living south of Coconut Creek and closer to Davie (Plantation) is that you would have a reverse commute to Coconut Creek each morning, versus heading south into Davie from Coral Springs. Traffic isn't usually too bad heading south on the Turnpike, but an accident can change that very quickly.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-28-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Your right compelled but I had already compared Parkland to Weston so, I did want to show there was a difference. Personally, I like cooper city for all the reason's you mentioned, but I feel like Springs looks newer and more updated.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Your right compelled but I had already compared Parkland to Weston so, I did want to show there was a difference. Personally, I like cooper city for all the reason's you mentioned, but I feel like Springs looks newer and more updated.
Both cities were mostly built up in the 80s but Cooper City does have a few of the 1960s ranch style homes like you would see in Margate or east Pembroke Pines. Overall Cooper City has it's own feel (and there is something to be said for that in west Broward), and Coral Springs tried to take cues from Boca, although the far western communities in Coral Springs basically look identical to Pembroke Pines or any other newer South Florida suburb, and a few parts actually look kind of rough (north Riverside Dr area). Cooper City doesn't really have any rough parts except for a block across from Pioneer Middle School, and theres a street in Flamingo Gardens east where I saw a house with burglar bars. All and all, Cooper City is more comparable in cleanliness to Parkland than Springs IMO.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-28-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Thanks that is good to know!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Living in Cooper City would also put them closer to the Baudhuin School. Are you dead set on your 5 year old going to North Broward Prep? If not, you can also look into the University School (same campus as Baudhuin) or even American Heritage in Plantation.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 17,698 times
If I were paying tuition to North Broward Prep, I'd choose one of the more economical towns, like north Coconut Creek. You'll get the same amt. of house you would in Parkland for probably $100 to $150K less. The only reason I'd choose Parkland or Boca would be for the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach