Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 AM

16 posts, read 57,152 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Jupiter (Abacoa area) in June of this year. We are looking for a four bedroom home to rent as I have not sold my home here in NJ and probably won't for awhile. I have seen few homes for rent on realtor.com, rental.com, craigslist.com, and the local online newspaper.

Can anyone tell me how people from Jupiter advertise their home for rent. Here, we use the local newspaper never the MLS with a realtor. I have called a few realtors there and was somewhat snubbed because I was not in the market to buy now (just rent). I explained that we would be buying in two years and most likely buy the home that we were renting if it was available. I was also told that I am looking too early. I don't feel so. I would be signing a contract in May to rent June 1st. May is a week and a half away.

Any information would be helpful. I am not sure if a townhome would be right for us so I haven't looked into that yet. We have four children 3-10 and one small dog. I looked in the Martinique and New Haven area so far and well, that's where the snub came in.

Thanks in advance!
Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,936,783 times
I suggest you see if you can find apartments with short term leases. You can store your stuff that you don't need to use right away.

Down in Broward when I was looking a perfectly fine apartment complex does short term.

Here's one I found real quick on google.

Three months of "inconvenience" is so much better than one year of nightmare, IMO.

Of course the primary issue is the schools which I can't really help you with, but I am a PRO at relocating from up North to Fla LOL.

Vintage at Abacoa Apartments For Rent in Jupiter, Florida - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

ETA: actually you could take a short term rental ANYWHERE if it's just for the summer since there's no school, even downtown WPB (or Palm Beach Gardens) which is really fun and convenient. Then you could spend all summer finding just the right place.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM

17 posts, read 66,404 times
We actually just leased our 4 bed home in New Haven. I can tell you the name of the best realtor in the area who also does rentals (just rented out our home) - Amy Simmonds with Keller Williams 561-691-1990. She is wonderful and very helpful. FYI - Abacoa (at least New Haven) has minimum of 12 month lease terms on homes per the HOA rules. You don't want Vintage - it is an apartment complex with a bunch of FAU students.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 PM

I think I know your home, mhd25!! It is on Sweet Bay Circle. I called Amy and sent her an email concerning the home and she never responded. That was last month. Even though we won't be down there until June I would have rented it in April!! I love the New Haven area. All victorian homes. It seems nice and quiet.We are looking at another home in Tuscany tomorrow. Actually I have someone looking at it for me. I am in NJ. There is not much available as far as rentals. I just need a year or poss. two then I will buy a home. I have a home here in NJ I need to sell first. I am going to expand my search to some of the townhomes. I saw one on Dakota she is going to look at as well. We'll see. Here, most people put their lisings in the local paper without a realtor. I had a home I rented out for years and we listed it in the paper if it was available. I did all of the checks myself and had an attorney review the lease. In the end it saved me money and was easy. I checked online with the Palm Beach Post but the rentals are the same as listed with Realtor.com. Is there another newspaper that is more popular that you know?It sure is a small world!!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 AM

That was our house. I'm sorry Amy didn't call you back, but it was rented within 2 days of being listed by a neighbor who was already renting on the street over. A realtor is the best way to go in finding a rental down there. If the PB Post doesn't have it, then none of the others would - it is really the most popular. Only other one I can think of to try is the Jupiter Courier.

Dakota would be fine to rent on, but to buy I really cannot say enough about New Haven - I am so sad to leave and would move back tomorrow if I could. Our house will be for sale in 18 months :-) Seriously though, it is such a "neighborhood" - you really meet and come to know all your neighbors. And has wonderful lower schools (K-8). The better high school is actually Jupiter High though.

I would rent, but then don't limit buying to your rental. Take the year or two and really get to know the neighborhoods and find the right one. Let me know if you have more questions, hope this helps a little.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM

I will keep you in mind 18 months from now. It is a beautiful home and a nice piece of property. I wouldn't buy a townhome but I would rent one to save money and give me time to look around. We like the New Haven area so most likely we will buy there. I even looked up the New Haven homes for sale on Trulia.com and called a few to see if they would rent for a year or two with first option to buy. Most need to sell now and a few are in preforeclosure or short sale. There is one down the road from you that is identical to yours on the outside. There is nothing special on the inside, no upgrades. I contacted them but they are in preforeclosure and the mortgage is higher than what the rent should be. I love the Abacoa area. It is very relaxing to me and the people are very calm and down to earth. Where I am at now is "keep up with the Jones or we will call you out". It is terrible. They miss the point of life, in my opinion. The rich kids have nothing to do but drugs bought with mom and dad's money and the parents are too busy building bigger and better than their neighbor.

Well, today I have a realtor looking at a home on Community Dr in Tuscany. I don't know how I feel about them renting out the loft above the garage, though. I don't know if I will have a safely issue in the future or just feel uncomfortable. The place on Dakota is a townhome. She will look at that as well. I owe her big. I have her running around Abacoa taking pictures for me. I have a relocator with the hospital but she has not been that useful. This realtor is much better and I definately will use her when I purchase a home.

I will try the Jupiter Courier as well. Thanks for the imput. I appreciate your response.

Vicki

Old 05-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Might try 227 Sweet Bay or 320 Marlberry - both are in New Haven, 3 beds, and over 2000 sf. I don't know the condition of the inside of either, but the layout would be decent for a rental. I am bias to New Haven A (north, the Sweet Bay Circle area) obviously, but the south/Marlberry Circle area is nice too. It is a few years newer, so you don't have the canopied streets yet like A. However, it is bigger and they have a few more models in the section with more 5 bedroom homes. One area you might check out strickley for renting - would not buy in there - is Evergrene (considered Palm Beach Gardens, but just south of Abacoa). They have a really fun resort like pool area and lake with a little beach, fun. HOA is a mess though, so I wouldn't buy into it.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM

162 posts, read 680,758 times
I currently live in New Haven (Marlberry Circle), we're "Southsiders".. Been there almost two years and love it. Kid friendly, neighbors are nice, very quiet...It's also close enough to take advantage of downtown Abacoa (15 to 20 minute walk to Roger Dean stadium).

Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM

207 posts, read 1,036,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd25 View Post
One area you might check out strickley for renting - would not buy in there - is Evergrene (considered Palm Beach Gardens, but just south of Abacoa). They have a really fun resort like pool area and lake with a little beach, fun. HOA is a mess though, so I wouldn't buy into it.
Can you please expand on this? What is a "mess" exactly? I know HOA fees are high, but are they being put to legitimate use for the benefit of all, or is it because owners are being forced to pay for problems left over by the developer, foreclosures, or what?

My wife and I are thinking of making a move to the area, and really like the look of Evergrene and the style and size of homes, but I am having a hard time finding negatives except high HOA fees. What else is wrong? What problems are specific to Evergrene that other neighborhoods don't have? Foreclosures, short sales, etc., seem to be up everywhere. I would be more concerned if there was evidence of poor construction or infrastructure problems beyond the norm with evidence to back it up. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM

flguy123 - I would speak to a realtor familiar with the subdivision and the HOA directly to get all the specifics. However, we have some friends who live in Evergrene, so I know enough about the situation to strongly urge anyone interested in the development to "interview" the HOA and look at their financials.

Because of the resort like area they have, they obviously have a higher HOA, and should - that is not the issue. The problem is that there are a lot of pre-foreclosures and residents not paying their share. Well, the community still has bills to pay, so they just had a large special assessment imposed on the residents. I don't remember the exact amount, but I believe it was around $2000 (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken on the amount). If they continue to have income problems I would assume they will either 1) cut some amenities/services currently covered by the HOA, 2) up the HOA fees, or 3) have future special assessments.

There was some talk about the quality of construction being iffy when we were buying in the area 4 years ago. However, I haven't heard any real accounts of bad infrastructure or poor construction, so they are probably fine. You'll get a feel for the quality just by being in the house and seeing the materials used.

Like I said, you really should look hard at the balance sheet and ask questions. We just bought a condo for my mother in law and found out a month later that there was a yearly special assessment because the HOA had to take out a loan a few years ago. You don't want any surprises.

Hope that helps explain a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach