Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 795,702 times

Advertisements

Of course i dont go in looking like i came off the street lol. I shave, where a nice button up shirt, slacks, dress shoes. I've gone to many places, lowes, ace hardware, footlocker, champs, pac sun, pretty much anywhere you can think of that hires teenagers with little experience. I just don't understand why i can't land anything, its really frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,468,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
Of course i dont go in looking like i came off the street lol. I shave, where a nice button up shirt, slacks, dress shoes. I've gone to many places, lowes, ace hardware, footlocker, champs, pac sun, pretty much anywhere you can think of that hires teenagers with little experience. I just don't understand why i can't land anything, its really frustrating.
I know it must be hard, but people are hiring. A friend of a friend just got hired at Publix. Check out some of the Cityplace shops as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM

207 posts, read 1,037,126 times
You could learn some internet programming or computer skills at home and try to get a job in that field. Pay is usually good, you may be able to work from home, and you will probably not run into a lot of minorities doing the hiring.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 26,241 times
how old are you Manny? maybe they're looking for young people.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,550,712 times
Quote:
but why wont minorities hire white people?! ive been looking for a job for upwards of a year now and can't get anything. I've had interviews at MCDONALDS and TACO BELL and havent gotten hired. Both interviews were held by Haitian women. Apparently if you have a social security number you can't get a job in this county anymore. I have experience in Masonry(which pays 3 times what McDonalds does) but there isn't much work anymore and the work there is goes to Subcontractors who employ illegal immigrants which do work that an actual citizen will do for 1/3 the price. I used to get paid 20 bucks an hour as a labor, illegal immigrants will do it for 7 bucks an hour. Idk maybe this is just me but i feel as tho i have to darken my skin and change my last name to St. Pierre or something so i can get a freakin job.

Perhaps...Florida is always a state made for employers and no for workers..

Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,110,679 times
The OP is doing what minorities have been criticized for doing for years.....blaming others for his problems and whining instead of manning up and pressing on.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,008,526 times
Yeah, I'm white and I dont complain that you cant find a job because you are white, and I hate that no more or less than i hate black people who complain they are discriminated against. It is all excuses. But at the same time, I understand your frustration, but times are tough for everyone in this country and nobody is having an easy time. Things will turn around just keep your eyes open for a job.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:11 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,845,177 times
Your feeling that a Haitian manager won't hire you is really no different than a white manager hiring people that look like them. Is is racism? Yes and no.

It takes a very secure person to hire someone that is very different from them (age, color, sex, etc). And they also have to think about how that person will fit in with the workforce they already have.
The person hiring also has a concern that the new person could take THEIR job so they may hire people who are less threatening: younger, less dominant, etc. Lets face it there is also "ageism" in employment as well as racism.

Racism exists as well as a lot of other "isms". Don't complain about it just deal with it. And don't get bummed about not being able to get minimum wage job at McD's. Those people there are aware that lots of better qualified people now want THEIR jobs and they are afraid of losing the little they have.
Maybe you looked like someone who did them a bad turn in their past.

If you have actual skills as a mason you are miles ahead and you probably have other skills too. Find a way to use them to make money. Self-employment isn't for everyone but it's better than nothing.
Good luck, it's tough everywhere.

You have a right to complain but don't blame the poor workers at fast-food. They are hurting too. My local BKing has 75 year olds working the counter and not because they want to get out of the house.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:02 AM

328 posts, read 888,023 times
Quote:
Well life is definately rough for my white family. My mom and dad each work 50+ hours a week and we still cant make ends meet. My mom has a masters degree and still only makes 30k a year. My dad has taken a second job at the night shift at home depot. Which btw he works with 2 other men who are both haitian and he tells me everyday how they go and hide out in the store to avoid doing work and he tells his boss but they cant fire them because they're minorities. I would work 10 times harder then those guys but icant get the opportunity because they're minorities?! Thats total BS in my book. And yes the taco bell by myhouse is still hiring, even tho i had an interview and DIDN'T GET HIRED. The Mcdonalds i had an interview at was hiring, and I think im perfectly capable of doing whats asked of me at McDonalds. But again, go and look at most of these fast food places, everyone is haitian, i mean everyone is haitian. I think one gets a job as the manager and then hires the rest of their family so they can pay rent on the one house they all live in. Thats just my opinion.
Again, people who are not white in american deals with this everyday. Why is it news when it happens to you? WORK IT OUT!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,468,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner35 View Post
Again, people who are not white in american deals with this everyday. Why is it news when it happens to you? WORK IT OUT!
As long as you take a similar approach ("work it out!") when "non-whites" experience apparent discrimination, then your advice is sound. However, discrimination, if it's occurring is WRONG in EVERY instance.

To say, "well, now you know what non-whites feel like" isn't particularly helpful, doesn't make what's going on "right," and offers nothing constructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach