Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 PM

33 posts, read 78,831 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband & I are young professionals who will be starting a family in the next few years. I'm from a very liberal, beautiful but cold city in Minnesota, and that's where we're living now. My husband wants to move to Florida and I want to see if I can find a place with the right fit. Please help! I heard that Delray Beach may have some of what we're looking for and that it's 60% democrats. Is this true?? Here's what we're looking for:

"Walkability" -- ie, We dislike strip malls, suburban type areas, and anything where you don't have a nice outdoorsy place or urban area to walk around in or go to restaurants, libraries, museums, etc
Affordable housing (we're trying for under $250,000)
Family friendly
Environmentally friendly
Mild weather
Hills... I don't like completely flat areas
Liberal attitude
A large body of water nearby, the ocean, a river, lakes, anything really.
Lots of green space and parks

To give you an idea, we lived in Portland, OR and St. Louis, MO for school and were happy with both of these cities as far as liberal attitude, walkability, hills, bodies of water, and affordability are concerned. I work in Medicine and he works in Physical Therapy and so we would also need a place with job opportunities in these fields.

Does Delray Beach meet any of these criteria? Any other suggestions? I'm very grateful for any info from anyone who knows a lot about this area so I can get an idea of whether not we should come visit to check it out for ourselves. Thanks!

A--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,617,133 times
"Walkability" -- ie, We dislike strip malls, suburban type areas, and anything where you don't have a nice outdoorsy place or urban area to walk around in or go to restaurants, libraries, museums, etc

Then you should look at the city of WPB or Miami Beach. Delray has a small downtown, but it's anything but urban. You have to drive here.

You can find housing here at that price, but your looking at a condo near the beach or in the urban areas.

Family friendly

Delray, not known for this but people have kids and do things like anyplace else.

Environmentally friendly

Yes we recycle

Mild weather

Only from Late Oct (typically) through April or so we can California'ish weather, it's also "Season" which means more people and traffic along with longer waits at restaurants, less parking spaces and etc. Our summers are hot and humid but we have the breeze and the ocean so close which really helps.

Hmmm?? Ever been to Florida? You may find some small hills in Central Florida and to the North. South Florida errr Flat.

Liberal attitude

Palm Beach County is basically a Democrat county, went Democrat in the last two Presidential elections...2000 errr you can read about it!

Plenty of that.

Delray not really they have some parks but not much compared to other areas or should say as big but they have them.

Delray is a mixed bag, it has a nice downtown and beach, but also has some dumpy areas with crime. The people are a mix of old and young, a lot of retirees and senior citizens, predominantly from New York & New Jersey. Fairly large Jewish population, but Boca has more.

It appears you never been here? I would suggest visiting and keep in mind you will be vacationing so don't jump the gun too quick, ie living here vs vacationing is two different things.

As well, not sure what your professions are, some people do good here others struggle. I would do your homework, sit down and decide if you can afford to live here, you may have to make compromises.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 27,151 times
Default Delray

I love Delray. It is more residential in feel, not so trendy. It has a great down town area and beach. Yes, there are crime areas, but they are contained to very specific areas and welcome to FLA, that is the way it is. High population, there does tend to be crime. The areas to avoid are primarily around Old Dixie Hwy. Towards the west it is very residential with lots of senior areas as well as family friendly. Downtown is pricy. Most of the condos are second homes by the way, so if you are thinking condo, the deals are great as people try to consolidate because of the economy. Everything is really local, 10 mins to anything you need. 4 major malls within 10-20 mins drive. Do you homework and you won't be sorry about Delray.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:50 AM

15 posts, read 57,135 times
You are only going to get the "walkability" factor in the Palm Beach County downtown (East) areas. Of these Delray Beach probably has most of what you are looking for but housing prices will be higher near downtown and properties will be older. Also, if you are planning to live near the downtown areas you may have issues with the public schools. It depends on your priorities - If you
value the downtown feel the most and can pay for private schools - East Delray Beach would fit the bill. If you value getting the best bang for your buck, family friendly, and good public schools then look in West Boca Raton (just south of Delray) or West Boynton Beach (just north of Delray). West Delray itself for the most part is retirees.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
PGQ

5 posts, read 52,463 times
You definitely need to visit Palm Beach County and explore the area. Many people love it while others end up returning North. Delray has some truly stunning areas and some drug infested areas within a five minute drive.
In Delray expect flat land, easy access to the ocean, liberal attitudes but not a mecca of liberal thought, more of a suburban feel than small town or city, lots of green space but not necessarily well kempt, large Haitian population, warm weather. If you want to work in health care there is a great demand but also a great supply of labor. Don't think of Delray as a self-contained city. The border between Delray and Boca Raton is simply a sign and Boynton borders on the North. In Delray you can find million dollar mansions and also find single family houses for $150k (you could get something for less than $100k if you want a fixer upper) but you get what you pay for. Visit before you make any decisions or you may regret it.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
vjm

32 posts, read 132,065 times
I lived in Delray for the past summer and could not wait to get out. Just not my scene. You might want to take a look at the College Park area of Lake Worth, as well as everything below it and east of Dixie. Much more organic downtown area and much better feel.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 38,088 times
The area is beautiful but the people are *******s. Seriously. If you come from a friendly place, the people here will disgust you. Unfortunate, since it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived. It's NY/NJ of the south...except the people are actually nicer there! But if you have FL fever, you won't rest until you experience it. And like the post above states, to vacation here vs. living are two very different animals. I came to FL every year for years and my dream was to move here to be near the beach year round...I finally did it this past Sept. and have struggled ever since. I don't regret living in an absolutely gorgeous area, everywhere you look is a postcard, but the lifestyle, working 10 hours a day (incl. commute, etc) is not what I was expecting. But you don't know those things until you are here. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but coming here on vacation or living is worlds apart. I will prob stay in FL but not in this area b/c I cannot stand nasty, rude people. I've heard the gulf coast has a larger midwest population, so I may go check it out when my lease expires. If you have lots of $$$ and dont give a rats about anyone but yourself and like to party, you'll love it here. If you are a fairly decent person/family, are kind (even a little), friendly and want real friends and appreciate the little things, another location may better suit you. That's just my nickel. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,313,207 times
yes

Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,075,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielE View Post
Hello,
My husband & I are young professionals who will be starting a family in the next few years. I'm from a very liberal, beautiful but cold city in Minnesota, and that's where we're living now. My husband wants to move to Florida and I want to see if I can find a place with the right fit. Please help! I heard that Delray Beach may have some of what we're looking for and that it's 60% democrats. Is this true?? Here's what we're looking for:

Family friendly
Environmentally friendly
Mild weather
Liberal attitude

To give you an idea, we lived in Portland, OR and St. Louis, MO for school and were happy with both of these cities as far as liberal attitude, walkability, hills, bodies of water, and affordability are concerned. I work in Medicine and he works in Physical Therapy and so we would also need a place with job opportunities in these fields.

Does Delray Beach meet any of these criteria? Any other suggestions? I'm very grateful for any info from anyone who knows a lot about this area so I can get an idea of whether not we should come visit to check it out for ourselves. Thanks!

A--
I love how these so called open minded liberals are so open minded they have to make sure they live nowhere near a person who may have conservative viewpoints.

I find it interesting that my wife and I are staunch conservatives but we have lived in both conservative and liberal areas and appreciate both. Currently we live in a liberal area of PB county. And we have no problems with any of the people who may have different viewpoints then we do. In other words we can handle and appreciate the diversity of viewpoints.

What are you going to do if you find out your neighbor is a Republican?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM

159 posts, read 462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstratton View Post
The area is beautiful but the people are *******s. Seriously. If you come from a friendly place, the people here will disgust you. Unfortunate, since it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived. It's NY/NJ of the south...except the people are actually nicer there! But if you have FL fever, you won't rest until you experience it. And like the post above states, to vacation here vs. living are two very different animals. I came to FL every year for years and my dream was to move here to be near the beach year round...I finally did it this past Sept. and have struggled ever since. I don't regret living in an absolutely gorgeous area, everywhere you look is a postcard, but the lifestyle, working 10 hours a day (incl. commute, etc) is not what I was expecting. But you don't know those things until you are here. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but coming here on vacation or living is worlds apart. I will prob stay in FL but not in this area b/c I cannot stand nasty, rude people. I've heard the gulf coast has a larger midwest population, so I may go check it out when my lease expires. If you have lots of $$$ and dont give a rats about anyone but yourself and like to party, you'll love it here. If you are a fairly decent person/family, are kind (even a little), friendly and want real friends and appreciate the little things, another location may better suit you. That's just my nickel. Good luck!
I live in Fort Myers and everyone is very friendly there! It is amazing to me how nice everyone is, I am from Indiana and people here are always speaking and waving and I was really surprised because all I heard before I got here was how rude everyone is. The pay is much less on gulf side but cost of living is as well. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach