Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 08:47 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies2023 View Post
Most have substantial income, investments to live quite well but cannot SHOW a paystub. Aside from airbnb, what would one do?
How? A landlord -- a good one -- will run a (comprehensive) credit and background check. They may ask for financial statements, the first two pages and/or schedules from a tax return, and so on and so on. It is not difficult to establish income for a retiree. No different than a bank would do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Retirees (like me) show landlords copies of their 1099-INT (interest income), 1099-DIV (dividend income), 1099-R (retirement income including corporate pensions, 401K distributions and IRA distributions) and SSA-1099 (social security benefits statement) form.

All of these are official forms that are issued annually to both the individual recipient of the income and to the IRS by financial institutions, corporations that pay pensions and by the social security administration. I am a retiree and this is how I prove my income stream to a landlord. Never been turned down to rent an apartment for lack of verified income - I earn more as a retiree from all of my retirement income than 98 percent of "W2" workers.

Landlords don't want to see a copy of a "tax form". How do they know the information that somebody hands them on a "tax form" is real and was actually sent to the IRS? I can write down a whole bunch of good looking numbers on a tax form and print them out, but that verifies nothing.
For our rentals (in FL) and retirees, we ask for a 4506 (I think that's the form) to request a copy of the return FROM the IRS. We accept a wage and earnings transcript as well, or a "filed" copy of a return from someone's IRS account (if they have one).

Old 10-17-2023, 08:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I was in your shoes a few years back. I got a statement from my bank proving I had plenty of funds available to pay rent
Only issue I see, if they see you have $$ would they add a bunch of junk fees?

Old 10-17-2023, 08:29 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies2023 View Post
Yes easy to show any statements. The owners landlords management companies do not care about liquid cash or savings. THEY WANT PAY STUB COPIES, current.
They're dumb then. How do they know you're not a "broke millionaire?" You know people who make 130k a year but loaded up in debt buying or leasing 85k cars and the such. If you showed you had 200k in your checking account I'd like that far far more because I know you save money, not blow it. I'd take that over a w2 form.

Things are changing now though with many people, especially the younger generation doing self employment, side gigs, and making a majority of their income via cash and not getting a W2.

I have a relative who's a property manager. The complex is downtown Tampa and a lot of the condo renters are tech people, self employed techies who make like 150k a year but don't have a W2 and make a lot of their money in cash as free lancers.

If you're self employed and make a profit you get slaughtered by the IRS. I don't know of any self employed person who reports their actual income. Always doing max deductions possible for everthing for business expense. More profit you show, more you pay! It's horrible.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:21 AM

Bottom line -- if you are qualified, and you are dealing with an amatuer, inexperienced landlord or management company, then you have nothing to worry about.

In addition, if you are dealing with a professional, experienced landlord or management company, then, you have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach